The Punk Thread

RPS

Oh yeah, he's fucking great man. He had a lot of different projects as well, the Reatards is the obvious one.

But there was also this group he was part of called Destruction Unit. They were fantastic, it's pretty garagey like the Reatards but with a little bit of a Sci-Fi sound to it. Ya know, a bit of synth and effects added.

It's a shame he died so young because he had so much more to offer to music.

I'll try. So start with Destroy All Monsters, Detroit band featuring I think Ron Asheton and Fred Smith of the Stoooges and MC5 respectively.

Then the Avengers, they were cool, from LA.

Bikini Kill rules.

X-Ray Spex are one of the better known bands with Poly Styrene fronting them. She might be a bit too abrasive for some.

The Vice Squad.

If I think of others I'll post them.

• Like 1

How I feel when my niece and her friends talk about getting "dressed up" to go to a punk show on Greencastle...

Came across this song a few weeks ago, been loving it ever since. And it fits in with the female fronted punk bands share-fest that has been going on!

Although, looks like the band hasn't really done anything in 6 or so years. Anyone know of a band that has a similar sound?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RPS said:

@VerbalRick

Garage punk recommendations. I loved me some Jay Reatard and all the stuff you posted. 

I'll do my best. I used to be heavy into it, but not as much these days, back when I was 20 or so I was diving into all that garage punk stuff. So we got the Reatards and Destruction Unit.

So, these guys are really cool. I actually just started listening to them recently myself, don't know much about them though. Reminds me of the Kids a bit, they have a bit of garage, bit of punk, bit of power pop in them it seems.

Japanese band by the name of Teengenerate, named taken from a Dictators song. Pretty fucking cool, that low-fi really gritty garage rocking sound.

Baseball Furies. What a cool name right?

So if you're going to get into garage punk, this is the best band to start with. The Mummies, these guys are fucking dirty gritty rock personified, very minimal shit, but I mean fucking killer if you just want no bullshit rock and roll.

Thanks for asking for recommendations, made me realize I should have been checking these bands out more myself. There is a record label, not sure if it still exists, called Goner Records that may have even been founded by Jay Reatard. Anyway, they have a lot of the best garage bands signed to the label, and they even used to do a weekend festival called "Goner Fest" (clever right?) where they'd get all these fucking garage bands to play. I used to bullshit a lot with some of the guys in the old soulseek chat rooms about this. The roots and influences behind this is much like you'd find from the Cramps, old 50s rock and roll with some punk but dialed up to whatever they wanted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...