Madden NFL 13

DYSI

I am frustratingly terrible at this game. I throw probably, on average, four interceptions per game. I am the Seahawks and started the season 0-4 before winning two straight (including beating the league leading 5-0 Patriots). I thought that was my turning point, but then I was murdered by the 49ers (six interceptions and three fumbles) and then an overtime loss to the 5-1 Lions. Aside from two games, though, I have only lost by seven points or less, so I'm at least close.

The first thing I must say, the Seahawks are a team that aren't exactly a team that are going to be competitive against anyone in the NFL from the start.

Secondly, I suggest you ramp down the difficulty to a more accomodating level and try starting from there. If it gets too easy then you make it harder again. There is no need banging your head into a wall whilst there is a door right next to it.

I'm only on Pro (or whatever is the level above rookie). When I was on rookie, I was winning games 35-0 and 28-3. But I guess I am two overtime losses from being 4-4 instead of 2-6. And I admittedly know very little about football - especially NFL - so it's understandable why I'm losing. Half of my interceptions thrown are because I get so excited and forget to throw the ball away and instead throw straight into their defence. It's still a fun game.

And I figured the Seahawks would be a good challenge for me. I wanted an average team or so.

Well clearly playing an average team when you yourself aren't that skilled in the game makes the game all the more harder for you.

A tip I can give you is to not gun it on every play, the AI realises you are pass heavy and will adapt and either try to attack your QB or just cover all the receivers to death. One will get you sacked a whole lot and the other makes you throw lots of interceptions.

Try a run play at least every down, you don't have to run for much but just do it to keep the opponents guessing.

On throwing plays you don't have to throw it as soon as the ball is snapped, most of the time you have a window in which you can throw the ball and try to make a quick glance at all the receivers and see if they are being followed or someone is standing between you and him. If that is the case, don't try to toss it to him and move on to the next guy. You get faster at it the more times you do it and if you can make quick reads of the snap you have enough time to let the receiver do his thing and throw it at him...

Also another new thing in Madden 13 is that you can lead your passes, so for instance you got WR1 breaking free of his CB and he running into the open, you can aim in front of him or wherever with the left analog stick whilst you are pressing the respective button. That makes the QB toss it to the area you have chosen and your WR can run right into it and grab it. When you see a target, try to lead the ball where there are no safeties or cornerbacks close.

Just remember that not all your passes will be completed, and in real life the stud QB's (talking bout Brady, Rodgers, Manning&Manning) only hit around 50-60% of their passes.

The biggest thing I can suggest is to stay calm and see play develop, your controller will vibrate when people are getting close so you get an indication that you are under pressure or not. Try to wait for the precise moment where your receiver loses his coverage or gets in that gap between zones and throw it to him. If it's good then it will hit, and if it doesn't then it doesn't.

Another big thing is that you mustn't go for big gains every single time down the field, that is a sure fire way to get quick 3 and out offenses and also interceptions. Try to play quick passes like slants and focus on the small yardage stuff whilst doing a run here and there.

For an intermediate hint, you can also audible during passing plays and ordering your receivers to run different routes. Changing a guy from a streak (straight line) to a drag (runs horizontally for short gain) makes that receiver a nice go to guy when the rest is covered.

The tough thing is with Madden, it's hard to learn from reading and I can only advice you to keep trying and keep working at it. I myself didn't know diddly poop about American Football 3 years ago, but I just tried to keep at it and stay calm on every passing play and eventually you start to learn what is a good play and what is a bad play, and I still throw boneheaded passes right into the hands of the defender a lot of times.

I just started an offline career, simulated the first pre-season game and it seems to leave the starters in for the whole game? Horrible. I can't be bothered to play pre-season but I want my back-ups to get playing time.

Also I can tell there's been three trades or so by reading the Twitter feed but is there no where I can go to see a history of transactions? There's been trades involving Pierre Thomas, Isaac Redman and Marcus Trufant, I would like to see the specifics.

Isn't there a screen for the trade block either? I know how to put someone on the block from the roster screen but there isn't anywhere I can go to check up on it, I just have to remember off the top of my head who's on my block?

Edited by Super Daws

I just started an offline career, simulated the first pre-season game and it seems to leave the starters in for the whole game? Horrible. I can't be bothered to play pre-season but I want my back-ups to get playing time.

Also I can tell there's been three trades or so by reading the Twitter feed but is there no where I can go to see a history of transactions? There's been trades involving Pierre Thomas, Isaac Redman and Marcus Trufant, I would like to see the specifics.

Isn't there a screen for the trade block either? I know how to put someone on the block from the roster screen but there isn't anywhere I can go to check up on it, I just have to remember off the top of my head who's on my block?

If you want to get some backups in your pre-season games, just go into the game as if you're going to play it and then simulate it. It'll play out like a pre-season game rather than simming.

Same goes for me about the trades. I have no idea where the hell you would find out about that.

Well clearly playing an average team when you yourself aren't that skilled in the game makes the game all the more harder for you.

A tip I can give you is to not gun it on every play, the AI realises you are pass heavy and will adapt and either try to attack your QB or just cover all the receivers to death. One will get you sacked a whole lot and the other makes you throw lots of interceptions.

Try a run play at least every down, you don't have to run for much but just do it to keep the opponents guessing.

On throwing plays you don't have to throw it as soon as the ball is snapped, most of the time you have a window in which you can throw the ball and try to make a quick glance at all the receivers and see if they are being followed or someone is standing between you and him. If that is the case, don't try to toss it to him and move on to the next guy. You get faster at it the more times you do it and if you can make quick reads of the snap you have enough time to let the receiver do his thing and throw it at him...

Also another new thing in Madden 13 is that you can lead your passes, so for instance you got WR1 breaking free of his CB and he running into the open, you can aim in front of him or wherever with the left analog stick whilst you are pressing the respective button. That makes the QB toss it to the area you have chosen and your WR can run right into it and grab it. When you see a target, try to lead the ball where there are no safeties or cornerbacks close.

Just remember that not all your passes will be completed, and in real life the stud QB's (talking bout Brady, Rodgers, Manning&Manning) only hit around 50-60% of their passes.

The biggest thing I can suggest is to stay calm and see play develop, your controller will vibrate when people are getting close so you get an indication that you are under pressure or not. Try to wait for the precise moment where your receiver loses his coverage or gets in that gap between zones and throw it to him. If it's good then it will hit, and if it doesn't then it doesn't.

Another big thing is that you mustn't go for big gains every single time down the field, that is a sure fire way to get quick 3 and out offenses and also interceptions. Try to play quick passes like slants and focus on the small yardage stuff whilst doing a run here and there.

For an intermediate hint, you can also audible during passing plays and ordering your receivers to run different routes. Changing a guy from a streak (straight line) to a drag (runs horizontally for short gain) makes that receiver a nice go to guy when the rest is covered.

The tough thing is with Madden, it's hard to learn from reading and I can only advice you to keep trying and keep working at it. I myself didn't know diddly poop about American Football 3 years ago, but I just tried to keep at it and stay calm on every passing play and eventually you start to learn what is a good play and what is a bad play, and I still throw boneheaded passes right into the hands of the defender a lot of times.

Thanks for the help. I lost my next game 17-10, although I only threw two interceptions (one was on a hail mary with three seconds left in the second quarter). After I assumedly get fired at the end of the season, I'm going to try a career with whoever is the best team in the league and see how that goes.

No transaction records, bizarrely. I think they gave some lame-duck excuse about not wanting to add too much and avoid potentially breaking stuff, but it was utter bullshit.

It's huge. Especially in terms of on the field, the new physics are a total game-changer, the wr/db interaction is much improved, and play actions and screens actually work! Might be worth reading around about features though, franchise mode is different now, coupled with superstar mode as Connected Careers. It's great, but it has come at a price - no fantasy drafts, no player editing.

Also Phil Sims is a grating cunt.

It's huge. Especially in terms of on the field, the new physics are a total game-changer, the wr/db interaction is much improved, and play actions and screens actually work! Might be worth reading around about features though, franchise mode is different now, coupled with superstar mode as Connected Careers. It's great, but it has come at a price - no fantasy drafts, no player editing.

Also Phil Sims is a grating cunt.

Yeah, but how does he act in the game?

• Like 9

Screens work? I have never had a screen work in my life on this game or past games. The blocking is total gash for me and I end up getting 1-2 yards at most if not just plain yard lossage.

And I got the same thing with pitches, outside handoffs work fine and dandy for me but when I pitch the linebacker is on my back before he can even get out of the backfield.

Also, In the next patch there must be a ''Kill Simms'' option, because he is truly terrible. He has made me miss Chris Collinsworth of all people.

Edited by Jasonmufc

The annoying thing is, he sounds brilliant and natural. It's just what he says is rubbish sometimes, he needs to give more credit for good play.

I have had much more success with screens this time around. I've found you need to drop back a little further and wait a sec to make the throw. That's with a halfback, not had as much luck with wideouts.