EWB's Favorite Singer III: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Christ, not the easiest...

Chris Cornell, Nick Cave, Louis Armstrong, Johnny Cash, Trent Reznor, Kurt Cobain, Florence, Thom Yorke, Matt Bellamy, Morrissey

1. Thom Yorke - It's a toss up between Yorke and Moz, it really is, but based on the fact that he's the only singer to make me cry through his music, he HAS to win this. Fake Plastic Tree's is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, but also one of the more soul destroying ones.

2. Morrissey - His solo stuff can be a bit samey and occasionally a bit wank, but The Smiths were amazing from start to finish (sans a few covers like Golden Lights and London). He'd be there if he only did There Is A Light...but so many Smiths songs evoke reactions from me, whether it be a wry smile or laugh or a choked-up throat. Moz is awesome.

3. Florence - Her product doesn't particularly inspire me. And aside from a small minority of her songs, I'm just really not that much of a fan. My girlfriend chastises me for it, claiming 'Flo' to be amazing and wonderful, but besides some nice pins and her gorgeous voice, she just doesn't appeal to me. It's a shame too, because I want to like her, I really do. However, her voice is SO good she gets her without me really being a big Florence fan.

4. Chris Cornell - It'll start to bottle-neck here because I rate Cornell, Reznor, Cobain and Cash all around the same area, vocally speaking that is. All evoke similar reactions from me, yet I've chosen Cornell here because 'Beyond The Wheel' contains one of the hardest pitch changes in any song I've heard, and yet he absolutely bosses it. I can hit it, but to have the emotion and power in your voice like he does, well, you'd get thrown on this list too if you could achieve it.

5. Johnny Cash - Does great covers - particularly Hurt, but "The Man Comes Around" is probably his crowning achievement for me. Not exactly in an emotional response-type way, more that I could listen to that song forever and I wouldn't get tired of it. And it's all in the vocals. A fantastic talent that made his more 'storytelling' songs interesting. Had a great speaking voice too. A unique talent.

6. Trent Reznor - Prefer his version of Hurt, I'd hazard a guess that this is the only reason he made the list.

7. Kurt Cobain - Probably deserves to be higher, but with it being ages since I heard Nirvana, Kurt's ranking has probably suffered here. I'm sure he'll get votes from elsewhere. I love the agony in his voice and how raw his vocals always were. Nirvana Unplugged is one of my favourite sets ever performed.

8. Nick Cave - Once had to 'perform' as Nick Cave in a script I wrote (well co-wrote, but whatever) at college. It was based on 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' and I instantly admired how creepy and stalkerish Cave's voice really was. I failed miserably in putting on his croak, which is a shame because that croak served him well and is much more preferable than the croak of, say, Tom Waits.

9. Matt Bellamy - A poor man's Thom Yorke, although that's not really an insult to him. He's here because I enjoy listening to his voice, but he's this low down because I don't really care for the words coming out of his mouth, and sometimes that affects my enjoyment of everything else. He's great but sings about war and death and conspiracy a bit much for my liking. Great falsetto though.

10. - Louis Armstrong - 'I see tree's of green' will always be my go-to karaoke song at the end of a night, even if I'm always too drunk to know the lyrics. However, I'm usually drunk enough to try and do the whole "Deep voice laced with emotion and feeling". I love the song, I love the man and I love his voice. Could have got 9 had Matt Bellamy not stolen that spot.

Okay, tentatively closing it. You didn't have to mention editing your lists before but you have to do so now. I'll still allow ballots if someone has a late one they haven't submitted, but you've not got much time.

Sorry for the lateness of this. I've been umming and aahing as to whether my musical taste is diverse enough to justify pulling a list together, but I was listening to Johnny Cash today and decided I had to express my adoration of him in list form.

1. Johnny Cash

2. Morrissey (From the Smiths, not Men Behaving Badly, but that was probably obvious)

3. Louie Armstrong

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. Laura Marling

6. Aretha Franklin

7. Steve Earle

8. Kimya Dawson

9. Leonard Cohen

10. Joe Strummer

1. Mike Patton (various)

2. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

3. Morrissey

4. Maynard James Keenan (Tool/APC)

5. Jarvis Cocker (Pulp)

6. Ian Astbury (The Cult)

7. Shane MacGowan (The Pogues)

8. Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw/Head Automatica)

9. Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan)

10 Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride)

Could have spent more time on this, but felt it would be good to add a few more names to the list.

• 2 weeks later...

GoGo gave me permission to post, so here it is!

1. Tom Waits

2. Johnny Cash

3. Iggy Pop

4. Lou Reed

5. Warren Zevon

6. David Bowie

7. Morissey

8. Joe Strummer

9. Trent Reznor

10. Ian Curtis

Probably needs a bit of adjustment, but screw it, I'm gonna leave it like this.

Okay, finally finished! Voting turnout was nowhere near as good as two years ago, so only 44 artists hit the minimum cutoff point of ten points + 2 ballotes and I'm going to include all of them. Also, the lower turnout meant that there were some interesting examples of a couple people liking an artist meaning a pretty high placement on the list.

But there were the usual assortment of names who appeared on multiple ballots but didn't reach the minimum amount of points needed to show up here. They include;

Michael Stipe!

Trent Reznor!

James Hetfield! (:w00t:)

Billie Holiday! (:()

Whoever Nate Ruess is!

Sadly, Kimya Dawson, meaning I just missed out on having someone that I actually used to know show up on a list I'm tallying!

And much much more!

Tomorrow I'll post the first update, covering the tie at 43rd place to... another tie at 39th place. Stay tuned.

Hey metalman, I know someone who has a signed picture of cher lloyd and I figured I'd ask you >_>.

Also, here's a picture of her pre-fame and with her biggest best friend :shifty:

13040_193480396798_3827456_n.jpg

Will.I.Am would be horrified.