EWB's Favorite Singer III: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Let's go.

43. Maynard James Keenan (10 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: #46)

ozzyosbourne.jpg

43. Ozzy Osbourne (10 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

39. Nick Cave (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

39. Elliott Smith (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

39. Steve Earle (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

39. Stevie Wonder (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: #32)

NEXT TIME: More people!

Guest mr. potato head

Eclectic mix. Stevie Wonder should objectively be much higher and Steve Earle probably shouldn't be on the list but is cool to see. Ozzy's just ridiculous and don't know much about the rest.

Of the last group, Steve Wonder is too low in my opinion, everything else is fine. On to this one.

37. Ian Curtis (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: #44)

37. Louis Armstrong (11 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

34. Baby Huey (12 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

34. Mike Patton (12 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

34. Florence Welch (12 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

Yeah, I'd say this year's list especially is pretty partial to uniqueness/character than technical ability. Part of it is the low turnout, which means there's less "oh, they're a good singer, better throw them in" names and more specialty stuff.

I was one of the people who voted for Ian Curtis and I'm sad to see that he is not higher up. He might not be the best from a technical point of view, but I really love his voice because it is so unique and packed full of emotion. But I'm a sucker for Joy Division anyways, and I indeed value character in the voice over technical ability.

Which is perfectly fine, as character is arguably just as important these days (hell, especially these days. You think Florence Welch would still be as touted if she was twice her age? Doubtful.)

To me she already sounds like a chubby 40 year old. So it wouldn't matter.

I was one of the people who voted for Ian Curtis and I'm sad to see that he is not higher up. He might not be the best from a technical point of view, but I really love his voice because it is so unique and packed full of emotion. But I'm a sucker for Joy Division anyways, and I indeed value character in the voice over technical ability.

I also voted for him, and pretty much agree with you here. I liked how haunting his vocals sounded, sort of reminds me of Nick Cave in the Birthday Party.

I may have also voted Ozzy but I'm not sure. It's a similar thing to Ian Curtis, he's got a haunting sound that molded perfectly with Black Sabbath's sound. He could sound sinister, and set the mood with some of the higher notes he'd hit. My vote for him was primarily with his work with Black Sabbath, especially from the album Paranoid (he's great on War Pigs).

Sadly, that may be the only two singers I voted for making this list. Perhaps I should have voted for Iggy Pop, but I rate him more as just a great frontman with incredible stage presence rather than as a great singer (which in all reality, he had a great sound. Fuck I should have voted for him).

Fit as fuck though. :shifty:

Really? Sounds like she should be hot, but can't say I see it.

Glad to see Ian Curtis on this list, haven't really listened to many others, I really need to get round to listening to more classic voices. Maybe this thread can be my guide.

Lot of people say as much, but I have a thing for leggy redheads.

In more list related talk, it's an encouraging sign that so far I like or at least see the merit in every name. Hopefully see a few I voted for coming along too.

32. Dallas Green (12 pts, appeared on 3 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

leonard_cohen.jpg

32. Leonard Cohen(12 pts, appeared on 3 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

jimMorrison.jpg

31. Jim Morrison (13 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

30. Al Green (13 pts, appeared on 3 ballots) (Last Time: #50)

I don't really know Maynard James keenan. I've never really wanted to listen to the Tools or the Perfect Circles. From what I've heard, I'm not bowled over. He's competent I guess.

Ozzy Osbourne isn't a technically brilliant singer. But his voice is unique, it's iconic. It's delivered a plethora of stonking tunes. Thumbs up.

I do like the Birthday Party and the bad Seeds and Grinderman and so on, but I don't think Nick Cave's voice is particularly exceptional. It's not why I listen to the music. It's just yer average deep voice really. Some brilliant tunes, mind. Don't take that as a slight against Nick Cave.

When I first listened to Elliott Smith I found his double tracked vocals really annoying. That said, it's part and parcel of his music and you can't really have one without the other. And I grew to love the music. He would never ever get anywhere near my list because I don't think he's that great a singer or possesses an especially interesting voice but I love his music all the same so it's cool he's here.

I know Steve Earle's really highly thought of, but to me it's just sounded like Bon Jovi doing country. I prefer my country music a bit less over the top. I'm not really into the over-production of his music - at times it veers a bit too close to Rednex territory for my liking. That goes for his voice as well. That said, Galway Girl is an amazing song, but I prefer it being performed by other people.

I've never really thought of Stevie Wonder as a great singer. Simply because he's so much of an all-rounder that I never really single him out as just being a singer. That said, he does have a good voice. Still, I'd probably not consider voting for him, simply because his voice isn't particularly distinctive in the manner of other R&B singers such as Otis Redding or Al Green. Still, he's a really good singer, but I find it a bit off-putting when he does his growly voice.

I've never really been a huge fan of Joy Division, but Ian Curtis' voice is without a doubt their greatest asset (aside from the hysteria and personality cult arising from his suicide :shifty: ). But a brilliantly haunting voice, and an electrifying performer.

Louis Armstrong is a great singer. I much prefer him as a trumpeter, simply because a number of the songs he sang veered a bit towards the syrupy side. That said, a number of them are still really good, and that's due in no small part to Satchmo's warm raspy tones.

Right. I must admit here that I've never heard Baby Huey before. But I love the Curtis Mayfield version of Hard Times, but I really think I like this one better, although that might be because it has a bit of a harder arrangement. Either way, really good voice. Can't believe I've missed out on this.

Mike Patton's voice just annoys me. Sorry.

Florence and the Machine. Eh...wot? :/ I mean, Flozza has a couple of good songs, but her stupid, blaring, tuneless, foghorn leghorn holler is undeniably the weakest aspect of the whole package there.

Dallas Green's voice being given greater exposure in Alexisonfire was what turned them shit. I mean, he's not a dreadful singer. But neither is James Blunt.

Lenny Cohen's voice just gets better with age. So warm, so full of character. Some times he even changes its pitch! Love it. Love him. I seem to enjoy Leonard Cohen's music a lot more now that he's just a happy old man playing his tunes and having fun rather than a miserable guy getting ripped off by his manager.

Jim Morrison is always criticised for his daft lyrics, which is a bit unfair, because who in pop music hasn't put daft lyrics to a song though? But as a singer he was perfect for the Doors. I like Jim Morrison, even though he was a bit silly.

Al Green's brilliant, isn't he? And he still is, judging by that clip.

• Like 2

Totally agree with metalman on Mike Patton, I said this before (and Cloudy disowned me for it) but I really think he's very overrated. I think a lot of people find his bands to be exceptional and unique, but I think stuff like Fantomas is just silly, and seems to devolve into ridiculous sound effects just as the song has a chance to get interesting.

And I've always like Jim Morrison, I grew up listening to the Doors and enjoy his vocals.

Aw, man, I love Stevie Wonder's singing on "Living For the City." I mean, I'm glad he rarely uses the growling but it's so good there!

Jim Morrison's voice is really good. His lyrics were pompous but it was '60s psychadelia nonsense, who cares? And Al Green is the shit. On to the next batch.

27. Aretha Franklin (14 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: #23)

27. PJ Harvey (14 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

27. Roy Orbison (14 pts, appeared on 2 ballots) (Last Time: #11)

26. Steven Page (15 pts, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

Yup! So that happened.