Godfatha does WCW 1996

Godfatha

I don't know if I've ever read a diary in which the backstage workings were as interesting as in this one. Okay, IWF was up there, but ya can't really compare the two. In any event, congrats on the pinning, and keep the good stuff coming!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read through this entire thing and I've got to say that its absolutely awesome. I like the backstage segments just as much as the actual shows, which are great as well. I hope you continue this, as it is seriously one of the better diaries in the Dome.

• 1 month later...

OOC: Sorry about the really late update. I've been really busy with school and everything. Things have really been taking its toll. That and I'm still trying to find a new format for Nitro. I'm still not comfortable as the matches are too long but I'm in a transition period. As more Nitro's progress it will be more "time based" action that you'll see here. The promos and angles will still be written out as I enjoy doing that but the matches have been getting more and more tedious so I had to cut them down. So if you have any comments (good or bad) about the new style, or any suggestions, do leave them. Thanks.

Monday, August 19th, Miami Arena, Monday Night Nitro. 6504 people in attendance. $260160 from ticket sales.

7:45pm CST

Sophie and I had just finished booking Nitro for the fifth time. The first time Sophie and I booked it, it didn’t meet Eric’s needs for the n.W.o. Each time he told us what he wanted and it became more and more frustrating. When Sophie and I arrived at the arena at 4pm, the boys were wondering what was going on. Well, the WCW boys. Even still, we couldn’t tell them anything. The complete lack of organization tonight was a disaster and if a decent Nitro can be salvaged from tonight, I’ll be happy.

Ric walked by us and nodded his head before joining the other Horsemen. Sophie and I posted the booking sheet on the wall while the boys cluttered around us. I could hear them grumbling about how they had no idea what was going on.

Regal:”Why do you have the booking sheet? Where’s Eric?”

”Eric can’t be here at this moment, so he gave it to me. He apologizes for the lateness but the crew here were giving him a hard time so he had to deal with actually getting this arena before booking.”

I walked over to the gorilla position as Bobby and Tony were testing their mics to see if their feed was coming through to the television audience. I poked my head through a side curtain to take a look at the set. The Nitro set was completely different. It was redesigned to have an “n.W.o.” theme. It didn’t look like how it was when the n.W.o. vandalized the set but the Nitro sign above the entrance ramp said n.W.o. Nitro and the ring aprons were just plain black. There was no WCW logo on the ring canvas and the two WCW signs that were on each side of the entrance were replaced an “N” and an “O”. On the wall of the entrance ramp there was a giant “W.” The crowd was piling in and I could tell it would be a hot crowd. I could only hope that this Nitro meets everyone’s standards as I wasn’t too happy with this. Whatever I booked, Eric changed. That was against our agreement but I can’t talk to him about this now. The n.W.o. booking that Eric wanted kept changing. It’s like the guy can’t even make up his mind.

Booker T and Stevie Ray walked by us.

”Hey guys, listen, about last night…”

Booker T:”Save it man. You ain’t even in charge of this shit. Don’t even try and talk to us right now. We gotta have a talk with Eric, pure and simple.” Stevie Ray turned to face Booker.

Stevie Ray:”What good will it do man? He doesn’t listen to us.”

”For what it’s worth, if you guys wanna talk about this, you can come to me. Eric listens to me and maybe I can put in the good word for you guys?”

Booker and Stevie Ray looked at each other and a smile came across their face.

Booker T:”Thanks man. I appreciate that.”

Just then I heard the massive pyrotechnic go off signaling the beginning of Nitro. The crowd roared as I turned on my monitor to watch Nitro. The video feed shifted from the pyro display to the ring as it zoomed out to show the brand new set. Fans were holding up their signs and cheering their hearts out.

8:00pm

Schiavone:”The fallout of Road Wild is here tonight in Miami! We are here live in the Miami Arena and this….is Nitro! Hello everyone thank you for tuning into TNT for Monday Night Nitro. I’m Tony Schiavone and with me as always is the Brain, Bobby Heenan. And Bobby, what a night we had last night.”

Heenan:”You can say that again Schiavone. Every single title changed hands, and what’s even worse, the n.W.o. are more powerful than ever.”

Schiavone:”You got that right. Kevin Nash with the Television Title, Scott Hall with the United States Title, Hollywood Hogan with the WCW World Heavyweight Title, and on top of that, our Commissioner, Comissioner Bischoff, aligned himself with the n.W.o. last night.”

Heenan:”Well he’s not our Commissioner, that’s for damn sure. This is a dark day for WCW and as you can see from all around us, they are in control Schiavone.”

Schiavone:”That it is folks, but tonight, perhaps a saving grace. The mystery superstar we have heard about for the past few weeks debuts tonight. Whose side is he on? Ours, or theirs?”

Heenan:”That’s right Schiavone, we were beaten down last night but tonight, there’s a new hope for WCW, and it all begins with this superstar.”

Schiavone:”On top of that folks. Be prepared for this. This is history right here, tonight. I’ve also gotten word that tonight…the Horsemen will announce their fourth member.”

Heenan:”You’re right Schiavone, this is big, this is huge. I told you that there is a new hope for WCW. We may have beaten down last night, but as we saw, Ric Flair is still with us. He showed us why he’s the man, he’s still with the Horsemen, and tonight Schiavone, tonight we add a new member!”

Schiavone:”Also tonight, Commissioner Bischoff will be making his announcement later tonight. So as much as I hate to say it, you’ll wanna stay tuned for that as well.”

Heenan:”That’s right Schiavone, I don’t wanna hear it, but I know the boys in the back do. I talked to them earlier, and lemme tell you, they’re pissed. They’re pissed at Bischoff and they will use whatever Bischoff has to say to fuel their fire to take on the n.W.o.”

Schiavone:”Speaking of the n.W.o., Sting takes on Scott Hall tonight and Chris Benoit will be taking on Kevin Nash. Bobby, could Sting be that fourth man?”

Heenan:”It’s anyone’s guess that’s for sure, but I have to tell you I honestly don’t know. From what my sources tell me Schiavone, the Horsemen are taking it upon themselves to ridding WCW of this n.W.o. plague. So it could very well be that Sting is the final man.”

Schiavone:”Also tonight, two men who lost their matches tonight will try and leave tonight as a winner as Lex Luger takes on Lord Stephen Regal. Harlem Heat will try to recover from their loss as they take on Public Enemy. And now, as you can hear from the music, Rey Mysterio Jr. is taking on Psicosis!”

8:08pm

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis

Schiavone:”There you see Mysterio with his Cruiserweight title that he won off of Dean Malenko last night. And boy, what a match that was.”

Heenan:”You got that right Schiavone. Now here, we got Mysterio lookin’ to continue his winning streak against Psicosis.”

Schiavone:”Folks, we should mention that this match is a non-title match but it should be one to watch.”

Mysterio and Psicosis were in the ring as the bell rang. Both men started off the match with a grapple. Psicosis threw Mysterio to the ground and applied a headlock. At the 1:00 mark, Mysterio stood up. Psicosis, with Mysterio’s head still in his arms, pushed Mysterio to the ropes. Mysterio climbed the ropes and flipped out of the headlock and hit a reverse DDT. A cover attempt was made but only a 1 count came out of it. Psicosis took control of the match at 2:20 with a powerbomb reversal of a Mysterio head scissors. Psicosis tried to get the cover but only got a 1 count. After a series of arm drags by Psicosis, Psicosis hit his face buster. Again, he went for a cover but only got a two count. At 5:30 Mysterio took control of the match by rolling through a flying cross body by Psicosis. Mysterio hit a hurricanrana afterwards and attempted a cover but only got a two count. The crowd was still fairly quiet during this match and only popped for the big flying moves. Besides that, the crowd didn’t seem to appreciate the hardwork that Mysterio and Psicosis were putting into this match. Psicosis was thrown outside the ring at 7:15. Mysterio followed it up by slingshot moonsault which started off from the turnbuckle and slingshotted himself off the top rope to hit the moonsault on Psicosis on the outside. The crowd popped for that move as both men lay on the ground. Mysterio crawled back in the ring before the count of ten. Psicosis rolled in shortly afterwards. Mysterio attempted a pin attempt but a two count only prevailed. At 8:00 Mysterio went to the top turnbuckle as Psicosis began to stand. Mysterio attempted a flying crossbody but Psicosis caught him. Psicosis lifted Mysterio up for a tilt-a-whirl slam but Mysterio reversed it by adding a few more twirls and planted Psicosis with a DDT. Another pin attempt but only a two count. At 9:00 Psicosis took control of the match as Mysterio missed a springboard leg drop. Psicosis propped Mysterio on the top turnbuckle and hit a super hurricanrana. Psicosis went for the cover but once again only managed to get a two count. Psicosis went to the top rope for a top rope legdrop but Mysterio rolled out of the way. Mysterio avoided the 10 count by standing up in time. At 11:15 Mysterio hit the body scissors into a bulldog and went to the apron. Psicosis got up to his feet as Mysterio jumped onto the top rope. Afterwards he hit a hurricanrana from the top rope and rolled in for the pinfall and victory.

Mysterio raised his arms in victory as the Cruiserweight Title was awarded to him. Mysterio stood on the turnbuckle saluting some of the fans. Some of them responded back to him but others did not. Just then a masked wrestler appeared in the ring. He stood right behind Mysterio and slammed him down onto the canvas with a big powerbomb. Security jumped right into the ring as the masked wrestler quickly escaped the ring. He jumped back over the barricade and escaped the grasp of the security guard standing by the barricade. The camera shifted back to the announcers.

Schiavone:”What a match by Mysterio, but just who was that who came in?”

Heenan:”I have no idea Schiavone. I can only guess it was some fan or some stranger.”

Schiavone:”Folks, we appreciate you coming to our shows and cheering our superstars, but please, do not enter the ring, for yours and the wrestler’s safety’s sake. I can only imagine that this….thug will be taken care off by security and the local authorities. Well folks, we gotta take a break, but stay tuned as Chris Benoit takes on Kevin Nash and Sting will be in action against Scott Hall! It’s all here, live on TNT!”

78%, 62%, 95%

8:22pm

Psicosis walked by me without saying a word. He waved any checkups by me. Mysterio came limping back to the backstage area. Once he cleared the curtain he walked just fine. He nodded his head to me and also waved a check up as he walked backstage with his title in hand.

Sophie:”Hey, have you talked to Lex since last night?”

”No I haven’t. Why?”

Sophie:”From what I heard, he’s still pissed off.”

”Well is he around here? Can I speak to the guy?”

Sophie:”No, but right before his match he should be here obviously. Maybe you could speak to him then?”

”Yeah, I’ll try. If you see him, tell him I’d like to talk to him.”

Sophie walked away smiling as Eddie came up to me and patted his hand on my shoulder man.

Eddie:”She likes you man!”

”Eddie….how are you feeling?”

Eddie:”Ehh…homes, don’t dodge the subject! That Sophie girl, she wants whatever your perscribin’ man!” Eddie laughed afterwards while I smiled and lowered my head a bit. I raised my hand to show him the wedding ring.

”How are you though, seriously Eddie?”

Eddie:”Me? I’ve never felt better man! I feel rejuvenated. I can’t wait to get out there man and light up the arena.”

”You’re not feeling…down or upset?”

Eddie:”Naahh man! Now enough with the questions! I just wanted to tell you that mammacita wanted you.”

”Come and see me if you do feel down alright?”

Eddie nodded his head as he walked away with a cup of coffee. Man, I’d have to keep an eye on him. But the break is over and we return to Nitro.

8:25pm

Schiavone:”Welcome back to Nitro folks. And Bobby, what a way to kick off Nitro: Mysterio squaring off against Psicosis. What a match.”

Heenan:”I’ll give it to Mysterio he did fight a good fight.”

Schiavone:”Well up next folks….”

The n.W.o. arrive in Miami…

The lights turned off as the n.W.o. theme music played. The crowd cheered for a bit but when the white spotlight hit Bischoff the crowd booed. Bischoff was wearing his usual leather jacket and black jeans but also was wearing his n.W.o. shirt. He had a smug expression on his face as he bowed for the fans who booed him. He then pointed to the entrance as the other three wrestlers came out. Kevin Nash walked out first carrying the WCW Television Title in his right hand. Nash lifted up his arms as the crowd booed him. Scott Hall came out next with the United States title draped across his shoulder. He placed the title on the ground as he leaned and pointed with both arms to the entrance where Hollywood Hogan came out playing the WCW World Heavyweight Title like a guitar. He was wearing his feather boas and his Oakley sunglasses as they made their way to the ring. Bischoff grabbed the microphone as the camera feed returned to normal.

The crowd booed as Bischoff urged for some silence in the crowd. He held the microphone to his mouth but pulled it back down to let the crowd boo him some more. When the crowd died down as much as they could he held the microphone to his lips.

Bischoff:”So…you like what I’ve done with the place?!” The crowd booed as he pointed to the entrance ramp which was highlighting the n.W.o. ”And while we’re at it, lets hear it for Hollywood Hogan!” The crowd booed as Bischoff handed the microphone to Hogan. Bischoff began to bow to Hogan as he backed off slightly. Hogan put the microphone to his lips and immediately began speaking.

Hogan:”Last night, the n.W.o. fooled the entire world.” The crowd was booing some more as Hogan had a smug expression on his face. ”You people boo because you all bought that Bischoff would be biased towards the Giant. He was biased alright. This was a plan set in motion from day 1 as the n.W.o. always had Bischoff. We fooled all of you people. And now, Hollywood Hogan is…your WCW World Heavyweight Champion brother! Last night, I took The Giant down to size and showed the entire world what he truly is….a tiny punk!” The crowd was screaming at Hogan as he did his old school Hulk Hogan taunt. ”Last night, the n.W.o. did it. We took all the titles we came for. I told you from day one brother, we are here to change the face of professional wrestling. And we have. We have…Kevin Nash with the Television Title, Scott Hall beating that old fossil Ric Flair for the United States Title, Bischoff in control of WCW in our back pocket….and yours truly brother, Hulkamania…heh…running WILD at Road Wild on The Giant!” The crowd booed as Hogan did his old “hulking up” poses at the crowd. “And now Giant…whatcha gonna do brother? Whatcha gonna do….now that the n.W.o. has run wild on you?!”

Bischoff:”Giant…I know you wanted to keep your title. I know that you wanted to prove to yourself and to the entire world that you can keep the hopes of WCW alive. But believe it man, the n.W.o. are just too powerful. But rules are rules Giant, you will get your rematch at Fall Brawl, that’s for damn sure. But it will be in the most vicious structure of them all. Sixteen feet of steel surrounding this ring and inside will be you…Giant. And also inside this ring will be Hollywood Hogan and it will be for the World Heavyweight Title!” The crowd cheered with the mention of a steel cage match for the WCW Title but Hogan and Bischoff were still smiling as Nash and Hall taunted the crowd. ”Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing, there will be one other man in this ring, and he will be in the corner of Hollywood Hogan, and that’s….” Bischoff looked right into the camera and smiled. ”Me.” Bischoff and Hogan gave each other a high five while the crowd booed. ”And I don’t need to remind you Giant, that inside this cage, there are no disqualifications. It will just be you, Hollywood Hogan, and myself in a 2 on 1 matchup. There’s your rematch Giant!”

Hogan:”You see brother, you couldn’t beat me in a regular match, but I am a walking legend of wrestlers. I beat King Kong Bundy in a steel cage match brother. But you, you haven’t beaten me Giant. And your fate is sealed, at Fall Brawl brother, whatcha gonna do…when Hollywood Hogan and Eric Bischoff….beat you....to a bloody.... pulp!?”

The crowd booed as Hogan handed the microphone off to Bischoff.

96%

Bischoff:”Now then…we have all seen the videos of this new wrestler who’s supposed to come to our company. Whose side is he on? Ours? Or theirs? Well lemme tell you folks, I promised that the n.W.o. would grow in strength. I mean look at us, we control this company, and that’s just three wrestlers. Imagine what we can do with a fourth? Well, you’ve all been waiting for this new superstar to debut. Bobby and Tony, I know you two have been waiting for him to debut to take us out. Well..heh….sorry boys. He’s ours. Ladies and gentlemen, the newest superstar to debut for the New World Order….CHRIS…..JERICHO!”

The crowd booed as the n.W.o.’s theme music played and out walked Chis Jericho in his wrestling tights. He had his long hair and black pant-like tights with fire on them. His boots said “Jericho” on the side. Jericho taunted the crowd as he walked to the ring. Jericho stepped into the ring and extended his arms for the crowd’s appreciation. What he got instead was fans booing him. Bischoff handed Jericho the microphone.

Jericho:”Thank you Commissioner Bischoff and thank you all, for that warm reception. I was expecting nothing less from this two-bit dump of a city called Miami. I have sat back and watched WCW. I watched it with disgust. I wrestled all over the world and I conquered wherever I went. I came here hoping to finally defeat the best in this business so I can truly say, without a doubt, I am the best wrestler in this entire world. But what did I see when I looked at the two companies in North America? I see ridiculous gimmicks up North. And down here? A company who’s legacy is based on a Surfer, a fat man who can’t speak English properly, and this wrestler who thinks he’s the “man.” So finally, I saw the n.W.o. and I saw that they are the future of this business. I saw that this is what greatness is about. This is what greatness should be, and that this is what greatness is….personified.” The crowd was booing as Jericho held down the microphone. Jericho held it back up to his mouth. ”All of you people boo me because you are all jealous of the excellence that you know I posess. You all boo the n.W.o. because you know that they are greater than you can ever be. That is why Chris Jericho has come in. I achieved greatness wherever I went, and now I’m here to join the n.W.o. and show what true professional wrestling greatness is all about. I joined on this date because I knew, after Road Wild, WCW would be crippled. I knew that WCW would be demoralized. I knew….that WCW would be ripe for conquer. We have entered a new age, a new age of professional wrestling. We have entered a new age of greatness, now that Chris Jericho has arrived and joined…the New….World….Order.”

Jericho dropped the microphone when…

96%

Eddie:”Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on there Jericho.” Eddie walked through the curtain and the crowd cheered as Eddie had the microphone in his hand.

Schiavone:”It’s Eddie Guerrero!”

Heenan:”Thanks Schiavone…”

Eddie:”I know who you are Jericho. I’ve heard about you wherever I went. All I heard about was the “Lionheart Chris Jericho.” Lemme tell you something homes, WCW is not dead. We are still alive and we are still fighting. And by aligning yourself with the n.W.o., that makes you…my enemy. You talk about greatness Chris….lemme tell you one thing, you aren’t great….until you’ve beaten me here in this ring. You aren’t great, until you’ve beaten Sting in this ring. You aren’t great until you have beaten Ric Flair in this ring. You aren’t great until you have beaten ANYONE in this ring. You hear me essa? Wherever you went…sure you may have had a few victories. But you were just….a big fish, in a small pond. Now, you’ve entered WCW and aligned yourselves with those idiotas in that ring. You’re not in a small pond Chris, you’re in the largest tank swimming with sharks.”

Jericho:”Eddie, how dare you interrupt me. How dare…you interrupt my time, the n.W.o’s time. Don’t you have a burrito to make or something?”

Eddie:”Ohhh, a funny man are we? You like to be a joker, a clown homes? That’s fine by me. But lemme tell you something, everytime you step into that ring. You will always be a clown. You will always be looked down upon homes, until you prove yourself. Until you beat someone here in WCW, you will always be treated….like a clown.”

Jericho:”Take that back, take that back right now Eddie! Chris Jericho is NOT a clown. I am not a joke Eddie, and you had better watch what you say or else I’ll come down there and wipe the floor with you.”

Eddie:”Is that a challenge Chris? You want to beat me homes? Well…Lionheart, I’m standing right here. Let’s see if you have the guts to take me down without those tontas standing beside you!”

The crowd cheered as Bischoff held Jericho back.

Bischoff:”Eddie, you’ve crossed the wrong path. You two want to fight, so be it. Next week on Nitro, in Chris Jericho’s first match and…first victory here in WCW, he will be taking on you Eddie. And let’s see if you can back up those words?”

Schiavone:”Wow, Chris Jericho’s first match next week! Folks, stay tuned for Nash taking on Benoit as we gotta take a break!”

85%

8:38pm

I pulled off my headphones as Eddie walked backstage. He hung his head a bit as I walked over.

”Eddie…you okay?”

Eddie:”Hmm? Yeah…man. I’m okay. It’s just…I wish the promo would have been a little better you know? Bischoff is out there man, the booker and I wanted to impress him. I didn’t do it. I screwed it up royally. Dammit Eddie.”

”Eddie…relax. I thought it was great for something that was live. Just relax. Have some water and just breathe slowly okay?”

Eddie:”You’re the doc…”

I could now see what Dean was talking about earlier as all of the members of the n.W.o. walked backstage. Harlem Heat was walking towards the gorilla position and Booker just sort of stared at Bischoff. Jericho did not actually follow the n.W.o. to their locker room. Instead he grabbed a bottle of water and sat with Chris Benoit. Booker T and Stevie Ray stood waiting for their cue. They were oddly silent as Sophie came up to me.

Sophie:”I spoke to Lex…”

”And?”

Sophie:”Well he’s here but he told me to leave him alone.”

”Did you mention me?”

Sophie:”Didn’t have the chance.”

”Jesus….are we still on for drinks tonight?”

Sophie:”Well…this is a first. You asking me out? Why certainly doctor.”

”Excellent, I’ll find you after the show.”

Sophie:”I can’t wait…”

Booker T smirked at me and I had a sheepish look on my face as I shrugged my shoulders.

8:40pm

Harlem Heat vs. Public Enemy

Schiavone:”Welcome back folks to Monday Night Nitro! Stay tuned as Sting takes on Scott Hall later tonight. But right now here comes the Public Enemy!”

Heenan:”Normally I’d ask them what dumpster they crawled out of, but I’m afraid they’d take me seriously and point to the one out back.”

Schiavone:”And here comes a team looking to get a win, Harlem Heat. Fresh off of their loss of the WCW Tag Team titles to the Steiners, Harlem Heat looks focused.”

Heenan:”That’s right Schiavone. This team is focused and you can see it in their eyes. I feel they’re gonna make short work of Public Enemy and hopefully get another shot at their gold.”

Stevie Ray and Rocco Rock started things off in this match. A few punches were thrown by Rocco Rock towards Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray battled back and managed to put a headlock on Rocco Rock. Rocco Rock escaped by whipping Stevie Ray to the ropes and hitting a shoulder block on him. At 1:00 Rock went for a pinfall attempt. Rock then whipped Stevie Ray to the turnbuckle and began to beat on Stevie Ray with clubbing blows. Johnny Grunge tagged in at 2:30. Grunge hit a suplex on Stevie Ray and attempted another pin. Grunge dropped an elbow on Stevie Ray and hit a headlock on Stevie Ray. Grunge gave up on it immediately and sent Stevie Ray to the ropes. Stevie Ray dodged the clothesline and hit one of his own. Stevie Ray hit another one on Grunge as he tagged in Booker T at 3:45. Booker T hit a suplex of his own and dropped two leg drops across the neck of Grunge. Booker T lifted up Grunge to a sitting position and applied a sleeper hold to Grunge. Booker kneed the back of Grunge’s neck. The referee lifted up Grunge’s arm for the three count at 4:15. Grunge revived himself after his arm was dropped twice. The crowd was somewhat behind Grunge as he started to get to his feet. Grunge whipped Booker T to the ropes. Grunge lowered his head while Booker T hit a DDT. A pin attempt followed but was saved by Rocco Rock. The referee had to put Rocco Rock back which allowed the double team on Grunge. Stevie Ray stepped back onto the apron before the referee noticed. Booker T whipped Grunge to the ropes and hit a spinebuster before tagging in Stevie Ray at 5:25. Stevie Ray dropped a leg across the throat while Booker T dropped an elbow across the gut before leaving the ring. Stevie Ray threw Johnny Grunge outside the ropes at 6:30. Booker T grabbed Grunge and whipped him into the steel ring steps.

Schiavone:”Folks, we apologize but we gotta take a commercial break! We’ll be right back after these messages.”

The referee made some sort of gesture to both teams and the wrestling sort of slowed down. I guess they didn’t want to gas themselves as they weren’t going to be seen on television. Booker T was pelting Grunge with a few right hands while Stevie Ray decked Rocco Rock with a clothesline. At 8:45 Booker T whipped Grunge right into the guard rail as Nitro returned back from the commercial break. Booker T rolled Grunge into the ring and went for a pinfall attempt. The attempt was unsuccessful as Booker T tagged in Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray latched on a headlock as Grunge sort of lay there. Grunge didn’t really sell this headlock by Stevie Ray too well but Rocco Rock was banging on the turnbuckle to get Grunge to his feet. The crowd started to bang along as well. Grunge rose to his feet and made the hot tag at 10:10. Rocco Rock clotheslined Stevie Ray and Booker T as he entered the ring illegally. Rocco Rock delivered a big backbody drop to Stevie Ray and threw Booker T outside while the crowd was fired up. Rocco Rock hit a stiff clothesline on Stevie Ray and went for the unsuccessful pinfall attempt. Rocco Rock hit a suplex and climbed to the top turnbuckle. At 12:15 Rocco Rock successfully hit the Drive By. Rocco Rock went for the pinfall attempt afterwards and got a close nearfall as it was broken up by Booker T. The referee tried to get Booker T out as Grunge came back in and hit Stevie Ray with the reverse DDT. Grunge rolled backoutside the ring as Rocco Rock clotheslined Booker T over the top rope and outside of the ring before going for the cover. Public Enemy has just won the match.

The crowd popped as both members raised their hands in victory as they walked to the backstage area. Booker T came in and helped Stevie Ray up. The camera zoomed in on the frustrated look on Booker T’s face as he helped up his brother. Both men rolled outside of the ring and kicked the ringsteps. As they walked by the cameramen they pushed him to the ground as the camera shifted back to the announcers.

76%, 70%, 83%

Heenan:”This stinks, this is total highway robbery.”

Schiavone:”Well Harlem Heat lost fair and square Bobby.”

Heenan:”Fair and square? Fair and square? Grunge came in, illegally I might add, and DDT’d Stevie Ray without Booker T having an opportunity to do the same to Rocco Rock. You know I bet they’re celebrating with Oscar the Grouch right now in the trash.”

Schiavone:”Oh please…folks stay tuned as the n.Wo. are in action later on as Scott Hall takes on Sting and Kevin Nash takes on Chris Benoit!”

8:54pm

A proposal is made…

The camera shifted to backstage as Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit were sitting in their lockerroom. The crowd popped at the sight of the “Four” Horsemen. A knock was heard as Ric jumped out of his seat.

Ric:”That’s him. He got my message. Alright boys….tonight the Horsemen is complete. Woo, tonight lemme introduce to you….the NEWEST induction to the Horsemen….WOOOOOOOOOO!!” Ric began to take off his coat and dance around.

Benoit:”Ric…we know who it is. We discussed this remember?”

Arn:”Yeah…just calm down Ric.”

Flair stopped dancing and just stared at Anderson.

Flair:”What….calm down?! Of course you all know who it is. Of course I know who it is. But why shouldn’t I be excited?! The n.W.o. think they have us beat. We may have lost the first battle, but lemme tell you, WCW will win the war. And at the front of the lines….it will be the Horsemen. I may have lost the United States title, but I’m thinkin’ big guys. Really big…trust me on this, and it all starts tonight with this newest member. So boys, tonight….we are complete once again.”

The door knocked once again.

Ric:”I hear ya, just wait man. I gave you a grand introduction!” The camera zoomed in on Flair’s face as he opened the door. ”There you are man! I know you know everyone but come on in. For tonight….you….are…..A HORSEMAN!! WOOOO!!!”

The followed Ric as he backed up to let the 4th entrant walk in the door.

Ric:”Boys….say hello to….”

The camera shifted to Eddie Guerrero as the crowd popped.

Eddie:”Ehh Ric…I got it man. Say hello to….EDDIE GUERRERO!!!”

Flair jumped up and dragged Anderson up as they closed the door. The cameraman left the room and zoomed on Rey Mysterio Jr’s face as he punched the wall and walked away and the camera faded to black to enter commercials.

87%

9:00pm

I took off my headset as Lex Luger finally arrived.

”Jesus Lex where the hell were you? I wanted to have a talk to you on behalf of Eric.”

Lex:”When did you stop being a doctor and become Eric’s little bitch?”

”Listen Lex, I understand you’re upset. But you can’t go back there and stiff people just because you’re upset at Nash. You got lucky that last night was actually a good match because you two stiffed the shit out of each other. But you gotta stop it now. OK? Look, if you’re having problems, we can talk just you and me. Me as a doctor and not as Bischoff. But right now you’re dealing with me as Bischoff and I’m telling you to stop it right now. You keep doing that and we’re gonna have to suspend you. Got it?”

Lex:”If your Bischoff’s right hand man, tell him to stop giving head to the n.W.o. because the minute I see Nash alone. He’s mine. Be it in the ring or backstage. He’s mine.”

”Lex…stop. I understand you’re upset but you gotta stop this right now. Don’t make any more threats because I won’t tell Bischoff that. And lemme tell you right now, you lay one finger on Nash outside of that ring and you will be suspended. You can count on it.”

Luger just ignored me as he began to spray himself down with water. I got up and found Regal coming to the gorilla position. I pulled him aside.

”Hey Stephen, how you feelin’?”

Regal:”Not too bad, still a bit sore from last night. But I must say, I did enjoy that surprisingly boisterous ovation that myself and Edward received last night.”

”Yeah it was pretty intense and the match you guys had was fantastic. I convinced Eric to put you guys on.”

Regal:”Did you? I must thank you then. I do appreciate it. But, come doctor, surely you have something to tell me other than that. Now…what is it?”

”Yeah…Lex is still pissy. And I get the feeling he’ll stiff you again just like he did last night to Nash. So…just thought I’d give you heads up now so you don’t get surprised. I’m sure you can handle it.”

Regal:”Oh…don’t worry dear doctor. I know how to handle people like Lex. Just watch, you might even enjoy it.” Regal smiled as he patted my shoulder.

”Yeah but listen, we gotta keep the match going until the seven minute mark. Then, well you know what happens next. So if it falls apart because of Lex being a dick, try and keep it together. I know you can, based on what I’ve seen.”

Regal:”You have my word. Should this brute try and stiff me, I will have some fun with him but keep the match passable.”

”Perfect. Thanks a lot.”

Regal:”Oh believe me, the pleasure is all mine.”

I walked away as Sophie pulled me aside.

Sophie:”Suckin’ up to Regal eh?”

”Hey, keep this quiet OK. If something happens, I want as many people on my side as I can get. But this can’t get out, so in the presence of Eric and the other n.W.o. guys, I will be kissin’ their ass.”

Sophie:”Well, just make sure it’s not literally.” She walked away as she winked at me.

I walked back to the gorilla position as I put my headphones back on. Regal was walking to the ring already and I guess Nitro was already back from the commercial break as Tony and Bobby were talking already.

Lex Luger vs. Lord Stephen Regal

9:06pm

Heenan:”Stephen Regal is a dangerously underrated wrestler. Do not take this man lightly Schiavone as he can hurt you in many different ways.”

Schiavone:”Regal had a fantastic match with Eddie Guerrero and he almost won that match. But tonight, he’s facing another man who is looking for a win and that’s Lex Luger. Luger wanted this match because he wanted retribution against the n.W.o. And if he can’t have it, he will get it against the one man who asked to be in the n.W.o. and here…he comes!”

Luger came out flexing his muscles and raising his arm trying to get people behind him. Some fans held out their hands as Luger walked by and slapped hands with him. Ironically, for a man who’s supposed to be upset both on camera and backstage for losing to Nash, he looks really happy. The bell rang and the match was on. Luger and Regal had a staredown as Luger shoved Regal. Regal licked his lips and slapped Luger right across his face. Luger looked away and I could see the rage in his eyes. He clinched his fist and hit Regal right across the jaw. Son of a bitch, he did it again. Backstage I could hear Bischoff yelling. Luger then rammed Regal to the turnbuckle as he began to kick Regal in the stomach a few times and he wasn’t holding back. Luger picked up Regal and clotheslined him over the top rope up. The clothesline hit Regal right on the Adam’s apple so I knew that Luger was serious.

Bischoff:”Doctor?! Did you tell him about how if he keeps stiffing people he’s suspended?!”

”Yeah.”

Bischoff:”OK, at the seven minute mark, we’re going live. I’m telling the boys in the back to make sure to cut to a live feed.”

Luger just threw Regal into the barricade area outside of the ring as the referee was at the 7 second mark. Regal crawled in as his nose was busted open. Regal begged Luger to back off. Luger looked at the crowd and pointed at Regal hoping for some sort of reaction but he didn’t really get any. Luger tried to get the crowd into the match. At 2:00 Regal stood up and hooked Luger into a chicken wing. Regal kicked the back of Luger’s knees to bring Luger down. Regal drove his left knee to keep the pressure on Luger’s arm as Regal slapped the back of Luger’s head. The referee checked to see if Luger submitted. Regal screamed as Regal let off of Luger and stood up. Regal taunted the crowd by waving to them as the crowd booed. Regal wiped the blood off of his nose as Luger stood up grabbing his arm and clutching his pectorial region. Luger tried to get the crowd behind him but the crowd didn’t really cheer for him. Regal turned around and they locked up in a collar-and-elbow lockup. Luger hit a forearm to Regal’s head a few times which sent Regal back. At 3:45 Luger charged at Regal but Regal hit a drop toe hold on Luger. Regal dropped his knee on Luger’s knee before he worked on the knee of Luger. Luger screamed in pain as Regal had a half Boston crab on Luger’s leg. Regal let off of the crab and slapped on an arm bar to work on Luger’s already injured arm region. Luger grabbed the rope but Regal held on and stretched the arm as Luger screamed. Regal turned Luger over and went for a cover but only got a two count.

Regal had his forearm on Luger’s throat even after Luger kicked out so the referee began a 5 count to release the choke. Regal let off of Luger and stood up but stomped on Luger’s face. Regal wiped the blood away from his nose yet again while the referee checked on Luger. At the 4:30 mark Luger got back to his feet and hit Regal while his back was turned. Luger hit a clothesline which sent Regal down but Luger favoured his arm after the clothesline. He was noticeably staggering after the stiff clothesline. Regal grabbed Luger but Luger hit Regal in the face a few times to counter that. Luger then hit an elbow to the back of Regal’s head which sent Regal down. Luger got some crowd support but still the crowd seemed anti-Regal rather than pro-Luger. Luger hit a powerslam at 5:15 and went for the cover but only got a two count. Luger stood waiting for Regal to stand up. Luger attempted to hit the Torture Rack at 5:45 but Regal slipped out and hit an arm drag on Luger. Regal immediately slapped on an armbar but released it after a few seconds. Regal slapped Luger in the face while Luger was still grounded as he stood up. Regal lifted Luger up and slapped on an abdominal stretch. Once again, the pain in Luger’s face was clear but Luger was released by Regal yet again. Regal screamed at Luger to get up as he wiped away the blood from his face. At 6:20 Luger reversed an Irish whip and hit a big backbody. Luger followed it up with another powerslam as he called for the Torture Rack. Luger lifted up Regal for the Torture Rack yet again when the n.W.o. appeared on the giant screen on the rampway.

Bischoff:”Hey….Luger!”

Regal slipped out of the Torture Rack as Luger was distracted at Nash playing with the WCW Television Title. The referee was staring at the monitor as Regal came from behind and hit a rollup on Luger. The referee counted…1…….2………3.

Regal celebrated by wiping his nose and spitting some bloody spit at Luger’s body as he smugly waved to the audience. Regal began to make his way back as the camera shifted to the live feed of the n.W.o.

Bischoff:”I hope you enjoyed that match Luger, because right now, I as Comissioner of WCW, hereby order my second act as the new member of the New World Order. And that act is Luger, that you are suspended from active competition! Pack your bags bub, it’s time for you to get outta here. If you’re not outta here in 10 minutes, security is going to drag your sorry butt outta here. Or better yet…these guys can drag you out themselves.” Bischoff pointed to all the members of the n.W.o. as they smiled. The crowd booed as Luger was legitimately livid. He stormed out of the ring and kicked the ringsteps right off their holdings as he walked backstage.

81%, 77%, 85%

Bischoff makes yet another announcement…

Bischoff:”And that’s not all, for you see, tonight, will be the last time you ever see this title on anyone’s waist. For after tonight, the WCW Television Title…no longer exists. Kiss it goodbye because this is just another phase, for the New World Order taking over this garbage hole of a company! Enjoy the rest of the show folks!”

Nash held the title in his hands and looked at the camera. ”Hey, flexy boy. I enjoyed beating you last night for this title, but the fact remains…I don’t want it. This is a loser title fit only for losers. Heh, I guess that’s why it was fit for you eh? The fact remains is that this title is meant for WCW losers like yourself, but seeing as how it’s in my hands, I don’t want it. So, I’m just gonna throw it out and forget about it. In the same way how the people have already forgotten about you Lex. And believe me Lex, throwing this title away along with the history of this title, will be just…too…..sweeeeeeet!” The feed faded to a black as Nash threw his title in a nearby dumpster.

83%

9:18pm

I was treating Regal’s nose when Luger busted through the curtain.

Luger:”Where the FUCK is Bischoff?!” Luger looked around in a panic and angry frenzy before he locked his eyes on me. ”You, doctor. I wanna have a word with you right now.”

”I don’t think that’d be wise Lex. Plus I’m also treating the damage you did to Regal.”

Luger:”You should also be treating me for what that fucking blokey did to me.”

Regal:”The term is bloke you ignorant twit. Besides, I was merely defending myself after you did this to me.”

”Alright, listen, calm down. Lex, I warned you not to stiff Regal in the ring. Yet you did. I warned you that you would be suspended, but you still stiffed Regal. So, you’re getting suspended.”

Luger:”Where on the fucking booking sheet does it say I get suspended?! Tell me where?! Eric had no right to fucking suspend me on the goddamn air.”

”Just like you had no right to stiff Regal here?”

Luger:”Are you gonna tell me where the fuck Bischoff is or not?”

”No I won’t. Not when you’re like this. Not when you threatened to take Nash out. And that’s if I knew where he was. I have no clue. So why don’t you just take a shower and I’ll take a look at your arm.”

Luger:”Fuck this shit. I’m gettin’ the fuck outta here.”

”Lex, we’ll talk about this in a few days ok? Just let yourself cool down and the three of us will talk.”

Luger:”Why you? Why do you have to be there when this is between Eric and myself.”

”Somebody has to be there to make sure you’re calm.”

Luger:”Or you’re out to get me and get me fired. That’s why you’re with Eric all the time. That’s why you’re always telling the rest of the WCW boys messages from Eric. You’re with Eric and you’re gonna fuckin’ ruin this company.”

Just then Flair walked in…

Flair:”Lex, that’s enough. Stop right now. He’s not out to ruin this company. Go home and cool down.”

Lex looked at Flair who happened to have Benoit, Anderson and Guerrero with him. He looked to the other side and he saw Sting getting ready as he nodded his head. Luger licked his lips and walked away.

”Thanks Ric.”

Flair:”Hey…no problem. How’s Regal over here?”

Regal:”Oh, I’ll survive. He didn’t do that much damage to me. And while it looks like I didn’t hurt him, just give him one day. Teach that bastard to take me down…”

I finished swabbing the interior of Regal’s nose which stopped the bleeding but it still looked as if his nose was broken.

”OK, there’s not much more I can do. We gotta get this nose set in place. I cleaned out all the dried up blood and stopped the bleeding but we should go to the hospital afterwards to get this taken care of. You want me to come with you or another doctor?”

Regal:”No, no. Just send another doctor. I hear you have a date with that Sophie girl.”

”Jesus, word travels fast doesn’t it.”

Regal laughed as he got up and walked away. I saw Sting warming up as he approached me.

Sting:”Hey listen, doc. I’m sorry about Lex. You’re right, you did give him fair warning. I honestly don’t know what’s going on with him. Lately he’s been so paranoid.”

”Don’t worry about it. I’m used to it, you should have seen some of the stuff I saw when I worked in the WWF during the late ‘80’s. Now that was some funny stuff.”

Sting:”What was it like in the WWF? I mean, I know how it was from a wrestler’s perspective, but what about yours?”

”Why? Interested?”

Sting:”Me? Oh no. I’m just curious that’s all.”

”Oh, well it’s not too bad. I mean it’s been awhile so I imagine things are different but I’ll tell you that Vince runs a tight ship. Everything is very organized and not helter-skelter like here. But who knows now…”

Sting:”Hmm…thanks. I appreciate that.”

Sting continued to get ready as the show came back on the air.

9:23

Schiavone:”Folks, welcome back. And, what a night it has been so far. Just when we thought that, we…WCW are starting to rally back against the n.W.o. Comissioner Bischoff has just excercised his power and struck a blow against us. Lex Luger has just been fired, and on top of that, the WCW Television Title has been eliminated.”

Heenan:”And that’s not the half of it Schiavone, what’s even worse is that Bischoff can do this at any time. This has gotta stop. Somebody has gotta stop this right now or we’re gonna be in really big trouble.”

Schiavone:”Well folks, up next Sting takes on Scott Hall in a non-title match. Hopefully Bischoff doesn’t suspend Sting…ugh.”

Sting vs. Scott Hall

9:25

Sting made his way to the ring but the lights went out before Sting could even enter the ring. The crowd cheered with the lights going out before hearing the n.W.o. guitar’s playing. The feed on the television went black and there was no audio. The feed came back in the grainy black and white as Scott Hall walked to the ring. He did his airplane walk as the crowd booed Hall. Hall threw his toothpick at a fan who was berading him as he kept walking to the ring. Sting was warming up with the ropes on the opposite side of the ring as Hall acknowledged the fans who booed him in return. The bell rang three times to signal the beginning of the match.

Schiavone:”Bobby, how do you see this match playing out?”

Heenan:”The only thing I have to say Schiavone is that Sting is far fresher than Hall is. Hall was taken to the limit last night by Flair and as of now, who knows if he is 100%. Sting on the other hand is well rested and easily could win this match. Well, hopefully…”

Sting let out a loud scream to the audience. The audience responded in kind. Not to be outdone, Hall shrugged his shoulders to the crowd but they responded with boos. Hall then waved his hand at the audience in a gesture to that he doesn’t care. The match started off with a kick from Sting to Hall’s stomach. Sting was working on Hall’s back before dropping Hall with a backsuplex. Sting went for the early pinfall at 1:00 but Hall kicked out at 1. Sting applied a headlock but Hall fought out of it and whipped Sting to the ropes. Hall hit a shoulderblock on Sting which sent Sting down to the mat. Hall went behind Sting and drove his knee to the back of Sting and pulled on his arms. The referee went to check up to see if Sting submits. Sting was kicking his feet on the mat to try and garner some crowd support. The crowd clapped along with Sting’s beats on the mat as he started to scream and shake to try and fight off the submission hold. At 2:30 Sting breaks the hold but Hall knees him in the back to send Sting back on the ground. Hall got up and walked to the turnbuckle for a quick breather as Sting tried to get back on his feet. Hall decked Sting with a clothesline to send Sting back to the mat. Hall dropped an elbow on Sting and went for another cover but only got a 2 count. Hall whipped Sting to the turnbuckle and Hall chopped him several times before Sting collapsed to the ground. Hall taunted the fans some more as he told them “Screw You” with his arms. At 3:30 Sting reverses the suplex attempt by Hall and hits a suplex of his own. Hall gets to his feet first and sends his knee into Sting’s head to bring him back down. Hall attempts the Outsider’s Edge but Sting reverses it into a backbody drop which the crowd appreciates.

Sting gets to the ropes and tries to regain some strength as Hall struggles to get to his feet. The crowd is hot as Sting motions for Hall to come get some more. Sting screams to the crowd and levels Hall with a clothesline. Hall rises to his feet and gets another clothesline. Sting drops the elbow then follows it up by whipping Hall to the ropes. Sting hits an inverted atomic drop then follows it up with a drop kick. Sting is fired up and the crowd is showing their approval of Sting coming back. Hall staggers back to his feet as Sting clotheslines him over the top rope. Hall collapses all the way back to the barricade. Sting whips Hall into the steel steps at 5:15. Sting follows that up by rolling Hall back into the ring. Sting climbed up the turnbuckle and delivered a splash at 6:00. Sting went for the cover but only got a 2 count. Sting was surprised that he only got a two count and the crowd wanted a three count as well but Hall managed to fight out of it. Hall was staggering to his feet as Sting waited for the right moment to attack. Sting dropkicked Hall into the turnbuckle as he went to the opposing turnbuckle and got more fan support. He looked around before running for the Stinger Splash. Sting ran for the splash but Hall caught Sting. Hall turned Sting around and delivered a fall-away slam to Sting. The crowd booed as Hall draped his arm over Sting for the cover. Hall only got the two count as the crowd cheered as Sting was still alive. At 8:00 Hall slapped on the abdominal stretch on Sting while the referee asked if he wanted to submit. Hall got caught cheating by grabbing the rope for leverage and was forced to break the hold. Hall picked up Sting for the Outsider’s Edge but Sting dropped to his knees and pulled Hall down. Sting tried to lock on the Scorpion Death Lock but Hall kicked Sting away. At 9:30 both men got to their feet as Hall attempted a suplex but Sting reversed it for the Scorpion Death Drop. Sting went for the cover but Hall still kicked out. Sting hit his hands on the ring in frustration and the crowd wanted the Sting victory. Sting got to his feet and attempted the Scorpion Death Lock again but Nash walked out to the ring. The crowd booed as Nash walked to the ring and stood outside of it. Sting got to his feet while the referee immediately jumped outside the ring to eject Nash. The crowd cheered as the referee stood up to Nash. Nash threw the referee to the stairs effectively knocking him out. Nash entered the ring and both men double teamed Sting as the crowd booed. At 12:00 The crowd cheered as Benoit entered to take down Nash. Flair came in to even up the score in taking out Hall. Anderson and Guerrero also joined in to aid Benoit and Flair. Nash immediately backed away before Benoit could lay a finger on Nash while Anderson hit a huge spinebuster on Hall. Flair helped Sting to his feet as the referee was slowly getting to his feet. Sting hit the Scorpion Death Drop on Hall as he covered Hall. 1….2…….3.

Sting celebrated his victory as he made his way to the back. Hall was starting to stir as Flair grabbed the microphone…

85%, 86%, 86%

Flair talkin’ smack to Hall

Flair grabbed the microphone and held it to his lips. He was standing over the fallen Hall in the middle of the ring.

Flair:”Hall, you listen good, you may have beaten me last night, but don’t even think for a second, that you have become the man. You see this Hall?!” Flair pounded his chest several times. ”This is my heart, and it’s still beating. And as long as it’s still beating, I will forever be breathing down your neck, down Nash’s neck and by God down Hogan’s neck. I will be wherever you are Hall, I will be in the back, in the hotel, on the plane, and I’ll be waiting. I’ll be waiting for the right time to strike, and when I do Hall, I will be getting back that title. But not only that, I will have driven all of you out of this company. You think you can just come in here and destroy our company? Well I’m here to say you’ve got another thing coming. This is WCW and the Horsemen are leadin’ the charge brotha against you and your group of thugs. I’m Ric Flair, and I’m coming to get what’s mine.”

Flair threw the microphone down and left the ring. He held up the United States Title to a huge pop as he pointed to himself. The camera faded to black as we were in the last commercial.

9:41pm

Hall didn’t seek any treatment as he walked right by me. Sting also didn’t seek any treatment as he said he was fine. Flair and Anderson came walking back and Flair patted my shoulder. They met with Benoit as they conversed. Flair pointed at me a few times and looked at me while Benoit nodded his head. Hall met up with Nash who was with Hogan and Bischoff. Jericho was conspicuously absent. I got out of my seat to see where he was. I went to Benoit and asked him where Jericho was. He told me he was talking to Eddie in the lockerroom.

I walked into the locker room and the entire room filled with superstars filled with a sort of hush.

”It’s OK guys. I just wanted to talk to Chris.”

Eddie and Chris stopped talking as they looked up to me.

”Chris, are you busy right now?”

Jericho:”Uhh…no not at the moment.

”Do you mind if we talk for a bit?”

Just then Sophie walked in.

Sophie:”Doc, we need you back at the gorilla position for the final match.”

Sophie then promptly walked away as Eddie and Chris were smirking at me.

”Yeah yeah…I’ll talk to you later then k?”

I walked back to the gorilla position as Benoit was getting ready. He was doing a few squats to warm himself up.

”So, what were you and Ric talking about that involved him pointing at me?”

Nitro had just come back from commercial as Benoit’s music was playing. Benoit smiled as he walked out.

Benoit:”Sorry doc, that’ll have to wait till later.”

Kevin Nash vs. Chris Benoit

9:45pm

The camera cut to the entrance ramp as Benoit made his way down to the ring. Bobby and Tony were talking about how momentous tonight was and how it will echo on in WCW history.

Schiavone:”Chris Benoit, the Canadian Crippler, pound-for-pound arguably the greatest wrestler we have in WCW. And yes, we have him as he is a member of the Horsemen who Ric Flair announced will take on the n.W.o. threat. What’re your thoughts on the newest member of the 4 Horsemen Bobby?”

Heenan:”Ric Flair is a brilliant man, I won’t take that away from him. Eddie Guerrero has been on a winning streak as of late and had some great matches. But his true test will come against Chris Jericho next week on Nitro.”

Schiavone:”I can’t wait. Also, we have word that for next week, Harlem Heat demanded a match against Rey Mysterio Jr. and Disco Inferno.”

Heenan:”That’s a brilliant move Tony. What better way to end their losing streak then by facing a dancing idiot and a man who wears a sleeping mask on top of his mask.”

Schiavone:”I think that’s just Harlem Heat being a bunch of bullies. They’re taller and stronger than both of these men. What is beating them going to prove?”

Heenan:”Don’t underestimate these cruisers Tony? They’re fast and I do give Mysterio some credit.”

Schiavone:”And Disco?”

Heenan:”I’m not gonna lie to you Schiavone…..WCW Nitro is brought to you by Sports Illustrated, anything sports related will be here. And by Slim Jim, bite into one. And by Nintendo and its new Nintendo 64.”

Schiavone:”Also announced for next week, Hulk Hogan will be making an appearance and The Giant will be in action against Scott Hall.”

Edited by Godfatha

I'm guessing you cut the show in half or something, but from what i have seen it looks good. I like the new format, in fact, you could make the matches shorter and it would still be good. Theres no reason for you to burn yourself out doing massive nitros, you can save those long matches for the PPV's or something.

Anyways, I like Eddy joining the Horsemen and Jericho joining the NWO, both are good choices to give the two stables some youth and charisma. I like the storylines and hopefully you keep up the awesome work. I know I'll be reading.

The lights went out as the n.W.o.’s theme music played. The crowd cheered with the lights going out but booed as Kevin Nash walked out. He raised an arm and had a smug look on his face. He slowly walked to the ring while Benoit looked on with an intense expression on his face. Nash climbed over the top rope as the feed returned to normal. The bell rang three times as Benoit charged Nash and pushed him to the turnbuckle. Nash started to club Benoit’s back a few times. Nash shoved Benoit away but Benoit rolled out of the shove and got right back in Nash’s face. Nash was still cornered in the turnbuckle but he managed to raise his boot as Benoit ran right into Nash’s boot. At 1:00 Nash whipped Benoit to the ropes and hit another big boot to the face. Nash hit a sidewalk slam and went for a quick cover but Benoit kicked out. Nash whipped Benoit to the ropes and hit a big back body drop before dropping the elbow. Nash whipped Benoit into the turnbuckle. Benoit hit it with full steam sternum first as he bounced off the turnbuckle clutching his chest. Nash dropped his leg on Benoit’s chest. Nash then stepped on Benoit’s chest as Benoit screamed in pain. Nash picked up Benoit and hit a scoop slam on Benoit before dropping the elbow across the chest of Benoit. Nash picked up Benoit and perched him on the turnbuckle. Nash did several knees to Benoit’s chest and stomach before Benoit collapsed to the ring clutching his chest. Nash taunted the crowd as he raised his arms in victory. A small Benoit chant but was overshadowed by the massive boos from the audience.

Nash whipped Benoit to the ropes. Benoit ducked the clothesline but got hit with another boot to the face. Nash went for the cover but Benoit kicked out. At 3:55 Nash whipped Benoit to the turnbuckle as Nash delivered several elbows to Benoit’s face. Just as Benoit was about to collapse Nash held him up with his boot to Benoit’s neck. The referee began to count as Benoit was gasping and struggling for air. At the count of five, Nash released Benoit. Nash hit the snakeeyes on Benoit at 4:20. Nash put his boot on Benoit’s chest as the referee counted. Benoit broke the count by putting his foot on the ropes. The crowd cheered as Benoit was still alive. Nash picked up Benoit and clubbed on his back. He set Benoit up for the Jackknife Powerbomb but Benoit reversed it by grabbing Nash’s legs and pulling Nash to the mat. Benoit dropped a quick legdrop across Nash’s neck as he backed off and worked on his own chest to recover the damage. Nash was slow to his feet but Benoit delivered a running knee to send Nash back down to the ground. Nash was either doing a great job selling the match from last night, or he was in legitimate pain due to Luger being extra stiff. Benoit also did a fantastic job of selling and adding his intensity. At 5:15 Benoit hit a swinging neck breaker before working Nash’s arm. He dropped a few knees on Nash’s shoulder before going back to working his arm. Benoit picked up Nash and pulled the straps down of Nash’s tights. Benoit hit him with several chops as Nash sort of bent over. The announcers were selling the beatdown that Nash had received at the hands of Luger last night. Benoit hit several quick kicks to Nash’s stomach before elbowing Nash’s shoulder. Nash still didn’t go down but Benoit hit a running bulldog which sent Nash crasing to the mat. Benoit got to his feet as the crowd cheered. At 6:20 Benoit hit the diving headbutt right on Nash’s shoulder. Benoit tried to cover Nash but Nash lifted his good shoulder in the air to keep the match going. Benoit lifted Nash to his knees and wrung Nash’s arm. Benoit lifted Nash’s arm high in the air as he continued to wring it. Benoit kicked the pectoral region but Nash got out of the hold by punching Benoit in the chest with his good arm. Benoit backed off clutching his chest. Nash got to his feet and lurched over to Benoit. At 7:45 Nash tried to pick up Benoit for a slam but Benoit reversed it into the Crossface Crippler.

The crowd was cheering as Nash was on the mat square in the ring. The cheers turned to boos as Scott Hall came running in to save his buddy. Hall climbed right in the ring and shoved the referee aside. Benoit released the hold as Benoit and Hall were brawling. Nash got to his knees and hit a low blow on Benoit. The crowd cheered as Flair, Anderson and Guerrero came to the aid of Benoit. Nash booted Guerrero right to the mat. Hall turned around and walked into a huge spinebuster by Anderson. Chris Jericho came running in and hit a bulldog on Anderson to take him down. The bell was ringing to signify that this match was a no contest. Jericho started to beat on Guerrero as Sting came running in to aid WCW. Sting shoved Jericho from behind while Flair hit a chopblock on Nash. The cheers turned to massive boos as Hogan came walking down to the ring. Hogan had a chair in his hand and hit Sting from behind. All men were lying in the ring except for Hogan and Flair who stared at each other. Both men were breathing in and out but Flair was shouting at Hogan but nothing could be heard due to the huge cheers that were erupting from the staredown of Hogan and Flair. The cheers got even louder as The Giant broke through the curtains. Flair pointed at The Giant as Hogan turned around. Hogan had a shocked look on his face as he got out of the ring. The Giant had the unattended WCW Title belt which had been spraypainted by the n.W.o. The Giant held it high in the air as Hogan had a shocked expression on his face.

Schiavone:”Fall Brawl! The Giant, Hogan, Bischoff, all in a cage! Folks we gotta go, tune in next week as Chris Jericho takes on Eddie Guerrero, The Giant takes on Scott Hall and Hogan will make an appearance! For Bobby the Brain, this is Tony Schiavone saying goodnight everyone!”

83%, 79%, 88%

10:00pm

The show faded to black as I turned off my monitor and took off my headphones. I asked another doctor to tend to the wrestlers as they walked back.

Doctor #1:”Gonna go on a date with Sophie eh?”

Jesus, everyone knows…”

I walked off in search of Sophie as another night of Nitro has just finished. I saw Sophie as she told me I had a phone call.

Sophie:”Doc….it’s your wife. She wants to talk to you. I’ll wait for you, then we’ll go.”

I nodded my head as I made my way to the office to get the phone.

Overall show rating: 85%. TV Rating: 5.89

Edited by Godfatha

WCW's follow-up to Road Wild was quite good, but still left me lacking.

By Wade Keller.

Well folks, another Nitro has come and gone. I will first make some general comments, then I'll go through this segment by segment. The wrestling was light this week but that's understandable considering all the wrestler's involved made a solid effort last night. The other wrestlers who didn't appear (Sting?!) were just involved in matches that were put together for no rhyme or reason. I can understand that they can only showcase so many wrestlers with one wrestling show, but to leave out Sting and then slap him against Scott Hall with no reason behind it is rather disappointing. However, with that said, the build up to Fall Brawl has already begun and it already shows that the booking team for WCW has already thought about what they want. On top of that, they're not just developing the main event (which already has some seeds planted already) but also the undercard. It's good to see some thought put into the guys who aren't involved with the n.W.o. However, caution must be taken because the fact that the n.W.o. are heels, it'll be really hard to make the undercard boys who are heel appear to be heel yet not part of the n.W.o while at the same time, saying how the n.W.o. are a threat to all of WCW, not just the top talent. While it can be argued that if you take out the main eventer's, WCW will be in shambles, the booking team has to tread carefully otherwise this hot angle will just leave them with egg on their face.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psicosis

This was a solid bout but thrown together to get Rey some action time. I love the cruiserweight division but it could be a whole lot bigger if the booking team got their act together and make it more of a highlight than just the opening match. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent way to begin Nitro and I'm glad that they didn't fall into the trap of overkilling the n.W.o. by having them in the beginning, middle and the end of Nitro but more should be done for the cruisers. Perhaps next week we'll see more of it. But upon hearing next week's match, it makes me realize how thin the cruiserweight division is. Maybe the new talent that is in the Power Plant will light up the division. But I digress, the match itself was a fantastic bout. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mysterio is one of the best cruiserweights on this planet. He can work a high flying style and work a mat game like the best of them. Psicosis is also an underrated wrestler as well but I'm disappointed that he's been treated as a "jobber" for the bigger cruisers like Malenko and Mysterio. Here Mysterio showed made Psicosis look good but he didn't hurt himself since 1) he's basically bulletproof as a cruiserweight and B) he came off an intense match last night against Malenko. I could have see it go longer but for a match that was around 12 minutes, it was great. ****

Hogan and Bischoff issuing a challenge to the Giant.

I said my piece about Bischoff joining the n.W.o. in my last commentary but it bears repeating. It's a brilliant move putting Bischoff in the n.W.o. and saying he was in cahoots with them all along doesn't make him look dumb. However, it can make WCW look dumb if not booked properly. Like I said before, they have to book properly or everything will collapse. Bischoff and Hogan did a great job of putting themselves over but when it came time for announcing the main event at Road Wild, it was a bit disappointing. Hogan and The Giant in a cage is bad enough, but with Bischoff who can't work? Bleh. The only draw that this match will have will be Bischoff getting his comeuppance and this is way too early. But, we still have a few Nitro's left, so who knows what's going to happen between now and then. As of now, it's not starting off on the right foot. Why would Bischoff put himself in the cage? Why not Nash or Hall? These questions have to be answered on the next Nitro.

The newest member of the n.W.o.

Well I was somewhat right in that the debut wrestler was one with an extreme wrestler but I received many emails from fans who were angered as they thought it would have been a mainstay in ECW. All I can say is that I was wrong on that part. However, Chris Jericho was a good addition to the company as a whole. Putting him in the n.W.o. is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, it adds some youth to a group who's combined age is nearly 200. But on the other hand, what makes the n.W.o. so effective is that it's a small group who does so much damage on a physical and mental level. The fact that the stage was completely dominated with an n.W.o. design is a perfect example of the domination on a mental level. Like the old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth, but as of now the n.W.o. shouldn't add anymore members or they'll really run the risk of destroying this hot angle. Jericho himself had an impressive debut and you can tell the company is really behind him given the hype of his debut in the previous weeks. He did a solid promo telling everyone why he is here. I received some emails telling me that they can't take him seriously because he's so small compared to the rest of the n.W.o. members (barring Bischoff of course). However, this plays into his role perfectly. It's obvious he's the cocky heel but he showed some insecurity and his height could be the root of his insecurity.

Eddie Guerrero confronting the n.W.o.

As soon as I saw Guerrero out there on his own I knew he would be the final member of the Horsemen. Why else would the booking team have him confront the n.W.o. on his own? The promo he hit was great as he added some humour but also showed his serious side. When he called Jericho the "Lionheart" I was hoping for a "Black Tiger vs. Lionheart" reference but it didn't happen. Maybe next week. All I can say is I'm looking forward to the match next week.

Harlem Heat vs. Public Enemy.

The first thing I have to say, I'm not a fan of having commercials in the middle of the match. I was actually getting into it when the commercial hit. I understand this is free TV and this is the price we have to pay, but it can be quite annoying. I like the fact that they're teasing a Harlem Heat breakup. It shows how valuable the tag titles really are to them. But where are the tag champions? Why were they not even involved on the show. And on top of that, there was no mention of them on the show either. So while adding some credibility to the tag titles, they really took a step back because by not even acknowledging the Steiner's, it makes the titles look inferior. The match itself was not bad at all as Harlem Heat made Public Enemy look really good but WCW needs some more tag teams in here. The Road Warriors are MIA after their little backstage incident with Harlem Heat that we broke here on PWTorch, and the Nasty Boys have lost all credibility 4 years ago. Perhaps some of the new talent in the Power Plant could be combined as a tag team. ***

Eddie Guerrero is the Fourth Horsemen.

Firstly, let me just say that this should have been done in the ring, not as a backstage vignette. This is a huge announcement but because the fact this was done as a vignette, it lowers the "big announcement feel." However, I can understand why they did this as a vignette as they had to follow up on Mysterio being overlooked. I liked the fact that they remembered this from a few weeks ago. Flair's reaction was priceless as always and Guerrero adds some fresh blood wtih the Horsemen. I could see some huge tag matches with Benoit and Guerrero as a team.

Lex Luger vs. Lord Regal

Let me just say this, I enjoyed Regal having his way with Luger. It was quite obvious Luger was stiffing Regal (as the busted nose is a huge clue) but it was fun to see Regal put the heat back on Luger then stepping off. The heat on Regal was quite high but for Luger, there was none. I think that should tell you who should get the push. The Lex Luger experiment is over and it was quite obvious as Regal had his way with Luger. Not a fan of the rollup but as I said earlier, this was an angle heavy show, not a wrestling heavy show. I gave this match ***1/2 stars just because Luger was made to look like the proverbial "witch" with a b.

Bischoff suspending the Television Title and suspending Luger.

Why? This is the one segment I had the most problems with. Why suspend the television title? Because Nash doesn't want to hold it? What does it say about that title? Not only that, but all of the lower talent has nothing to fight for. Hall and Flair were battling for the United States title so can you really tell me that anyone would believe that any lower card talent would be on the same level as Flair? And on top of that, Bischoff suspending Luger. What's to stop Bischoff from suspending all of the top talent? Then he could easily take over WCW and that would be that. Granted it wouldn't be very interesting but if you were in a position of power, would you not use that method instead of constantly wrestling? This is certainly something that must be explained next week.

Sting vs. Scott Hall

Here was a match that was thrown together just to give Sting something to do. That sort of thing bothers me considering Sting's status. It was a solid match for what it was but it just really bothered me. The psychology in this match was quite good as they put over how tired Hall must have been but that just reminds you that Sting was left off of a WCW pay-per-view. That's the only thing that was on my mind the entire time. The lame finish ruined the match but, it's an angle heavy show I suppose. Other than that, I enjoyed the match and it was a solid ***1/2 effort.

Flair making his challenge to the n.W.o.

Flair's interview was short and sweet and it was filled with intensity. I liked when he said that he's "Ric Flair." On a heel, it makes him look cocky, but as a face, it puts over how important he is not only to himself but to WCW. It cements him as a legend who has proven himself over and over again. It was nice to see Flair rip Hall without relying on catch phrases. This is why Flair is one of the best in the business when it comes to working the stick because of the fact he can be silly and intense at any given moment.

Kevin Nash vs. Chris Benoit.

Once again the announcers put over how hurt Nash must have been. This time I can actually believe it considering how stiff Luger and Nash were to each other last night. So while Nash may not have meant to actually sell for Benoit, he pretty much had to considering the pain. Benoit did some fantastic selling and he certainly deserves all the kudos on the world for how he sells. The match was going great until the shmoz ending. I knew it would happen but it took away from the match. Once again, I told myself, "angle heavy show." ***1/4

The ending was great as you saw all the Horsemen come out and Anderson delivered the huge Spinebuster. I was wondering about the "Enforcer" and he showed me why he can be a monster when he needs to be. For a show that showed WCW on the losing end, this was a strong way to end it to make WCW look good. I liked the little staredown between Flair and Hogan as they were definitely building to something right from Hogan's promo. Flair continued it in his little speech and there are some seeds being planted. If they take their time, this match could be huge. Having the Giant come out at the end really cemented their match for Road Wild.

*RANDOM NEWS AND NOTES*

Lex Luger's suspension appears to be legit as he left the backstage area in a storm. My sources tell me that he threatened to meet Bischoff and Nash outside the arena after Nitro but nothing developed.

Regal will be out for a few weeks because of the damage that Luger did to his nose.

Booker T and Stevie Ray were seen backstage as being in a heated argument right before their match with the mysterious doctor. More on this as it develops.

My sources tell me that Randy Savage has been released from his contract as of last night. From what I heard, Savage was seen as being a bit of a prima donna in his last few weeks on Nitro and that bothered Hogan. One wrestler described it as "very strange."

My sources also tell me that Sting is interested in joining the WWF. Perhaps this is why his appearances on WCW programming was limited. More on this as it develops.

The talks between ECW and WCW have come to a standstill. From what my sources tell me, Bischoff wanted to have the n.W.o. invade ECW but Heyman refused. From what one person who overheard the meeting tells me, Bischoff originally proposed ECW invading WCW as a 3rd invasion. Then eventually have them join the n.W.o. Heyman was interested in having ECW invade WCW but not at them joining the n.W.o. More on this as it develops.

Finally, many wrestlers are questioning just what exactly is the role of the mysterious doctor. One wrestler saw the doctor putting up the booking sheet a few minutes before Nitro started. I can't even begin to tell how many problems that could cause.

© Copyright 1996 by TDH Communications Inc.

Guest Ringmaster

Great Nitro, I like the way you're telling a story within a story. The way that the Doctor handles the bad booking is a gold.

Congratulations to me on winning the PPV contest. You know what I want. Do it. Now.

Great Nitro, I like the way you're telling a story within a story. The way that the Doctor handles the bad booking is a gold.

Congratulations to me on winning the PPV contest. You know what I want. Do it. Now.

PLEASE tell me it doesn't involve the Doc, Sophie, and a pool table.

Anyway, Nitro was great. Nothing was lost in the new format, and once again, the night felt like a journey. You keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Monday, August 19, 1996

10:05pm

Nitro had literally just finished. The wrester's were still brawling in the ring but the announcers had stopped talking. I pulled off my headset to walk to the back of the backstage area to pick up the phone. My wife was on the line, but she's been calling me a lot lately. Who knows whats going on?

"Hey Bridget. What's going on? Is everything OK?"

Bridget:"Everything's.....fine. When are you coming home?"

"I'm not sure, I'll be in tomorrow but I have a meeting with Ted and Eric tomorrow morning."

Bridget:"Oh..."

"What's wrong?"

Bridget:It's just that, when you took this job, we both thought you'd be away 5 days a month. Now you're so busy that you barely have time for me. And then there's Sophie..."

"What about Sophie?!"

Bridget:It's just, I know what happened in the WWF. All the partying and the sleeping around and cheating. I don't want that happening here. Sophie's an attractive girl too."

Oh Jesus.

Bridget:"Promise me nothing will happen. Please..."

"OK. Fine."

Sophie appeared at my door waving her hand and smiling.

"Listen I gotta go. Love you."

All I heard was a dialtone, she didn't even say goodbye. But I got up out of my chair to meet Sophie. She put her arm around me as we walked out of the building. As we walked to leave the arena some of the wrestler's brawling in the ring walked back to the backstage area. Flair was walking back when he saw the both of us. He winked at us and did his patented "WOOO" gesture. Sophie laughed at him as we both walked back.

10:45pm

Sophie and I were sitting at a local restaurant. We had just finished about half a bottle of wine and waiting on our main courses.

Sophie:"So tell me more about the WWF."

That's funny, you're the second person tonight to ask me about that."

Sophie:"Really? Who else asked you about it?"

"Sting."

Sophie:"Uh oh..."

"What uh oh?"

Sophie:"Sting's been interested in the WWF lately. Maybe he's had an offer. I don't know. I asked Eric about it, but all he's concerned with is the n.W.o."

"Well...lemme ask Eric tomorrow morning about it. Let's not talk about work right now. Tell me more about yourself Sophie."

Sophie:Oh not much. I lived in Indiana for awhile then decided to move down to Atlanta. Eric noticed me down there and now I work for him."

"That reminds me. Eric mentioned something earlier. Did you and him....uh...."

Sophie:"Oh God. What did he tell you?"

"That you and him had sex."

Sophie:"Listen, Eric's a jerk and a sleaze. That's...how I got this position. He told me if I wanted to be successful I had to sleep with him. My boyfriend at the time left me because of it. But I had to otherwise I'd be fired."

"Yeah, seems to be a common thread for wrestling bookers. The stuff I heard about Vince. And it's not as if you can complain."

Sophie:"Exactly. I'm really glad you understand this."

"Wait...you told my wife you still have a boyfriend."

Sophie:"That was just to put your wife at ease. But I gotta say, there's something about your wife I can't put my finger on."

"She's just really suspicious I guess."

Sophie:"I see, but yeah, with my lifestyle, there's no way I can have a steady boyfriend. And I can't date the wrestlers....that's why I'm really glad I met you. You're a really nice guy who understands me, and....oh...God."

"What?"

Sophie:"It's my former boyfriend, Ringo Masterson."

"The one who left you because of the....thing with Eric?"

Sophie:"No, this was the one before him. This one thought he could be a wrestler. He kept pestering me to talk to Eric to get him a job for WCW. He called himself the Ringmaster but after Steve Austin came to the WWF as the Ringmaster, he couldn't call himself that. And...oh man he's coming over here."

Ringo:"Sophie?! Hey...it's Ringo!"

Sophie:"I know Ringo. It hasn't been that long. How are you?"

Ringo:"Oh not bad. I'm here because I thought some WCW folk might be here. And, I see I'm right. Hey, who's this scrawny cheeseball?"

"I'm the head doctor for WCW and Eric Bischoff's partner in day-to-day affairs."

Ringo:"Oh really? You know, I'm a wrestler myself. But I'm sure Sophie told you that. Right Sophie?" Ringo winked at Sophie while Sophie smiled a bit and lowered her head.

Sophie:"I'll talk to you later Ringo OK? I'm in the middle of some things."

Ringo:"Alright, Ramada Inn, room 413."

Ringo walked away but he looked back to see Sophie smiling at him.

Sophie:"That Ringo..."

"Yeah...that Ringo."

Our main course arrived as we began to eat. We still conversed but the conversation wasn't as intense as it was prior to meeting Ringo. After we were done, we left a tip as we both went to our cars to go to our hotel. I noticed as I pulled out, that she didn't follow me. Usually she does because we stay in the same hotel but today she was going a different route. I tried not to think about it but she knew we had to meet Eric tomorrow in Atlanta. I checked into my room and crawled into bed. Tomorrow was going to be a big day.

Wow, I just read the whole thing, and it took me almost 2 full nights....but it was damn well worth it.

I think I enjoy the backstage politics even more than the matches, which I agree, could be shorter for Nitros. You've got everyone's characters down to a "T" and sometimes it gets hard to decipher what's in the show, and what is politics when it comes to n.W.o. antics. Great job though, I can't get enough!

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday, August 20, 1996

Atlanta, Georgia, 9:30am

I didn't see Sophie for the rest of the night but I got up at 5am this morning to drive down to Atlanta to meet Eric. I heard she had checked out, so I took it for what it meant. I walked through the door of the main entrance of the WCW headquarters. Things were still bothering me about Eric. He's become reckless in his booking and the public "suspension" of Luger is something that the internet is sure to be talking about. That's what made that suspension even weirder because he's so paranoid about the internet, especially Wade Keller. I logged onto that site a few times and while I'm flattered that I'm mentioned in his little news reports, I have to say, the news he posts are dead wrong sometimes.

I walked into the elevator and pressed the button for Eric's floor. Crappy Muzak was playing but right now I don't really want to think about that. I have a lot of things on my mind and a lot of things I want to talk to Eric about. This whole split between the n.W.o. and WCW has become a lot deeper than I thought it would be. The fact that he's booking the n.W.o. now and I'm with WCW is tolerable. But when it comes to WCW guys facing n.W.o. guys and him having the final say, that's where I draw the line. The fact that at every pay-per-view they'll be facing off against each other means the n.W.o. will always win. What's worse is that by the time the pay-per-view comes around, the WCW guys will be built up to be huge, but then just like that, the legs will be cut out from underneath them. I talked to Eric's secretary who buzzed me right in. I walked through the doors and I saw Hogan standing with Eric on the balcony smoking cigars.

Bischoff:"Doctor. Good to see you came. I'm sure you know Terry over here. Care to join us?"

"What're we celebrating?"

Bischoff:"Ratings. We beat the WWF yet again. I'm tellin' you man, this n.W.o. thing is on fire. I talked to Ted and I got Terry, Kevin and Scott to appear on other programming as well."

I couldn't deny that this was a good move, but I still had reservations.

"Well, Eric..."

Bischoff:"It was Terry's idea."

"Oh....well it was a good move."

Eric and Hogan put out their cigars as they walked inside.

Bischoff:"Talk to me doc." Bischoff put his feet on the desk and leaned back in his chair.

"It's about....does...Hogan know about the scenario?"

Hogan:"Brother, I know everything around here."

Great, the two biggest stars on each side know everything. Things are really in a sticky wicket now.

"It's about the booking Eric."

Bischoff:"Speaking of which, I got a page from Sophie. There's a Ringo Masterson who wants to try out for WCW. Since we've got no B-show yet, feed him to Malenko. See how it flies."

"Uh....ok."

Bischoff:"Also, what's the status on Page?"

"Last I heard he still needs a few weeks to rest up his shoulders."

Bischoff:"Perfect, when he's about to come back, we're giving him a push."

"What? Hold on Eric, the deal was, I book WCW. DDP is a WCW character, I book him not you. You just book the n.W.o. material."

Bischoff:"Yeah but Page is a friend of mine, and the fact is, he deserves better."

"Deserves better? You fed him to Scott Hall, not me. You created the mess he's in, not me. Now when he comes back I'll book him as I see it."

Bischoff:"Too bad, he's getting that push. What's next?"

Hogan:"Plus I wouldn't mind facing him. I think he and I would work well together."

"Um...yeah, maybe. OK...um...Lex. Was it necessary to publically fire suspend him." Eric laughed at this point.

Bischoff:"Yes, of course it was."

"Eric, you're always so paranoid of the internet, especially Keller, you know what's going to happen if they find out about this?"

Bischoff:"You know, I checked out his site. You're on there quite a lot. You've become quite the "Mystery Man." What's next?"

"I want some say when WCW guys face n.W.o. guys."

Bischoff:"Why?"

"Because it'll get boring very quickly Eric. Seeing the same guys win over and over again. We need some surprises."

Hogan:"He's right. Let some of the WCW guys win, build them up, make them look like threats. There's no fun in conquest if they're weak, then after some buildup we can beat 'em."

"Um...yeah. Hogan's right."

Bischoff:"Fine. I have next week's Nitro booked. Have you got something for me?"

"Yeah, I got some things planned."

Bischoff:"Well after we're done having our meeting let's work stuff out."

"Hogan too?"

Hogan:"Like I said brother, I know everything."

Bischoff:"What else you got?"

"Well, about that supsension. You gotta explain why you don't just fire all of the WCW wrestlers and take over WCW that way. Otherwise you're just going to confuse everyone."

Hogan:"Already taken care of dude."

"Umm....alright. Well, let's book the next Nitro shall we?"

I pulled out a pad of paper while Hogan, Bischoff and I booked Nitro. But the thought that was lingering in the back of my head was, how did Sophie manage to convince Eric to put Ringo on Nitro. She must have talked to him afterwards, but...when?

Guest Ringmaster

As usual, the behind-the-scenes stuff is probably even more compelling than the action itself, but that doesn't mean the action is bad, it's all good baby.

And push Ringo to the moon. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Monday, August 26th, 1996. Monday Night Nitro at the America West Arena in Phoenix, Arizona. 6511 people attended with $260,440 made in ticket sales.

7:45pm CST

I had just finished walking around when Eric approached me looking a bit frazzled.

”What’s wrong?”

Bischoff:”Are Schiavone and Heenan out there already?”

”Yeah, why?”

Bischoff:”OK, I got a call from Ted, we’re getting more commercial time now, so we’re going to be taking more commercials. Which means I gotta tell them when to cut to commercial. That and we’re getting a new show starting on September 5, a Thursday. So we need to hype that.”

”I see, but you better tell them right now, Nitro’s about to start.”

Eric strided away as I stared at my booking sheet. Man, this Nitro sucks, but then again, I barely had a say in this week’s Nitro. All I could do is hope no one gets hurt. I sat down to take my spot in the gorilla position as the Nitro theme song played.

8:00pm CST

Schiavone:”Welcome everyone to Monday Night Nitro! We’re here LIVE in the America West Arena here in beautiful Phoenix Arizona!”

Heenan:”You can say that again Schiavone. Of course, it’s only gotten better now that yours truly is here.”

Schiavone:”Well the crowd is pumped for this episode of Nitro, as well they should be. The Giant takes on Scott Hall in tonight’s main event!”

Heenan:”The Giant is one angry man and wants to get his hands on Hogan and Bischoff, and what better way to train then to take on Scott Hall. Will Hogan interfere? We’ll have to find out.”

Schiavone:”And you know that Hogan is here tonight as he has promised to address all of his fans. Huh. Also tonight, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero square off tonight in what should be one heck of a matchup.”

Heenan:”I’ll give it to Guerrero, he’s been on a roll lately. Jericho is untested, but already they’ve had words for each other. This is gonna be one match that I’ll be watching for sure as the n.W.o.-Horsemen feud keeps escalating.”

Schiavone:”Speaking of that feud, how will the Flair-Hall feud play out? Or the newly started Enforcer feud between Arn Anderson and Kevin Nash? What about Sting?! All of this and more on WCW Nitro!”

Rey Mysterio’s music played as the crowd politely applauded as Disco Inferno and Rey Mysterio Jr. walked out to the crowd. They got in the ring while Mysterio raised his Cruiserweight title in the air. The music cut out as Harlem Heat’s music began to play.

Schiavone:”Well folks, we’re kicking things off with a matchup between Harlem Heat and Rey Mysterio Jr. and Disco Inferno. Harlem Heat has been on a losing streak as of late, and Mysterio has a secret admirer. What an interesting combination.”

Heenan:”I’d say he’s admiring the title Tony, not Mysterio!”

8:07pm

Harlem Heat vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. and Disco Inferno

Mysterio immediately stepped on the apron and turned his head to Disco leaving Disco to start off the match. Stevie Ray started off the match for Harlem Heat. Both men fought valiantly but Stevie Ray took the offense to Disco. The camera showed Rey looking around in the distance while Disco was getting pummeled on. At 1:30 Booker T tagged in to continue the beating that Disco would receive. Disco ducked a clothesline and hit a dropkick on Booker T. Disco reached for the tag but Mysterio was still looking around for anything suspicious. Booker T tagged in Stevie Ray as they both hit a flapjack on Mysterio. Stevie Ray threw Disco to the outside as we entered the first commercial break at 3:45.

Bischoff walked up to me looking a bit rushed.

Bischoff:”Did they announce the commercial?”

”Yeah? Why’s this so important?”

Bischoff:”Ted got a call from our sponsors saying they weren’t happy with the lack of advertising time. Apparantly us promoting their stuff on the air isn’t good enough, so they said we had to use more advertising time or else they’ll pull their products because we’ll have violated the contract. So it’s important that we advertise a lot to make them happy.”

”I see.”

The match came back with a recap of Disco being thrown into the ringstairs. The time of the match is now 6:25 as Booker T has Disco on the top rope as he hits Disco with a huge superplex. Mysterio was now interested in the match as he extended his hand for a tag. Booker went for a cover but it was broken up with a slingshot legdrop by Mysterio to halt the count. At 7:00 Disco leapfrogged over Booker to tag in Mysterio. Mysterio jumped right into the match and began by kicking Booker T’s legs before whipping to the ropes. Mysterio hit a flying head scissors before climbing to the top rope. Stevie Ray pushed Mysterio off of the turnbuckles to send him flying to the guard rail outside. Stevie Ray rolled Mysterio back into the ring as Booker T hit the Axe Kick on Mysterio. Booker T covered Mysterio and got the pinfall at 9:15.

81%, 75%, 88%

8:20pm

The attacker strikes again…

Harlem Heat were celebrating their victory as Disco was helping Mysterio up. All of a sudden the masked cruiserweight entered the ring with the cruiserweight title. He clocked Disco in the face while watching Mysterio hold his neck. The mysterious superstar put his foot on Mysterio’s neck and held up the title while Mysterio screamed. The camera focused on Mysterio’s screaming masked face before it faded to black for a commercial.

78%

I pulled off my headphones and saw all of the n.W.o. drinking water and talking all around me. Now must be the obligatory n.W.o. segment which takes up a huge hunk of time.

”Eric, what’s the story on Lex?”

Bischoff:”Well, he was on Howard Stern and he badmouthed us. So I suspended him for a year. We’ll see how it goes from there. Are things planned for DDP?”

”Uhh…no not yet.”

Hogan:”Well you better get on that brother. I need more people to face and soon.”

”Umm…yeah you’re right. I’ll be speaking to him soon.”

Bischoff:”How about Regal and Hennig? Any news?”

”Regal’s fine, he should be back next week. Hennig is…another story. He’s got a slipped disc in his back. There’s no way he can wrestle.”

Bischoff:”Hmm….tell him he’s fired then.”

With that, the n.W.o’s music played as Nitro was back on the air. Mysterio walked back to the ring and smiled as he took off his mask. Disco walked by me without saying a word. Harlem Heat were standing in the back drinking water and just talking amongst themselves. I guess that now that they’ve ended their little losing streak, they’re happier both on and off screen.

8:26pm

The n.W.o. all come down to the ring…

The camera cut out and was replaced with a grainy feed that looked like it’s being filmed on an 8mm handheld camcorder. Jericho came out first, followed by Hall, then Nash, then Bischoff who finally introduced Hogan, with feather boa and WCW World Heavyweight Title. Hall had his United States title while Kevin Nash didn’t have his Television Title as Bischoff had suspended it. Bischoff took the mic first and addressed the crowd who were booing him.

Bischoff:”I had always heard stories about Phoenix being a little backwards….but now I know it’s true.” The crowd once again started to boo the n.W.o. but became silent as Bischoff held the microphone to his lips again. ”Man, what a week I had last week. Getting rid of Lex Luger and the Television Title. What a week! How sweet it is guys eh?” The crowd booed as Nash raised his arms and Hogan and Hall polished their belts.

Bischoff:”You know, a lot of people asked me, why don’t I do what I did to Lex Luger to the rest of the WCW wrestlers and take over WCW that way? I mean it’s a lot easier right? Well the answer to that is simple. Sure I could fire everyone of them, but I want to conquer WCW. And you don’t do that by firing everyone. That’s just getting rid of the competition, not destroying them. I want to beat them at their own game, and rape the company for what it’s worth. Milk them dry. And watch them beg as they suffer. That’s what I wanna do dammit! And by showing WCW my power, it will instill fear in them, which I will use to take over WCW, and the wrestling world. Once I’m done with WCW, I’m comin’ for ya Vince buddy. Better watch out eh?”

The crowd booed as Bischoff handed his microphone to Scott Hall.

Hall:”…..Heeeeeyyyyyooooo….” Hall waited for some of the cheers to fade away before continuing. ”Ric….Flair. THE man. Well meng, I have your belt. And you can tell me….that you’re Ric Flair, as loooooong…..as you want. But the fact remains that me, and my boys here….own WCW. You wanna fight me again meng? That’s fine by me. I have no problem’s beatin’ your wrinkly butt around an arena. Just name a time and place meng, and I will cut…..you……up.” Hall threw his toothpick right into the camera before handing his microphone to Nash.

Nash:”So…Anderson. You wanna mess with Big Sexy eh? Well you just messed with the biggest and the baddest. You call yourself the Enforcer? I call you a disgrace. You rely on one move over and over again, but other than that, you’re old, washed up, a loser. Let go and move on, before I humiliate you beyond belief. But if you wanna keep doin’ it this way, so be it. I can’t stop ya. Just know this old man, when you mess with me, you’re messin’ with all of us. And we’re together….FOR…..LIFE!” Hall raised his arm with the “Wolfpac” signal before Hogan takes the microphone.

The crowd’s boos oddly turned to cheers as they cheered Hogan.

Hogan:”See, now these people get it. They know a wrestling God, when they see it. They know a wrestling icon, a legend when they feast their pathetic eyes on Hollywood Hogan.” The crowd’s cheers turned to boos as Hogan pulled down his sunglasses. ”Oh, what’d you expect me to say? For you to say your prayers and eat your vitamins? You can take that advice and shove it up you know where! I’m here for one reason alone, and that’s you Giant. You and me, at Fall Brawl, we’re in the cage. But let’s not forget, Bischoff is in here with us. Now I know brother, I know that you’re upset at what happened at Road Wild. But let’s face it dude. You’re a crazy lookin’ freak. Who in their right mind would support you over the man who revolutionized professional wrestling….yours truly, Hollywood Hogan? No one cares if you’re the son of Andre dude. I beat Andre, I slammed him in front of 93,000 people, and I beat your sorry butt at Road Wild. But if you wanna dance the dance brother, if you wanna walk the walk, let’s do it the way it should be, and that’s inside a 15 foot high steel cage. The place where men become legends brother. And where legends become immortal. And for yours truly brother, I show you why I am…” Hogan begins to tear at his shirt while Jericho holds the microphone. ”The greatest wrestler, to EVER set foot in this ring. Whatcha gonna do Giant, when Hollywood Hogan and Eric Bischoff, tear you limb from limb inside a steel cage?!” Jericho dropped the microphone as all members of the n.W.o. taunted the audience and the camera faded to black for a commercial.

91%

8:42pm

I took off my headset and looked behind me to see Dean Malenko drinking some water. He was preparing for his match with a serious look on his face. Behind him came Ringo and Sophie.

”There you are, I’ve been looking all over for you.

Sophie:”Oh…yeah well…

Ringo:”She’s been with me these past few days….helping me….train for this upcoming match.”

”I see, well, you’re up against Dean right now. You do know how this match is supposed to go right?”

Ringo:”Oh…yeah no problem. Don’t worry about me. Dean should be worried.”

”Right, OK, well you’re goin’ to the ring right now.”

Ringo:”What? You mean I’m not getting introduced in front of the people?”

”Yeah, in front of these people, not the TV audience. Now go.”

Ringo began walking to the ring while the WCW Nitro theme played. He had a Phoenix Sun’s jersey on to try and elicit a response from the crowd. The crowd neither cheered nor booed as he walked to the ring.

Sophie:”Well…someone’s needlessly harsh.”

”The show’s about to start, tell Chris that I want to speak to him when he’s got a chance.”

Sophie:”Jericho?”

”Yeah…”

Sophie:”Gonna catch up on old times eh?”

I just put on my headset as she walked off. I could tell she was hurt, but I didn’t have time for that now.

8:46pm

Schiavone:”Welcome back folks! Stay tuned for Chris Jericho making his debut against Eddie Guerrero later tonight. And in tonight’s main event, The Giant will be taking on Scott Hall. You’ll want to keep your TV’s set to TNT. It’s WCW Nitro live, here in Phoenix! And right now, we hear Dean Malenko coming out to the ring. Bobby, what do we know about the competitor in the ring?”

Heenan:”I don’t know much about the guy. I tried to ask him what comes after a sentence, and he told me parole.”

Schiavone:”…..Right you are Bobby. I was told that Malenko wanted to prove his dominance in the cruiserweight division and he found this local talent from Phoenix.”

Dean Malenko vs. Ringo Masterson

The bell rang three times and Dean immediately charged Ringo. Ringo was pushed to the turnbuckle while Dean reigned in with stiff chops while Ringo collapsed. Malenko hit a quick snap suplex and immediately dropped his elbow on Ringo’s knees. Malenko stood up and kicked the hamstring of Ringo several times. He sat down and began to wring the leg of Ringo some more before standing up allowing Ringo to stand up. Malenko picked Ringo up and delivered a shinbuster on Ringo. Malenko grabbed Ringo’s foot and stretched it back some more. Immediately Malenko put the Texas Cloverleaf on Ringo while Ringo screamed. Ringo finally tapped out while Malenko kicked Ringo out of the ring. Malenko grabbed the house microphone.

Malenko:”See this….You see this?! This is what’s in store for any other cruiserweight who wants to get in my way. Each and every single one of you will….tap out.” Malenko dropped the microphone as he walked back to the entrance ramp. The referee was tending to Ringo as the camera switched to a backstage vignette.

59%, 41%, 78%

Sting confronts Flair…

Flair was getting a sandwhich as the crowd cheered. Flair turned around with a serious look on his face before breaking out in laughter.

Flair:”Sting! There’s the man!”

Sting:”Don’t…’Sting there’s the man’ me Ric.”

Flair:”What’s the problem man?”

Sting:”My problem? I’m not a member of the Horsemen. Everyone around me is saying ‘Sting, you should be in the Horsemen! You and Flair have so much history. And now, when WCW needs the Horsemen, you should be on it.’ You know what that means Ric? It means I’m not good enough, while Guerrero is. Guerrero is unproven.”

Flair:”Hey Guerrero has been winning matches…”

Sting:”And I’ve won titles. And I would win matches if I was booked on Nitro.”

Flair:”Hey, I can’t control that. You know that. Benoit hasn’t been booked either. I don’t know what’s going on in Bischoff’s mind, but maybe he knows that you and Benoit can do something.”

Sting:”Oh I’ll do something alright. Just wait…you’ll see it Ric. Everyone here will see, the Stinger unleash his true colours.”

The camera faded to black as Flair took a big bite out of his sandwich.

89%

Jericho approached me as the vignette faded to black. I have three minutes to kill so I had time to talk to Jericho.

Jericho:”Hey, Sophie said you wanted to see me?”

”Yeah I did actually. So another Winnipeg boy eh?”

Jericho:”…Yeah I heard you were from Winnipeg. Shit, small world eh? What area?”

”Charleswood. You?”

Jericho:”Jesus, St. James for me. Wow. Looks like we had different paths but the same destination eh?”

”Yeah…strange.”

Jericho:”I had heard some stories about you in the WWF. Is it true what I heard?”

”Well, what did you hear?”

Jericho looked around before he leaned in.

Jericho:”Steroids…”

”Who’d you hear it from?”

Jericho:”Hogan…he’s got a big mouth.”

”I…see. Well, thanks for telling me. Anyways, you got a match now, good luck. We’ll talk later about this.”

Jericho:”Thanks….hey why isn’t Sophie with ya?”

”Over there…check it out.”

Sohpie was tending to Ringo as he was putting ice on his head.

Jericho:”Ah don’t worry about her. She’ll come around.”

”There’s nothing going on.”

Jericho:”Yeah…now.”

Eddie joined Jericho and myself as he put his hand on Jericho’s shoulder.

Eddie:”Let’s tear the roof off man.”

Jericho:”You got it.”

Eddie:”Ehhhh doc! Protect your woman, she’s with that vato over there!”

”Don’t you guys have a match to wrestle?”

Highlights of last week’s challenge aired on the TV before Eddie Guerrero’s music hit. Eddie walked out to some cheers as he slapped his chest to try and get some of the audience behind him. Eddie climbed the turnbuckles and raised his arms as some of the audience took pictures while the rest cheered. The lights immediately went out as the n.W.o.’s music hit. The crowd roared as the music hit but some of the crowd died down as Jericho appeared on the entrance ramp. His back was to the ring before turning around with a cocky smile on his face. Jericho was wearing a standard n.W.o. shirt, long black and white tights and a black and white vest with the n.W.o. logo stamped on the back. Jericho stepped on the apron and tried to look like a million bucks while the crowd booed him. He stepped in the ring and the bell rang.

Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero

8:58pm

Eddie held out his hand for a test of strength. Jericho grabbed it and immediately kicked Guerrero in the chest. Jericho locked hands with Guerrero and for the first minute, both men felt each other out through a series of holds and counterholds by both men. After the first minute, a stalemate was seen as the crowd politely applauded the efforts of both men. Jericho’s and Guerrero’s face showed a bit of respect and frustration as their attempts of taking the other man down has been negated. Jericho hit a headlock on Guerrero but Guerrero reversed it with a side suplex. Jericho still held on. Guerrero went for a pin attempt at 1:25 but Jericho released the hold allowing Jericho to kick out of the pinfall attempt. Jericho allowed Eddie to get up before he hit a running clothesline on Guerrero. Jericho taunted the crowd while the crowd booed him. At 2:05 Jericho hit a snap suplex before going for a pinfall attempt. Eddie kicked out at 1. Jericho let Guerrero get up before hitting a bulldog. Jericho immediately hit a lionsault which got a big response from the crowd. He went for another cover but Guerrero kicked out at 2. Jericho stood up and taunted the crowd some more. At 2:45 Guerrero hit a rollup on Jericho. Jericho kicked out and hit an enziguri on Guerrero who was still trying to get to his feet.

Jericho climbed the ropes and hit an elbow drop on Guerrero. Jericho picked up Guerrero and hit another bodyslam on Guerrero. Jericho hit a single leg Boston crab on Guerrero while Guerrero screamed in pain. At 3:45 Guerrero touched the ropes to break the hold. Jericho dropped an elbow on Guerrero. He pulled Guerrero back for another single leg Boston crab but Guerrero pushed him off. At 4:25 Guerrero hit Jericho with a clothesline. Guerrero slugged it out with Jericho before whipping him to the ropes and hitting a swinging neckbreaker. Guerrero hit a running legdrop before climbing the ropes to the apron. Guerrero hit a solid helio on Jericho before whipping Jericho to the turnbuckle. At 5:45 Guerrero hit a lucha libre style DDT by running up the ropes and spinning around before dropping Jericho’s head. Guerrero slapped his chest and screamed to get some fan support. Guerrero climbed the turnbuckle and went to go for the frogsplash. Guerrero leaped off but Jericho moved out of the way. Jericho slowly covered Guerrero but only got a two count. Jericho slowly got to his feet and hooked on the Liontamer at 7:40. Guerrero was screaming in pain but he managed to get to the ropes. Jericho slowly walked over to Guerrero who punched him in the face. Guerrero slowly got to his feet but Jericho managed to pick up Guerrero for a bodyslam. Guerrero reversed it into a spinning DDT. The referee began a 10 count as both men were down on the canvas. As the referee got to 6….

Bischoff:”Hold it…hold it…hold it right now! As of now this match ends in a draw!” The crowd was booing as they wanted to see a finish to this match. ”If you people would stop booing you’ll hear why. You two want to destroy each other, that’s fine. I see that now. But if you’re gonna do it, you are gonna do it at Fall Brawl. Not here. That’s it, ring the damned bell.

88%, 78%, 99%

Jericho grabs the microphone…

Jericho grabbed the microphone from Bischoff’s hand. He was panting heavily.

Jericho:”You see Guerrero! You see you little Spanish flea? I took everything you got and I’m still standing. You can’t beat me. This was my first match here and look at how I subdued you. You’re pathetic Guerrero. You won’t even last half this time when Fall Brawl comes around. You and the rest of your pathetic Horsemen will go down and bow down at the hands of Chris Jericho and the n…..W…..o!”

Chris Benoit’s music hit….

Benoit:”Now hold on here Jericho. Eddie over there managed to take everything you gave him and he’s still standing. Everything you said applies to you. But if you think you can beat the Horsemen, why don’t you give me a shot? Next week, you and me? What do you say Jericho?”

Jericho:”You wanna take me on Chris? You think you can outwrestle me? The main event? Well we’ll see about that. Next week Benoit, it’ll be you….and me. Better get ready Chris, because come next week, you’re going down. And you Guerrero, are going down at Fall Brawl.” The camera faded on Benoit and Guerrero staring at Jericho while Jericho and Bischoff were laughing.

86%

I took off my headset as Eddie and Benoit came through the curtain. Benoit smiled at me but was somewhat silent as he walked by. Perhaps he’s upset at him not being booked lately. Eddie came up to me.

”Eddie, how you feelin’ man?”

Eddie:”I dunno man, the match wasn’t that great.”

”Are you kidding me? The match was great for a TV match. You and Chris will easily have a solid match at Fall Brawl.”

Eddie:”Thanks doc, but I can tell you’re just being nice. I’m….I’m gonna go take a shower alright?”

”Alright. Hey Chris, excellent match out there.”

Jericho:”It felt great. I’m just not a fan of the….I’ll tell you later. Eric and the boys are here.”

With that Chris left with Eric and the rest of the n.W.o. crew. Strange, last week he didn’t hang out with them, now this week he’s buddies with them. Two new wrestlers were walking around backstage looking a tad lost.

Cage:”Ah, so this is where we go.”

”Can I help you guys?”

Kanyon:”No you can’t help us, since we’re ready to go. Chris Kanyon here and my partner is Chris Cage.”

”Oh right, yeah you guys are facing the Steiner Brothers.”

Cage:”Facing? Ha…more like beating.”

”You….guys have read the booking sheet right? I’ve heard about you guys and you guys seem great. Just relax, and we’ll see how you guys fair tonight OK?”

Kanyon:”Aren’t you just a doctor?”

”Yeah….this is true. I am just a doctor, but I’m trained to know if you’re being stiff to your opponent, or if your putting your opponent in danger. Anyways, you guys gotta get out there before Nitro comes back on the air.”

Both men walked to the ring while the WCW Nitro theme played. They got some heat as they walked by. Probably stole some kid’s sign. I’m not entirely sure. The Steiner Brother’s approached me with their titles.

Rick:”Hey you haven’t heard about Fall Brawl have you?”

”What do you mean?”

Scott:”Who’s going over?”

”I haven’t heard, but I’ll talk to Eric.”

Rick sneered. ”Typical, Eric hasn’t got a fucking clue around here.”

Both men prepped themselves as Nitro came back on the air. The Steiner Brothers’ music began to play as they walked down the aisle. The crowd cheered as they held their tag team titles high in the air.

The Steiner Brothers vs. Chris Cage and Chris Kanyon

9:13pm

Schiavone:”Folks I’d like to take this time out and say that I know you’ve been missing WCW Saturday Night on TBS lately. But I’m here to announce that starting Thursday, September 5, 1996 at 7:00pm Eastern, 6 Central, join us on TBS for WCW Thursday Night Thunder!”

Heenan:”Oh I can’t wait for that. But I better not be stuck with you. One night a week is all I can stand of you Schiavone.”

Schiavone:”Folks, the opponents of The Steiner’s tonight are a young team consisting of Chris Cage and Chris Kanyon. All I have here is that they were sent by the will of Public Enemy to test the Steiners. Well, let’s see if they pass.”

The bell rang three times to signify the beginning of the match. Rick Steiner and Chris Cage started off the match. Chris tried to grapple with Steiner but was pushed off. Rick flexed his muscles as the crowd tried to cheer. Cage charged at Steiner but Steiner delivered a big back body drop. Steiner immediately ran towards Kanyon and clotheslined him off the apron. At 1:05 Steiner hit Cage with a standing vertical suplex. Steiner dropped a big elbow and tagged in Scott. Scott picked up Cage for a gorilla press slam. He pressed him above his head a few times before slamming him on the canvas. Cage tried to get to his feet but Steiner took him down with a solid clothesline. At 2:15 Scott tagged in Rick and hit a double team move consisting of Rick slamming Cage on Scott’s knee. Steiner threw Cage to the ropes. Cage managed to duck a clothesline and hit Steiner with a dropkick. Steiner was sent reeling as Cage managed to tag in Kanyon at 3:05. Kanyon jumped over the top rope as he ran towards Rick. Rick scooped up Kanyon for a tilt-a-whirl slam but Kanyon reversed it into a DDT. Kanyon taunted the audience which got little heat.

Kanyon hit a running snapmare on the perched Steiner before dropkicking the sitting Steiner. Kanyon went for a cover but before the count of 1, Steiner kicked out so hard Kanyon went flying. Kanyon landed on his feet and tried to clothesline Steiner but Steiner no sold the clothesline. Kanyon tried to deliver a few punches to Rick but once again he didn’t sell the punches. He blocked the fourth punch and delivered a stiff Steinerline that looked like it would take off Kanyon’s head. At 5:00 Scott was tagged in. Rick whipped Kanyon to the ropes. Rick picked up Kanyon and threw him to Steiner. Steiner immediately caught the flying Kanyon and hit him with a belly-to-belly suplex. Steiner went for the cover but was broken up by Chris Cage. Scott stood to his feet as Chris Cage backed off. The audience laughed as Chris begged for mercy. Scott laughed as he grabbed Cage and flung him a few feet across the ring. At 6:15 Scott whipped Cage to the ropes. Rick Steiner held the top rope down so Cage fell down to the outside. Steiner picked up Kanyon and hit Kanyon with a stiff spinebuster. At 7:00 Kanyon was whipped to the turnbuckles. Steiner climbed on top of Kanyon and began to punch Kanyon. The crowd chanted along as Steiner punched Kanyon’s face 10 times. Scott jumped off of Kanyon who was staggering around. Scott hit Kanyon with an overhead belly-to-belly suplex. Steiner went for a cover when the crowd began to boo…

Public Enemy came running in with a table in their hands. They took care of Rick Steiner as Rocco Rock threw him into the ring stairs. Both men entered the ring and set up a table. Johnny Grunge threw the referee outside of the ring while Rocco Rock held Scott Steiner in his arms. Grunge threw several fists to the face of Steiner before he collapsed. Rock then set up a table in the middle of the ring. Grunge placed Kanyon on the table while Rocco Rock climbed up the turnbuckle. Grunge then placed a limp Scott Steiner in Rocco’s hands. Rocco Rock leaped off the turnbuckle to plant Steiner through Kanyon and through the table. The crowd booed as they raised their arms in victory and as we went to a commercial break.

69%, 61%, 77%

9:25pm

I took off my headphones as Public Enemy came walking back through the curtains. They shoved me as they kept walking to the back. Guess they didn’t feel like talking to me or anyone. The Steiner’s were next to come through the curtain. They were limping as they came through the curtain but then started to walk normally. I asked if they wanted me to check them out to make sure that they were OK. Instead they said they felt fine and went to go to the showers. I heard Chris Cage on the microphone. Was he scheduled to talk? I peered at through the curtain.

Cage:”Alright Chris, looks like we got our asses handed to us by Public Enemy. What do you think about that Chris?”

Kanyon:”I dunno Chris. That’s totally bogus.”

Cage:”You got that right Chris. But watch us next week on Nitro, and watch us totally kick some butt in the tag team division. Right Chris?

Kanyon:”That’s right Chris. WOOOOO!!! Rock on Chris!”

Cage:”Rock on Chris!”

The crowd actually cheered a bit as they were walking backstage. Bischoff came up to me.

Bischoff:”What the hell was that?”

”I don’t know, but the fans sure like them.”

Bischoff:”Yeah…well, it’s up to you if you want to use them. They’re your guys. Not mine. I don’t want ‘em in the n.W.o.”

Bischoff walked away as Cage and Kanyon walked through the curtains.

Cage:”Man they loved us out there!”

”That’s right they did. But what you guys did was unprofessional. You had just gotten your asses kicked. There’s no need to completely ignore what had just happened in the ring just because you’re in front of 6000 people.”

Kanyon:”But the Steiner’s completely ignored our offense!”

”Be that as it may, there’s no reason for you guys to do that, and even worse, announce yourselves as being on Nitro next week. Bischoff’s pretty pissed with you guys right now. Anyways, show up next week, and he might put you guys back on. Are you guys OK? Feelin’ alright?”

Cage:”Yeah, I feel OK. You?”

Kanyon:”Feelin’ fine man.”

Nitro was back on the air with Tony and Bobby bantering about Road Wild and the upcoming pay-per-view of Fall Brawl. Some clips of last week’s Nitro aired while the announcers hyped the main event. Afterwards they were pimping Thunder that is to debut on the 5th of September. Finally, a vignette aired.

A little meeting…

9:35pm

There was a closed door with the Horsemen’s logo on it. The cameraman found an opening and peered inside as Flair, Anderson, Benoit and Guerrero were sitting inside.

Flair:”I’m tellin’ ya man. Everything’s going perfectly. If all goes well, by Starrcade, the Horsemen will be better than ever.”

Anderson:”That’s of course dependant on us winning all of our matches. Plus you don’t even know what’s going to happen at Fall Brawl.”

Benoit:”He’s right, we gotta focus on the now. Next week, what we know for certain is this. I’m facing Jericho. You, Eddie and Arn are unaccounted for. Who knows what Bischoff might have planned?”

Guerrero:”I know you can take Jericho man. I had that esse before Bischoff came in.”

Flair:”Chris is right, we don’t know what Bischoff has in store for us. But the way I see it, if we get in the n.W.o’s face…and challenge….hey….what the hell is that!”

Guerrero:”IT’S BISCHOFF!”

Anderson:”It’s not Bischoff…it’s a cameraman. Come inside.”

Flair:”How much did you hear?”

The camera went black as Benoit put his hand over the camera and the picture shifted to Schiavone and Heenan.

Schiavone:”Well folks, we hope you’ve been enjoying this week’s edition of Nitro. But coming up next, The Giant will be facing Scott Hall. And we’re getting word that next week, not only is Chris Benoit taking on Chris Jericho, but that Sting has challenged Kevin Nash to a match. Commissioner Bischoff has also promised that Hollywood Hogan will be present. And…wait we’re getting word, yes, Rey Mysterio Jr. has also challenged the masked wrestler to be present at next week’s Nitro for a challenge!”

Heenan:”Hold your horses Schiavone, I’m getting word that Harlem Heat has demanded a match against The Steiner Brothers.”

Schiavone:”Well folks regardless, next Monday is certainly a night that you want to tune in for.”

The Giant awakens…

The camera cuts to a feed of The Giant walking down a hallway to the ring for his match. The crowd cheered as The Giant had an angry look on his face.

Schiavone:”Well folks, the time is now! Scott Hall and The Giant! It’s Monday Night Nitro and it’s next here on TNT!”

77%

9:45pm

The Giant was standing beside me looking larger then ever.

”Uhh…Paul can I talk to you?”

Giant:”What about?”

”This is…me as a doctor speaking, but you…we….I….you gotta watch what you eat. I understand you’re The Giant and all, but you’re getting a little heavy and I’m afraid that you as a main eventer, where you have to be athletic, is going to be a bit tough in your condition.”

Giant:”Well what about Hogan? He can barely move in that ring sometimes!”

”This is true, but he’s the champion, and as such, you have to make him look good since….he puts asses in seats. And if you can’t….”

Giant:”What’re you saying?”

”You’re going to be put off of TV. Eric said that if nothing changes, Fall Brawl could be your last match for awhile.”

Giant:”What?! That’s bullshit. He can’t do that. Why didn’t you say something?”

”There’s nothing I can say. In my professional opinion…”

Giant:”That’s bullshit. You’ve changed doc. You’re becoming more and more like Eric’s lackey. You better change your opinion.”

”…It’s time for your match Paul.”

I sighed as Nitro came back on the air and The Giant’s song hit. Paul walked through the curtain and raised his hand showing more intensity then I had ever seen him have. When The Giant was in the ring, the lights shut off. The crowd cheered with the lights going out before hearing the n.W.o. guitar’s playing. The feed on the television went black and there was no audio. The feed came back in the grainy black and white as Scott Hall walked to the ring with the United States Championship. He did his airplane walk as the crowd booed Hall. Hall threw his toothpick at a fan who was berading him as he kept walking to the ring.

The Giant vs. Scott Hall

9:48pm

The bell rang three times as the match was now on. Hall tried to chop The Giant but The Giant didn’t flinch. Hall tried punching The Giant in the gut, but to no avail. Hall ran to the ropes and tried a shoulderblock but The Giant just stood there. Hall had a nervous laugh and turned around. He tried to surprise him with a right hand but The Giant blocked it and hit Hall with a headbutt. Hall fell to the ground and rolled out of the ring. The Giant screamed which caused some fans to cheer. Hall entered the ring after a few seconds of pacing. The Giant slapped Hall and whipped him to the turnbuckle. At 1:30 The Giant hit a huge splash on Hall which sent Hall collapsing to the canvas. The Giant dropped a leg across the throat of Hall. The Giant went for a cover but Hall kicked out at 2. The Giant picked up Hall and whipped him to the ropes. The Giant hit a big boot to Hall’s face. The Giant dropped an elbow across Hall’s chest. The Giant picked up Hall and kneed him in the chest before picking him up for a bearhug at 2:45. The Giant then slammed himself and Hall down on the canvas as the referee began the pinfall count. Hall again managed to kick out at 2. The Giant slowly rose to his feet while the crowd was cheering him. He grabbed Hall’s greasy hair but Hall hit The Giant with a low blow.

The Giant fell to his knees and while Hall slowly rose to his feet. Hall kicked The Giant in the face a few times. At 4:00 Hall clotheslined The Giant which took the big man down to the canvas. Hall went on top of The Giant and slapped him around. Hall stood up and taunted the crowd which booed him. The Giant was slowly getting to his feet as Hall turned around. Hall hit a clothesline which sent The Giant reeling. Hall hit a dropkick which sent the Giant reeling through the ropes to the outside area. Hall went outside and whipped The Giant to the ringside stairs. The stairs became unbuckled as Hall kicked The Giant in the face a few more times. Hall tried to pick up The Giant but he shoved Flair into the barricades. The Giant was slow to his feet as Hall was trying to get up as well. Hall charged at The Giant but The Giant threw Hall into the ringpost.

At 7:45 Kevin Nash came out. Kevin Nash hit a running boot on The Giant. Nash and Hall began to beat on The Giant while the referee was ringing the bell for a disqualification. The crowd cheered as Arn Anderson came running down the ramp. Nash turned around and Arn hit a huge spinebuster on Nash onto the entrance. The crowd really came alive with the spinebuster. But they immediately started to boo as Hogan came running down. Hogan and Hall attacked Anderson. The crowd came alive as Flair came running down with a chair. He cracked Hall over the head with a chair while he and Hogan stared at each other. They were nose to nose before Jericho came in and delivered a bulldog on Flair. Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero came running down to save Flair. A few seconds later Sting came out and slowly walked towards the brawl but the camera faded to black before we could see what would transpire.

82%, 82%, 83%

10:00pm

The brawl was still going on but I took off my headset. I told my junior associate to treat any minor injuries which may occur.

I looked around to find Sophie but I couldn’t find her. So I went up to makeshift desk that she had. I found a note: ”Doctor, sorry we can’t have drinks tonight. I left with Ringo. We’re still catching up. I’ll call you tomorrow. Sophie.” Nice, looks like I’m drinkin’ alone tonight.

Stagehand:”Doctor?”

”Yeah?”

Stagehand:”It’s your wife.”

I walked to pick up the phone as I wondered about Sophie and Ringo.

6.01 TV rating. Overall rating: 81%

WCW starting to lose steam

By Wade Keller.

So, did anyone else get the feeling we were watching a warped and twisted version of WCW Nitro and WCW Saturday Night? What the hell were the bookers thinking? Now I realize you need to debut talent, and maybe Chris Cage and Chris Kanyon will be back next week, but that doesn't explain Dean Malenko's squash. I realize that WCW is lacking on the cruisers (with Ultimo Dragon and WCW mutually parting ways for him to do some Japanese tours under the guise of representing WCW), but in this wrestling climate, where both shows are hot, you shouldn't give the fans a reason to change the channel.

WCW gambled a lot on the Jericho/Guerrero match and the main event of The Giant/Hall. I will give my thoughts on those shows in a bit but isn't it getting a tad too predictable when only 2 matches had a clean finish? One of those matches was a squash. I think WCW will start to lose fans if they don't fix their act. We get it, the n.W.o. like to talk about taking over the industry, which means ruining matches.

The fact of the matter is this, WCW is competing with WWE by offering big PPV style matches. Now yes, that will work in the short term, but ultimately they are shooting themselves in the foot. Because if those matches are clean, then there is no incentive for people to purchase the pay-per-views, but if they are shmoz matches, then people will get upset with the bait-and-switch routine. Also what I've noticed, and judging from the emails I got last night, I'm not the only one, that the n.W.o. are suddenly getting more and more tamer as weeks go on. Anyone remember how wild they were when they debuted? Now that Bischoff is running the show, it seems as if they're just another faction. What's going on? Anyways, on to the show.

Rey Mysterio Jr. and Disco Inferno vs. Harlem Heat

This was a decent match as I'm still intrigued as to what they're going to do with Rey. You could see he was conflicted and upset. Is it because he's not a Horsemen member? Probably if you've been watching Nitro these past few weeks. The action in of itself was OK. Disco can really sell when he wants to and he made this match. The times Rey was in, it was fun to watch as he adapted to the heavyweight style better than I thought he could. All in all, this match exceeded my expectations. ***1/2

The surprise attack on Rey was nothing special. I had a feeling it was coming and yep, it happened. It was fine for what it was, I did like however that the masked wrestler raised his arms with the title. If played right, this match could get a lot of heat and make WCW some pretty nice scratch.

The n.W.o. interview that went on forever. I say this like it's a bad thing. It could be. They could've been boring, but the fans and the charisma of each member of the n.W.o. shined and I didn't mind the 15-20 minutes of them talking. I knew that I would be getting matches so I was willing to compromise. Its purpose was fulfilled and that was to hype up the matches. Also Bischoff did a good job in explaining why he won't just fire everyone from WCW. I'm glad he did that as that was a huge gap in logic.

Dean Malenko vs. Ringo Masterson. Yeah...the less said the better. **

Sting confronting Flair was a nice sight to see. I'm still upset that they're not utilizing Sting as much as they should (but maybe they're right not to given what I heard). Everything Sting said made sense regarding his views on how he should have been placed in the Horsemen. I enjoyed it and as usual, Flair made it even more entertaining.

Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero. Wow. That's all I can say. I can't wait to see these two lock up at Fall Brawl. This was a solid match marred only by the fact that the finish was lame and how there was little buildup. But given the right amount of buildup and this could easily be a MOTYC. The crowd was hot and everything just gelled in this match. Give it another 10 minutes and watch the sparks fly. ****

The post match interview was fine for what it was. It was good to see that Jericho was getting some mic time since he looked like the n.W.o.'s bitch in the previous segment by holding the microphone. He really is talented and I hope WCW has some more plans for Jericho after Fall Brawl. Also, I can't wait for his match against Benoit next week, even though I can guess how it will end.

Chris Cage and Chris Kanyon vs. The Steiner Brothers. OK these two guys can sell. I know I haven't heard much about them but they can sell and they can wrestle. Too bad The Steiner's didn't feel like selling for them. What I am upset with is that these two guys have debuted without any fanfare. They're goons of Public Enemy? Ugh. And if that was the case, why did Public Enemy destroy them too? Was it because they didn't get the job done? All I know is, as far as debuts go, this was one of the worst. **1/2

The Horsemen discussing Fall Brawl and their future plans had me intrigued. The fact that Flair mentioned Starrcade means that the booking team are thinking ahead and of course, that makes me happy. Everyone said enough, but not too much to pique my interest without revealing anything. Guerrero is hilarious in his acting and I could sense some solid interactions with Flair in the future. Anderson and Benoit acting as the solid foils to Flair and Guerrero make sense considering their mutual histories.

The Giant walking...wow, I didn't know he could walk. Honestly.

Scott Hall vs. The Giant. I'm surprised they didn't mention it was a non-title matchup. Not that it would've mattered honestly. I knew the end result would be a "no contest" and lo and behold, they didn't let me down. The action was OK, but I just find it weird that at Road Wild, The Giant was made to be like a low class wrestler, but now he was dominating Hall? To be fair, the moves that The Giant were doing made sense as they were all power moves for a slow, lumbering Giant and the twists and turns made sense. The post match brawl was fun to watch, especially with the camera fading out on Sting as he was about to make his move. What's he gonna do? Who knows. ***1/4

*RANDOM NEWS AND NOTES*

Talks with ECW have ceased over the weekend. From what my sources tell me, Bischoff wanted to have the n.W.o. debut on ECW. Heyman of course refused and now talks have broken down.

The Giant was told to lose some weight or else risk being demoted to the WCW Powerplant.

Chris Cage and Chris Kanyon were seen on the microphone during the commercial break after their match. The crowd was thoroughly entertained and from what my sources tell me, management seems to have turned a 180 on their thoughts on these two wrestlers. During the impromptu session, they were heard saying "We'll be back on Nitro next week." More on this as it develops.

Sting was heard making rather vocal questions about the WWF. What does this mean for the Stinger?

Ringo Masterson did not impress management enough. My sources tell me he will be getting one more shot at the new WCW Thunder show.

Speaking of the WCW Thunder show, my sources tell me that it will be live for the debut episode, but will revert to being taped afterwards. It is unknown if it will be at a fixed location, or if it will be like Nitro and have a different location each week.

Diamond Dallas Page should be cleared to wrestle in a few weeks. My sources tell me that Hogan is lobbying to have DDP pushed to main event status ASAP. More on this as it develops.

Stephen Regal should also be cleared to wrestle in a few weeks as well.

I'm getting word that WCW may be releasing some of their talent in the Powerplant in favour of picking up new talent. We'll keep you posted on any developments.

Finally, the mysterious doctor was once again seen talking to Eric Bischoff about plans of the new Thunder show. What does this mean exactly? We'll keep you updated.

For now, I'm Wade Keller, and this is PWTorch.

© Copyright 1996 by TDH Communications Inc.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sobear

Don't mean to revive a dead topic, or whatever, but this was the only Diary I made it all the way through. I didn't read matches, because I was more interested in the backstage story line. Very very well written. Sad to see you haven't updated in awhile, but that kind of thing happens. :( Look forward to seeing something new.

• 2 months later...