GANGNAM STYLE!

Stevie B

My favorite part is when he's doing the dance across the street...I dunno why but I crack up everytime at that

When I first saw this video, I had 2 reactions..

1. What the hell did I just watch

2. Why the hell was I so entertained by it

Okay, so I like this, but can anyone tell me how this is any different from LMFAO? Beyond the language/cultural difference, obviously. But, I look at this and think, "oh, it's like Korea's version of 'Sexy and I Know It.'" Yet, I've told this to a few people and they just look at me funny.

Okay, so I like this, but can anyone tell me how this is any different from LMFAO? Beyond the language/cultural difference, obviously. But, I look at this and think, "oh, it's like Korea's version of 'Sexy and I Know It.'" Yet, I've told this to a few people and they just look at me funny.

That's exactly what it is, except in a different language with more parodying of the culture. I mean, it's a big barrier for people to get over to understand the video. They're right to laugh, it's meant to be fun and funny. But I just find a lot of people are laughing at it because "lol asians" instead of what they really should be laughing at. And that's probably the type of people who don't get the LMFAO comparison.

That's exactly what it is, except in a different language with more parodying of the culture. I mean, it's a big barrier for people to get over to understand the video. They're right to laugh, it's meant to be fun and funny. But I just find a lot of people are laughing at it because "lol asians" instead of what they really should be laughing at. And that's probably the type of people who don't get the LMFAO comparison.

I'll admit...I didn't laugh because "lol asians"...I laughed because I was honestly amused by the whole thing without knowing what the hell was going on

I dunno if I'd say it has more parodying of the culture. I'd think that's a bit tough to quantify. They're certainly making fun of different cultural trends, but I feel like both have the same telos.

It might be that LMFAO are more subtle in that regard. Parodying might not have been the best word choice either, but PSY encompasses a ton of Korean pop culture at the moment into his video. LMFAO is making fun of one simple thing throughout the song and video, narcissism. They both do have the same end in sight though, absolutely.

I'll admit...I didn't laugh because "lol asians"...I laughed because I was honestly amused by the whole thing without knowing what the hell was going on

I wasn't targeting anyone here, but it can't be denied a huge reason for it's popularity is because a certain segment of the western population is fascinated with Asian videos in a "haha they're so weird and wacky, everyone there is so strange" way as opposed to the humor you're supposed to getting from it. It can be funny without knowing what's going on, look at the fucking dance he does.

All that said, the "lol asians" part of the population is certainly a huge reason it's been spread to so many people.