We are the mods!

First thing I think should be done is getting the scales. Get one guy who'll be the top in each category (not like one super wrestler, but like Brock Lesnar might be tops for Brawling, Kurt Angle for Technical Wrestling, just as broad and probably not game-accurate examples), one guy for the middle, and maybe one guy who's dirt worst. Just so you have a frame of reference for everything.

The same should be done with popularity gauging what sort of popularity at the time would equate to a main ever and midcard level for each level such as WWE, TNA and indies although if your starting at the start of 2004 there would not be much difference between TNA and the indies with the exception of the named talents.

Yeah, I just used the match stats as an example, but you should do it for all the graded stats. Also, if you're trying to get a bunch of people to help out with this, putting your choices up publicly, along with the respective scores, would help everybody get on the same page.

Right then, benchmarking.

Each stat will have three examples; a high, an average and a low.

The following list will be highlighted under a traffic light system, green means they're the top benchmark, amber they're considered average in that repsect and red is considered poor. Some examples won't have a red or an amber (or both!) as of yet, probably because I can't really think of a good example.

Remember this is one guy's humble opinion, if you think something is massively wrong which would render the idea of enjoyment of a finished product under these benchmarks absurd then by all means be heard. I'm just one guy, after all. I'd also say that I'm judging this pretty much purely on the WWE, TNA and ROH rosters at this time. I'm more than happy to hear some suggestions from guys outside of the American 'big three' as it were but I'd request to keep it strictly North American based, purely because as nice as it is to dream big I do want to keep this as contained as possible for the time being. When we've at least got some sort of version underway we can start looking at expanding. But for now this is just EWR but a bit bigger.

Brawling - Brock Lesnar, Shannon Moore.

Puroresu - Bryan Danielson.

Hardcore - Mick Foley, Chris Benoit.

Mat Work - Bryan Danielson, Raven, Batista.

Chain Wrestling - Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Kane.

Submissions - Chris Benoit, Triple H, Amazing Red.

Aerial - Rey Mysterio, Chavo Guerrero, Goldberg.

Flashiness - Rob Van Dam, John Cena, Big Show.

Microphone - Chris Jericho, Samoa Joe, Chad Collyer.

Charisma - Eddie Guerrero, Tyson Tomko, Chad Collyer.

Acting - William Regal, Chris Benoit, AJ Styles.

Announcing - Jim Ross.

Athleticism - AJ Styles, Chavo Guerrero, Mark Henry.

Toguhness - Chris Benoit.

Stamina - Kurt Angle, Bradshaw, Hulk Hogan.

Power - Mark Henry, Zach Gowen.

Basics - Ric Flair, Randy Orton.

Psychology - Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy.

Safety - Christopher Daniels.

Consistency - Shawn Michaels, Jeff Hardy.

Selling - Shawn Michaels, Big Show.

Respect - Ric Flair, Chavo Guerrero, Jeff Hardy.

Reputation - John Cena, Scott Hall.

Sex Appeal - Trish Stratus, Rob Conway, A-Train.

Star Quality - The Rock.

Menace - Brock Lensar, Zach Gowen.

Resilience - Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Mark Henry.

Refereeing - Earl Hebner, Nick Patrick.

Things mostly look good, I can see where you are going. If things are still happening when I get TEW next year then I would be more than happy to help out.

One thing I would caution you on is your use of reputation, resilience, and consistency. I haven't downloaded the demo for 2013 yet, but if they haven't changed since 2010, then they have some specific rules. Off the top of my head, most guys are around 85% consistency and most guys are at 80% resiliency (or vise versa). I'm not saying anything you said in your examples are wrong off these notes, just want to make sure.

John Cena as the top of Reputation in 04 seems off. Though I'm not entirely sure what exactly Reputation means in this game.

John Cena as the top of Reputation in 04 seems off. Though I'm not entirely sure what exactly Reputation means in this game.

IIRC, reputation in TEW 2010 was meant to be 100% unless someone has done something (I'm assuming been busted with drugs, intentionally worked stiff, etc.). The help file should confirm if this is the same for 2013.

Edited by Kevin Elliott

Things mostly look good, I can see where you are going. If things are still happening when I get TEW next year then I would be more than happy to help out.

One thing I would caution you on is your use of reputation, resilience, and consistency. I haven't downloaded the demo for 2013 yet, but if they haven't changed since 2010, then they have some specific rules. Off the top of my head, most guys are around 85% consistency and most guys are at 80% resiliency (or vise versa). I'm not saying anything you said in your examples are wrong off these notes, just want to make sure.

I have started implimenting a 80% generic resiliancy in the 2005 mod although there are exceptions to that, Jericho could go to 90%, the guy rarely got injured during his career besides i think a broken arm which needed a plate, plus anyone over say 50-60 should not be over 50-60%.

Also personally i'd give Undertaker the highest marks for respect but thats just me, I think Flair has done a few things that could make someone think less of him (not too much but not on a par with Taker).

One thing that i do dislike when i look through a mod is having someone set to 100%, in some areas one or two can get away from it but i always work on a rule of thumb that nobody is perfect, the only 100%'s i think a mod for this period could warrent is popularity for the big three (Hogan, Austin & Rock) simply because they are known outside the industry for the idustry.

If i recall he was upto his old tricks on the plane ride from hell in 2002.

True, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that to be anything less than a few points' drop.

I'd agree but personally I'd rate Undertaker at 95-98% and Flair at 86-90%, not knocking Flair but how many times have you heard someone put down Taker.

Progress!

I've got a handy little excel spreadsheet with the 104 wrestlers who were (according to the January 2004 RaveX EWR mod) on the official WWE roster. I'm about half way through the stats for all of them, at which point we'll start adding them to the game. Nothing's been tested out as of yet but I'm trying to aim for a realistic yet challenging style, for instance I've completed the first thirteen stats and I've only awarded two A*s. Real world mods are always far too bloated stat-wise for my liking.

Also, I need volunteers for some good ol' fashioned data entry, because hey, the more people on board the quicker this will come together (personally I'd be hoping to actually release something minor come February time). Data entry would only be to input the skills at this point, I'm yet to touch anything else on the worker screen. Slow and steady, right?

Progress!

I've got a handy little excel spreadsheet with the 104 wrestlers who were (according to the January 2004 RaveX EWR mod) on the official WWE roster. I'm about half way through the stats for all of them, at which point we'll start adding them to the game. Nothing's been tested out as of yet but I'm trying to aim for a realistic yet challenging style, for instance I've completed the first thirteen stats and I've only awarded two A*s. Real world mods are always far too bloated stat-wise for my liking.

Also, I need volunteers for some good ol' fashioned data entry, because hey, the more people on board the quicker this will come together (personally I'd be hoping to actually release something minor come February time). Data entry would only be to input the skills at this point, I'm yet to touch anything else on the worker screen. Slow and steady, right?

I can help out. I have downloaded the demo now. I want to test things out for a bit to get a feel of the game world, but I am more than happy to help out.

Progress!

I can definitely help with data entry. Give me a shout if you'd like some help.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got 132 match types in the game. I've managed to pare it down a bit for the default match list, but I'm pretty sure that I've represented most match types that occur, save for the unsavory ones that I wouldn't touch with a 39.5' pole.

I'm also working on angles, as I said I would. The copy feature has been really useful there, although players will have to go beyond the default angle list if they want to do angles involving a larger group of individuals. I'm trying to make angles for every way of getting a person over that makes sense for a worker. Most angles will have versions that rate on Entertainment or Overness, while versions rating on Menace and Sex Appeal obviously are only present if the individual in question is unlikely to talk during the segment. So far, I've got hype videos done for up to eight participants in match configurations and six participants in group configurations, all the possible interview segments including self-hype for up to four people, match hype interviews for up to a 4-on-four situation, and multi-man stables threatening groups of up to four people. I've started on some action bits, but only have the basic attack angles down.

Thus far, it's sitting at just above 100 angles, mostly due to fixing copied angles in order to make them read right and sim right, as well as me repeatedly forgetting that there is now a default angle function.

Question for y'all, since you're more used to making mods: should I include romance angles at all, or just do the basic "Diva"/"Female" angles and leave it at that?

So I've got 132 match types in the game. I've managed to pare it down a bit for the default match list, but I'm pretty sure that I've represented most match types that occur, save for the unsavory ones that I wouldn't touch with a 39.5' pole.

I'm also working on angles, as I said I would. The copy feature has been really useful there, although players will have to go beyond the default angle list if they want to do angles involving a larger group of individuals. I'm trying to make angles for every way of getting a person over that makes sense for a worker. Most angles will have versions that rate on Entertainment or Overness, while versions rating on Menace and Sex Appeal obviously are only present if the individual in question is unlikely to talk during the segment. So far, I've got hype videos done for up to eight participants in match configurations and six participants in group configurations, all the possible interview segments including self-hype for up to four people, match hype interviews for up to a 4-on-four situation, and multi-man stables threatening groups of up to four people. I've started on some action bits, but only have the basic attack angles down.

Thus far, it's sitting at just above 100 angles, mostly due to fixing copied angles in order to make them read right and sim right, as well as me repeatedly forgetting that there is now a default angle function.

Question for y'all, since you're more used to making mods: should I include romance angles at all, or just do the basic "Diva"/"Female" angles and leave it at that?

Like what?