EWB March Madness 2013

I graduated from La Salle last year, my girlfriend still goes there. The campus was insane last night...the whole street was shut down while students poured out of dorms/houses and raged in the street. There are some pretty cool videos on local sports blogs Crossing Broad and The 700 Level, that might be worth checking out.

Insane run for the Explorers so far though, hope they can keep it going.

What a fucking day. Wow. Historic wins, thrilling games, and just some beautiful basketball from FGCU.

Also, I had Marquette in my Elite 8 HTTK.

Yay, I'm not the only one.

Marquette, Arizona, Duke, and Gonzaga are notoriously shitty teams for me. No matter what I do, they do the opposite. When I think it's a down year, they do well (or Marquette makes an amazing run, upsetting Kentucky along the way or some stupid shit). If I pick them, they flop. Georgetown has now officially joined them.

I need Louisville/Michigan St to win with Louisville going through .... Marquette to go through, and Kansas to win one more.

Well UCLA has hired Steve Alford as their new head coach...

DMN should be fairly happy with that choice... I think Alford is a great fit their and UCLA will definitely be one of the teams to watch over the next few seasons...

As far as my bracket is concerned... Duke is still in which is great as I had them winning it... Florida is my only other final four team though :(

I think the Steve Alford hire is good for UCLA. This isn't the "huge splash" they were hoping for as he's somewhat been under the radar outside of college basketball circles, but he's won everywhere he's gone. The only knock on him has been his lack of success in March, but there's a pretty lengthy list of coaches who "could never win in March" until they ended up winning in March. Jim Boeheim and John Calipari come to mind there. DMN, is he viewed as being a good fit there or are people down they didn't get Stephens or Smart?

What's intriguing is that UNM was in the national title discussion for next year, and regardless of who comes in to coach they still very well could be. They'll be calling Gregg Marshall the second Wichita State's run ends next Saturday (or Monday). I could also see an older coach come out of retirement, there's always some hanging around, and coach the team for a couple of years.

Most people aren't happy with Alford because they don't think he's an upgrade over Howland. I'm willing to give him a chance, but I'm the rare UCLA fan who cares more about football than basketball.

Interesting. I felt the first half of Howland's run was fantastic, and he was one of the best coaches in the country. But bad luck really ruined the second half as prized recruits didn't pan out, one and dones were all over the program, and this led to him losing his touch recruiting within the region. Not that he shouldn't have been fired, but Howland's demise I feel was more the fault of external factors.