Pens and Papers

KONGO

Yeah, the person who tends to be a problem player tried doing that when I DMed the Abbey campaign. He would constantly try to sneak around not having to make bluff checks, would always mention how he knows X about Y monster, etc. For some reason he tried acting like me tying against his defense meant that it wasn't a hit, even though every other time that's happened it was always tie = hit. It felt like he was trying to get away with stuff just because it was my first time DMing. It didn't help that he was one of two people I had to actually cover my rolls from due to peaking over the DM screen at them.

I'm hesitant to DM solely because of him, but I also want to shoot him down if he tries pulling any crap again. He's tried arguing over rules to be in his favor in our Shadowrun campaign going on right now, trying to use the term "subject" in a power description loosely so that he could use a Mask power or something on an ID card. Despite our GM saying the power was meant for disguising yourself as someone else, he still pressed on how the power didn't say that and only said "subject." Luckily, I doubt that will arise in an Avatar campaign using the D&D system, but I still await for him to try twisting something in his favor. Luckily he's actually a good DM; it's when he becomes a player where he can become aggravatingly annoying.

Shadowrun is my favorite RPG, and the Mask thing would have me livid. All i have to say is, its a good thing i wasn't the GM.

I've got an interesting SR story: One of my two main characters is a medical doctor turned sniper *, and a tactic I often do is to use slap patches with some pretty nasty chemicals on unsuspecting victims. (Atropine and the street drug Zen are favorites) Like shaking someone's hand while holding a slap patch in the glove, or going to provide medical assistance as a `medical professional who just happens to be on scene' and putting slap patches on the security guards or the actual injured party. Had a GM try to rule that I'd dosed myself since I was holding onto the patch. Now, a slap patch does contain DMSO, but.....if both sides of the patch would affect someone, then no one could use slap patches since they would be dosing himself. Especially with a Biotech skill of 6. Everyone protested, the GM wouldn't overturn his decision, and since I was the team's only medical support at the time, someone almost died because I was out of action. Nobody was happy with the GM, and he's damned lucky the PC who was banged up pulled through. (It happened to be the team's Mage, who was the only other healer)

The consequence of this was: 1. The player in question never got to GM for the group again. 2. When he just so happened to show up to play with us a couple of sessions later, for some reason his Phys Ad not only ended up missing an important jump, but busted up his legs so badly he ended up with both of his lower legs replaced with cyberware. Absolutely no clue how that happened...... (And no, I wasn't the GM. The player who ran the Mage that almost bought the farm was!)

* In case your wondering how a medical doctor ends up being a sniper: Went in the military, trained to be a sniper, then went to medical school on the G.I. Bill, then opened his own medical practice. Lost it due to be hosed over by a megacorps when he couldn't save one of their executives who was brought in practically D.O.A., and became a Shadowrunner. I use him more as medical support than as a sniper, even though he has the best sniper rifle for his era. (He's 3rd Edition) What keeps him from being an overpowered character, since he's packing a Model 121 sniper rifle which shoots APDS rounds, is that the ammo is hard to come by. I've never fired more than 3 rounds in a mission.

• Like 1

Anyone want to help me make some characters for my upcoming Pathfinder one-shots? I think I'll need 10 characters, split into two groups.

Group A: Going on a zombie adventure

Group B: Dungeon (well, castle) crawl.

Character creation rules: Character level 7, epic fantasy build, if possible use http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php'>this character creation program, if possible, have the names be geeky references to video games or movies.

Also, will be playing with relatively inexperienced group, so no characters too confusing (Summoner, I'm looking at you)

Regarding the problem Vitamin E had with the idiot trying to claim a Mask spell would work on an ID card, here's how I would handle it:

Let the player create (and pay) for a spell that affects the ID card. But......make that particular ID card a spell focus for it, meaning the spell only work on it and if he loses the card, he loses the spell until he procures another ID card and enchants it. But make him pay double for it if the spell works against scanners. Obviously, the force of the spell would be used for the opposing perception/security tests.

But just for getting on my nerves, i'd dock him half his karma reward for the mission he tried the bs argument during (or the mission after, if it didn't happen during gameplay).

I'll definitely check out that program, Ruki.

So...for a level 7 fighter....is 28AC way too much? I've never played a higher level (ok, level 7 isn't high, but shut up) campaign, so I have no idea how hard the monsters hit. Spent most of money on +1 Corrosive longsword, +1 full plate, +1 heavy steel shield.

I'm making you an invulnerable rager barbarian, and likely a bard that can open trapped doors and maybe an alchemist or witch for my three ruki.

There's a GREAT alchemist that is a crypt breaker...fights undead and opens traps...but they don't have that option for me to choose or Iwwould.

I like choosing classes that can do traps so you don't "need" a rogue.

I'm making you an invulnerable rager barbarian, and likely a bard that can open trapped doors and maybe an alchemist or witch for my three ruki.

There's a GREAT alchemist that is a crypt breaker...fights undead and opens traps...but they don't have that option for me to choose or Iwwould.

I like choosing classes that can do traps so you don't "need" a rogue.

I also made a witch, making her a healer in the non-zombie game (because, really, you need a cleric for the undead).

But open to anything not too complex!

And invulnerable rager? Do tell...

Also, for the fighter, I decided to drop the AC from 28 to 22 or 24. Still high, but more beatable.

The rager basically doubles up on damage resistance but loses anti flank.

Has fire resistance too.

Im playing a witch healer in another game, but this one was going to be more of a buffer.

But i can make an oracle of life for you to show you an alternative to cleric.

Did anyone ever play/read the Lone Wolf series of gamebooks? For those who don't know, it's basically single player D&D-ish gameplay (although significantly more limited) meets choose your own adventure book. I've been playing the free-release of them online lately and quite digging it.

Found another psuedo-PNP game called Sryth, which actually is pretty sweet. Very open ended with dungeon crawls and random encounters by exploration. Sadly it doesn't seem like you can form a group in the game. Luckily the rogue I rolled is more than capable of holding her own in battle.

So I'm planning on introducing a friend to D&D with a one-shot based on Shadows over Innsmouth... basically a seemingly normal sleepy town that's actually controlled by a sinister cult of half-human half-...something abomination-y. Problem is I'm not sure what route to go with it. I'm thinking either using nerfed Yuan-Ti or maybe some tieflings. Any suggestions?

It should be a Brain in a Jar. Always Brain in a Jar.

Isn't there a Libris Mortis monster that's literally a brain in a jar? That'd be a good Not The Boss maybe.

So I'm planning on introducing a friend to D&D with a one-shot based on Shadows over Innsmouth... basically a seemingly normal sleepy town that's actually controlled by a sinister cult of half-human half-...something abomination-y. Problem is I'm not sure what route to go with it. I'm thinking either using nerfed Yuan-Ti or maybe some tieflings. Any suggestions?

Kuo-toa, since they're now pretty much the D&D version of the creatures from Shadows Over Innsmouth.

Kuo-toa, since they're now pretty much the D&D version of the creatures from Shadows Over Innsmouth.

I considered that.... is there a half-kuo-toa template that you know of? Or would I have probably have to homebrew it?