Kaiju

probablyoliver

Have we got any Kaiju fans on EWB? I'm wanting to get into a little more but not too sure on where to start. I know I've seen the original Godzilla film and Godzilla vs Mothra before but wondering if any of the more recent stuff is worth checking out? I'm told the Gamera trilogy is really good but the amount of films that Toho churns out makes getting into things quite a daunting task.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Kaiju films on here so I'm not sure we've even got any fans who could help but yeah, I wanna watch more and I figure EWB is always a pretty good place to find out about nerdy shit. >_>

You might be interested to know that the EWB film club thing, if current voting is anything to go by, will be watching The Host soon! From the little clips I've seen, it's not quite the spectacle that something like Godzilla is but it's something.

I'm not super into Kaiju, but I do love Godzilla a whole bunch. Destroy All Monsters is a solid one to go with if you just want to jump into what is probably one of the best Godzilla films. Anything with Mecha Godzilla or King Ghidorah is generally pretty bitchin' as well. I also particularly enjoyed Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Destroyah, but really, it's all pretty awesome once you get into it.

Gamera is fun. The earlier movies are sort of "meh" but their fun in a campy sort of way. The 90's trilogy is miles better IMO though.

There is some other Toho stuff I enjoyed. War of the Gargantuas & Frankenstein Conquers The World are entertaining. Mothra has a pretty decent 90's trilogy of movies as well, but they are meant for children and I don't know if that'll annoy or not.

I'd recommend Pacific Rim as well if you haven't seen it. Giant Robots vs. Giant Monsters. 'nough said.