TEW2013: Real World Update: October 2013

I'm not actually using cpts data at the moment (i'm building my own), so not sure what all of his settings are... but if it's correct that none of those promotions in the current data are set to be touring then, yes, they should most definitely be.

As i'm sure you're aware the purpose of worker loyalty and touring features in TEW are specifically to simulate the Japanese region; every promotion in Japan with the exception of the smallest (specifically Joshi promotions like you mentioned, or LLPW-X; or OPW which like you said run weekly instead), should be set to be touring.

As you stated the game doesn't simulate this perfectly as in real-life a tour run by NJPW (national) consists of much more shows per month(s) than a tour say by a regional promotion like Z1; but there is simply no better or more realistic option than setting them up to run on a touring schedule, as this is how they are supposed to run in-game (for which the game mechanics were created!), and this is the closest possible (however imperfect the game implements the variety of touring styles) to how the majority of promotions in the region run in the real world.

That said, I also agree about Shimmer, and although I've never head of C*4 I know they're not a Japanese company, and as such neither they or Shimmer would be touring since this feature, like worker loyalty, is designed only to be implemented within Japan, period.

By setting up the majority of promotions as touring companies it would also make the inclusion of recently used gaijin in the data (such as the suggestions for BJW above) less of an issue, as in the game-world these contracts would run their course in a matter of months and then from that point on the AI would sign new (or the same) gaijin at their discretion. This would mean including current gaijin in the data would make it very up-to-date without having the problem of Jake Crist appearing perpetually for BJW when in real-life he would be gone in a month or two, as he is based in the USA.

Edited by snakesonaplane

That said, I also agree about Shimmer, and although I've never head of C*4 I know they're not a Japanese company, and as such neither they or Shimmer would be touring since this feature, like worker loyalty, is designed only to be implemented within Japan, period.

The only exception I'd make to the rule about all touring promotions being in Japan would be All-Star Wrestling in the UK, as they do tour, though less in a Japanese-style where they build to a larger show but rather a continuation of the old British holiday camps.

Good suggestion with the Shimmer events btw, I missed that. That would fit really well, and considering the volume of shows they actually hold, it's a lot more true to life. Just on their schedule, I don't really consider their tapings as multiple shows, TEW doesn't really allow that, so really if you want to play Shimmer you could sim holding multiple 'events' within a single show day (like in real-life), whilst having the game settings at once a month like you suggest. Either way I agree it makes more sense to set them as a regular schedule rather than touring, 44 shows is like more shows than Shimmer has held in their entire existence!

I don't know anything about the UK scene so i'm not really in a place to offer much of value, but can you think of any other way their schedule could be simulated without setting them to be a touring company?

Edited by snakesonaplane

I get the fact that touring is designed for the Japanese styled promotions but most if not all run shows all year round meaning the game mechanics cannot reflect reality. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but a touring contract means that they exclusively work for that promotion while the tour is on so for example while New Japan is on tour CMLL cannot bring in Tanahashi for their shows (I may be wrong on this).

And it's all well and good saying these promotions should be set to touring but you regretted to mention touring for which months, I know for a fact Japan isnt one of cpt.charisma's strongest areas so by just saying change to touring isnt really helping.

I get the fact that touring is designed for the Japanese styled promotions but most if not all run shows all year round meaning the game mechanics cannot reflect reality.

Well yes, no matter what the game will not completely accurately reflect reality. Rather than be an exact replica of reality, we should try to make it as close to reality as possible. Right now, promotions like New Japan are run more like the WWE -- multiple televised shows per week rather than their actual "Road to ________" series of shows that lead to a big show at the end of the tour with the tv being used to recap.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but a touring contract means that they exclusively work for that promotion while the tour is on so for example while New Japan is on tour CMLL cannot bring in Tanahashi for their shows (I may be wrong on this).

Which makes sense. Let's say that you're an American worker being brought over to Japan. Are you going to be able to take bookings while you're on tour? You're not exactly going to fly over to Japan, fly back in the middle of the tour to work a show in America, then fly back to Japan to finish up the tour.

And it's all well and good saying these promotions should be set to touring but you regretted to mention touring for which months, I know for a fact Japan isnt one of cpt.charisma's strongest areas so by just saying change to touring isnt really helping.

Because I know that just because I say something should be this way doesn't mean everyone feels that way. I didn't go through and add which months I think the companies should take off because I wanted to have the debate about whether to implement the changes or not before wasting my time and figuring out when each promotion either has no shows or, in the case of the promotions that tour year-round, have less shows.

Another change I've been thinking about -- is there any way to edit the television companies to make them less likely to take on wrestling shows? It's ridiculous how many indy companies get national or even international (thanks to tv companies like YouTube) tv deals. I'm not even sure we should have free internet tv companies like YouTube when there's an option to release your shows for free online anyway.

In reply to TheWho87,

Yes, I agree the game can't simulate real-life perfectly for that and a few other reasons... from a mechanics point of view I think it's because if a company could tour 12 months a year it might actually be a bit OP, and break the game balance... as it is a touring schedule is already superior to regular schedule (from a game point of view) in a few ways, like recent fortunes being reset, more matches meaning more experience, stat gains etc.

It's not perfect, but touring schedules are designed for Japan and to not implement them for minor inconsistencies, whilst overlooking the greater inconsistency of say NJPW in this example, running on a regular schedule and thus only 12 shows a year makes the choice, for me, a straight-forward one. It's not ideal by any means, but there is no better option.

As for the Tanahashi example, it is possible (I just tested it as I wasn't sure!) for CMLL to book Tanahashi in the middle of a tour on a show if they have a working agreement and the date does not clash with a tour date, which is exactly how it works in real-life, so that's actually quite doable and realistic.

As for what months should be set to be touring months, as it can't be 12 months I personally find what months are selected to not be of much significance, as in real-life there is no down time, any period of down-time chosen in the game for these promotions would be an arbitrary decision up to the mod maker. I think as long as the promotions are set to run as much as game allows (10 months of the year), and all the major significant events are set in the data (like Wrestle Kingdom etc.), what months the tours take place in aren't important.

Edited by snakesonaplane

There is always a compromise between reality and game mechanics, if there is a way to work the mechanics with reality I'm all for it. Also testing the touring mechanics in one of my other databases, touring contracts are only for non-native talent, native talents tend to be under regular contracts, so my example of Tanahashi would mean he would be under open contract with New Japan and could be signed by anybody as long as it doesnt clash with his New Japan commitments. Also you cannot negotiate with anyone currently on tour (I have TEW10 so any change in the touring system between version I cant comment on).

I'd agree with All Star having touring set up, I'd give them February, April, June, August, October, December with 2-3 shows a week.

There is always a compromise between reality and game mechanics, if there is a way to work the mechanics with reality I'm all for it. Also testing the touring mechanics in one of my other databases, touring contracts are only for non-native talent, native talents tend to be under regular contracts, so my example of Tanahashi would mean he would be under open contract with New Japan and could be signed by anybody as long as it doesnt clash with his New Japan commitments. Also you cannot negotiate with anyone currently on tour (I have TEW10 so any change in the touring system between version I cant comment on).

I'd agree with All Star having touring set up, I'd give them February, April, June, August, October, December with 2-3 shows a week.

That's changed in TEW13. You can negotiate with people who have touring contracts, now.

I'm not sure where you're going with this though, are you making the argument for keeping Japanese promotions on a regular schedule or just raising logistical issues that should be addressed if the schedule is changed? If it's the former I don't understand why, as the touring mechanics are designed to be used in Japan, not using it there doesn't make any sense - it's why it exists in the game at all; not to mention its a more accurate simulation of the region etc.

As for the rules of touring promotions and so forth, there are some significant differences between TEW 10 and TEW 13 - as such none of the issues you raise are present, in TEW 13 Japanese touring companies can offer touring contracts to Japanese (i.e. native) workers [just tested it], and as the poster above stated negotiating with workers on touring contracts isn't a problem either... though I don't think if either of those were not the case it would be a good reason to keep a regular schedule either.

If NJPW was to be simmed correctly they would be a national promotion and all workers (including Tanahashi) with a few exceptions would be on written, not open contracts, set to expire in January 2015 (as NJPW, and some other puro promotions [AJPW?] utilise 1-year contracts that are reviewed annually). I believe Okada's contract is multi-year (3 years), and regular outsiders like Tanaka or Kota Ibushi, would be on open contracts with loyalty to their home-bases, Z1 and DDT respectively. So the majority of NJPW workers should be on written contracts, and should not be open to be signed by anyone as in real life this is not the case. Outside appearances could be managed with working agreements, as they would be in real-life if other promotions wanted to use NJPW guys. Most of the workers, including Tanahashi, should also have loyalty set to NJPW.

Edited by snakesonaplane

- Rename Melodi (the English one) to Sammi Baynz

Also just to clear things up my view point has always been to try and best recreate reality in the game engine, I tend to favor reality more than the engine plus I've never liked the touring system since 05 and since this database comes from our colab 05 thats been inherited. The main reason I tested and commented about the TEW10 workings was gifted a copy when someone upgraded so I've been trying to assist in what ever way possible (mostly due to cpt.charisma raiding my database lol.

• Like 1

Having a working agreement and talent trades gets around the "can't negotiate with someone under a touring contract" issue, and that's exactly how it should work.