Papers, Please

Benji

I've watches some let's plays of this. Is it weird that I sympathize with Jorji? I know he is contrabanding drugs and all that, but his perseverance and his friendly demeanor (I don't think I've ever heard of a drug smuggler that got caught and then tells the costums inspector that cought him that he does a good job) and the fact that

he helps you out in the end if you choose to worke with EZIC and gives you money no matter if you let him through or not

make him such a funny character.

I absolutely love this game. It's everything I love about indie gaming; self-consciously "retro" graphics, but so completely new and fresh in style and gameplay. It's simple, but it's genuinely compelling. I love it lots.

Just finished the first time:

Got four passports to successfully get my son, wife and niece into Orbistan. The wait at the immigration desk whilst my crappy documents were being reviewed was so tense.

And then I played the last day again and...

Didn't run away, just let myself get evaluated. Apparently I helped one EZIC member and that's enough for me to get the death penalty.

Also, quick question for anyone playing - is there an actual time limit on the day, or is it just a case of a seeing a certain number of people and the day ends?

Thats sort of the point of the game. ;) How carefull do you do your job, how do you keep your familey feed at the same time.

Also, quick question for anyone playing - is there an actual time limit on the day, or is it just a case of a seeing a certain number of people and the day ends?

Thats sort of the point of the game. ;) How carefull do you do your job, how do you keep your familey feed at the same time.

I figured as much, it just seemed weird because I always seemed to get to 10 and the day would end :)

If people like this game they should try a game called Cart Life, which has a similar idea of taking a 'mundane' job as the core of the game but basing a lot of factors and tough decisions around that core. I didn't enjoy it as much as Papers, Please (which is such an incredible success story for Lucas, considering he started making the game in November 2012), but it continues this awesome trend of job simulation game that's been cropping up over the past year or so.