MLB 14: The Show

Maxx

OMFG THAT WAS SO COOL.

Just finished a game at Rogers Centre, and the announcer was giving advice for transit—and he, like, legit used street names and subway stops in Toronto. That was so fucking incredible.

Also, the game got out of hand, and had to be stopped for a minute to deal with a beach ball in left field. The game cut away from me pitching to Joey Bats dealing with the ball. Little details are so god-damned cool.

• Like 3

OMFG THAT WAS SO COOL.

Just finished a game at Rogers Centre, and the announcer was giving advice for transit—and he, like, legit used street names and subway stops in Toronto. That was so fucking incredible.

Also, the game got out of hand, and had to be stopped for a minute to deal with a beach ball in left field. The game cut away from me pitching to Joey Bats dealing with the ball. Little details are so god-damned cool.

Yeah being from the GTA I noticed that during my season with the Jays, remarkable little addition. The Show really is the most realistic sports game out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

RTTS, I got drafted as an Indian, worked my way up to being a PH at best so asked for a transfer. Ended up at the Royals in the same position. Both teams were good, but I wanted a starting position so again asked for a transfer. My 3B is 83 rated even if I am shit. The next best batter at my new team is a 76. GUESS WHO I AM PLAYING WITH NOW!

Took the Jays to the Wildcard game in my first season, but lost to the Royals 2-1. Just couldn't get the bats going, despite a good performance from Drew Hutchison. Struck out 8 in 7 innings, allowing only one hit and walking two. It was such a bummer to lose that game.

Did a bit of re-tooling in the off-season. Lost Cabrera to free agency, but replaced him with Lind in left field and brought in AJ Pierzynski to platoon with Navarro behind the plate and to DH. Most of my team is the same, aside from my bullpen which got a bit of a makeover. I pulled Tim Collins from the rule 5 draft and he's been lights out to start the year, but Luke Hochevar (who I got for some D rated nothing prospect) struggled before getting injured for two months.

My team is struggling to start season 2, and I can't put my finger on why quite yet. Might just be slow out of the gate, but if it doesn't pick up soon, I may have to do something drastic to change my fortunes.

• Like 1

Okay. Been playing a RTTS as shortstop who got drafted by the Twins. Wasn't all that excited, but what the hell. Midway through July, I get called up because all of their infielders suck. I was just playing games and got off to a great start. I was not paying attention to the divison at all, but despite a terrible record (like 12 games under .500), we're 2.0 games back and in 4th place. What!?

I start to go into a little bit of a slump and come back to earth. Hitting around .270 but the rest of the team is picking it up, especially Mauer. Now it's the end of September and I'm about to head into one of the greatest series of all time. The Tigers are 74-84 and in first place in the Central. The Twins are 72-86 and in second place. We have a four game set. Shit's about to get real.

Game 1: I hit a home run in the top of the 1st and that's all we'd need. Mike "Freakin'" Pelfrey just threw a 3-hit shutout. Twins are a game back.

Game 2: First off, I have to face Marcus Stroman after the Jays traded him and Sanchez for Anibal Sanchez earlier in the year. He loads the bases in the 3rd with no outs. Willingham grounds into a double play but we get a run. Hicks drives in another one in the 4th to make it 2-0 Twins. Trevor May, our starter, almost gives up some runs in the 6th as he walks V-Mart and then Avila misses a HR by inches, getting a hard-hit single for his efforts. May has thrown over 100 pitches to this point but hasn't give up a run. He walks the lead off man in the 7th, strikes out the next guy, then gives up another walk. May's out, Casey Fien is in. Our backup catcher, Chris Herrmann can also play left field and he's out there. He guns home the runner at home to end the 7th. Heading into the 9th, Phil Coke has pitched 3 innings and hasn't given up a hit. He sits us down 1-2-3. Last chance time for the Tigers. Glen Perkins is in. SS Alex Gonzalez lays down a bunt, but he's out. Castellanos grounds out to third. Brian Dozier makes a spectacular diving backwards catch to end the game. The Tigers and the Twins are tied for 1st in the Central with two games left to play. Just checked and the White Sox are there too. If we split the last two with the Tigers and the White Sox take both their games against KC, then they'll take it.

Game 3: I sit out game 3, so I don't get to see it, but we beat Verlander. Time to head to the last game of the season.

Game 4: We're taking on Scherzer, who hasn't been the best this season. We've got Phil Hughes on the mound. Last time I faced him I went 0-3. Home run to RF after Nunez popped out. 1-0, Twins. Hughes gives up a HR to Jose Iglaseas in the 4th. 1-1. Then a throwing error puts a man on second and a hard hit ball plates that runner. 2-1 Tigers. Dirks misses a diving catch putting Max Kepler on third. Nunez then bats him in when he grounds out to second. Plouffe hits a HR to put us up 3-2 in the 6th. I hit another HR in the 8th and we're up 4-2. Perkins saves the game and we're going to the post season! With a 76-86 record!