The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

So, what's the word on the biggest story of the day, Micah Richard to Fiorentina? All sign, sealed delivered and a done deal? I know you're all obsessed with Man U as ever but it's important to keep up to date with this one since he will be England captain because of it. Woy's got to promote anyone who's going abroad to play.

He's in Fiorentina for his medical.

Good post, Kaney!

Nerf calling Falcao to United ridiculous got to me because if he was signing for Liverpool today, he'd find a way to be ecstatic about it.

Why would his response to Falcao signing for Liverpool need to be proportional or relative to his response to Falcao signing for Man U though?

Liverpool have a balanced team, Falcao would be a cherry on top.

I think it's pretty obvious now to everyone here, as it was consensus yesterday when Falcao was still in Monaco, or the day before, or the day before that, for Man U fans and neutrals alike, that what they needed desperately were quality midfielders (a holding midfielder especially), and quality defenders; even moreso if the 3-5-2 formation is going to be a thing.

The fact that they've replaced Hernandez (and possibly Welbeck) with Falcao is obviously a huge upgrade, but from another POV they are also thinning their squad by two young non-injury prone players, with a crazy waged injury prone much older player, to go alongside their other injury prone ageing front line. It's not 'bad' business by any means, he is a world class talent, but it is actually a larger risk than many seem to be willing to admit.

Every Man U fan was screaming prior to deadline, the middle and the back need a serious overhaul. Signing Falcao doesn't magically fix that, that's all Nerf was saying, which is in actuality, logical and reasonable, if nevertheless stated by nerf.

Now if they go and sign a quality holding player and get rid of some of their defenders then this team would be serious contenders.

• Like 1

• Admin
Sunderland have announced that French defender Modibo Diakite has left the club by mutual consent. The 27-year-old moved to the Stadium of Light from Lazio last summer on a free transfer, and spent the second half of last season back in Serie A with Fiorentina.

• Admin

:lol: one lonely git outside Upton Park behind the reporter.

Crystal Palace are close to completing the signing of Wigan midfielder James McArthur. It was thought Palace would pay a club-record £7m, but Eagles sources claim the actual figure will be in the region of £5m. The 26-year-old Scotland international is having a medical and discussing personal terms at the club's Beckenham training ground. Palace are also in the market for a striker and defender - Tottenham left-back Zeki Fryers has been linked. A number of players are likely to leave Selhurst Park before the 11pm deadline.
  • Like 1

New signings looking "very unlikely" at the Emirates.

I'll be very worried if we didn't bring in a CB/DM by the end of the day. We only have 6 senior defenders in the squad. I fear this season (league wise), will be another battle for 4th.

Whilst I don't think signing a striker is imperative, I do think signing a player like Bony will do nothing but improve our chances over the next few months least. The way we play isn't suited for a Walcott or a Sanchez to play on their own. We need a physical presence up top to bring the others in to play.

I'd also be baffled if we let Joel Campbell leave after Wenger constantly talking him up throughout the summer as a real option for us, which he clearly isn't by the looks of things.

I've not gone in to full pessimist mode yet, but I worry when injuries (inevitably) start taking their toll again.

• Admin
Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is not ruling out a deadline-day move away from Stamford Bridge, after being deposed by Thibaut Courtois. He told the Czech media: "The offer would have to be right for everyone. I do not exclude anything (or) know the answer."

Falcao on loan is a good signing but there are more important areas that need strengthening such as the midfield and defence, unless Man U are getting one or two more players in as well today

• Admin

I miss Georgie :(

Leicester have made a bid for Manchester United's 20-year-old forward Tom Lawrence. The Wales Under 21 international has previously been out on loan with Carlisle United and Yeovil Town before making his Premier League debut in a 3-1 over Hull City when Ryan Giggs was in charge as interim manager at Old Trafford.