STUDIO GHIBLI (does not) ANNOUNCE CLOSURE

Herr Matzat

http://oh-totoro.com/post/93700803450/studio-ghibli-announces-closure-toshio-suzuki

STUDIO GHIBLI ANNOUNCES CLOSURE

Toshio Suzuki has announced the closure of Studio Ghibli. Here’s a translated version of the news article:

"Just moments ago, Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer, announced on the TV show of the MBS Jounetsu Tairiku chain effectively as announced as sources close to the studio, Studio Ghibli will close and production studio anime, leaving himself only as a company that will manage its trademarks. As stated in the program’s producer, "the production department of anime will be dismantled," which coincides with the data that we gave in our previous post on this decision had been taken from spring after the poor reception at the box office of Kaguya-hime no Monogatari.

In the interview, Suzuki has also admitted that it was a major setback for the study progress Hayao Miyazaki, one of the reasons already unveiled the portal Rakuten Woman. Once we have access to the full TV interview, adding more data. No doubt that this is a very sad news for Japanese animation, of which we are all fans, because it is undeniable everything Studio Ghibli has given the anime. Please remember that what will be his last film, Omoide no Marnie, premiered at the Japanese box office on 19 July.”

large.gif

Edit, moah.

After rumours suggesting that When Marnie Was There was likely to be the final film from Studio Ghibli, general manager Toshio Suzuki has now confirmed that the famed Japanese animation company will be closing its doors as a production company and will instead focus on managing the trademarks of its back-catalogue.

Co-founded by Hayao Miyazaki (who retired from filmmaker last year) and Isao Takahata alongside Suzuki, Studio Ghibli has earned a reputation as the “Japanese Walt Disney”, releasing such classic anime films as Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo and The Wind Rises.

When Marnie Was There was released in Japan last month, and has so far made around $3.5 million at the box office. Ghibli’s previous film The Tale of Princess Kaguya grossed around $48 million, which the studio considered to be a flop.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/08/studio-ghibli-closes-doors.html

Edited by Herr Matzat

Yeah writing's been on the wall for a number of years. They never reinvested their money and failed to adapt to a changing industry. They've been bleeding money from non-Miyazaki projects for years.

Disney not buying them was, unfortunately, pruden on their part.

With Miyazaki retiring it's about time they go out on a relatively high note.

I was at work when the first bits of news came out and I was devastated. Studio Ghibli means so much to me. It is probably bigger to me than wrestling which is insane. Miyazaki retiring was heart breaking, but Ghibli closing would have been the proverbial nail.

It was a rollercoaster of emotion when I heard they likely weren't closing.

Even restructuring and reassessing what they're doing in the future is kind of sad, but I think we all knew it would never quite be the same without Miyazaki.

Similarly to LUKIE, Ghibli is something that means an awful lot to me, and as I said before, the world would genuinely be a worse place without Ghibli in it, and I can't honestly say that about any other studio. To me, Ghibli are everything that Disney tries to convince kids they are.

It's about time we do another Ghibli discussion/watchalong/whatever thread, and I think this could maybe become one.

I re-watched Porco Rosso recently for the first time in years and bloody loved it all over again.