Serial/Making a Murderer

Maxx

6 hours ago, apsham said:

They're not even going off the fingerprint honestly - just a few scars, my god.

Glad to hear about the Brendan thing however. I saw that as the real take away from the documentary anyways - he was way more of a victim than Avery.

Reading the decision, makes Brendan's involvement all the more improbable. The police's theory is that Brendan basically walked in on Avery raping and murdering someone and Avery's reaction was not to get Brendan to leave and have no witnesses to his horrible crimes, but invites him and encourages him to get in on and the raping and murdering, while taking breaks to watch TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.htrnews.com/story/news/local/steven-avery/2016/11/17/appeals-court-dassey-remain-prison/94023614/

PORTAGE - Brendan Dassey will remain in prison while prosecutors appeal a lower court's decision to overturn his conviction, the Chicago-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit ruled Thursday.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Wisconsin Department of Justice filed an "emergency motion" with the Seventh Circuit, requesting that the court stay a lower court's order to release Dassey from custody by 8 p.m. on Friday. Dassey's attorneys filed a response arguing against a stay.

The federal appeals court granted the state's request.

Dassey's attorneys published a statement saying, "The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that Brendan Dassey must stay in prison until his appeal is resolved. We are disappointed more than words can say. The fight goes on."

• 6 months later...

http://www.avclub.com/article/making-murderer-has-new-murder-suspect-256505

Dean Strang and Jerome Buting, about a year ago, they thought that Dassey had a much better chance at freedom than Avery did, but today, Steven Avery’s attorney has dropped a 1,272-page bomb in the form of a post-conviction notice—one that effectively points a finger at Teresa Halbach’s ex-boyfriend as a suspect in her murder.

Avery is serving a life sentence for the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach in 2005. Avery’s nephew, Brendan Dassey, was convicted in a separate trial for his role in the murder. He had confessed to helping his uncle rape and murder Halbach, and the circumstances of his police interrogation have been the subject of both legal and internet interest.

Avery’s current attorney, Katherine Zellner, has a long history of righting wrongful convictions (according to her website, she’s righted more than any private attorney in America). According to the Manitowoc, Wisconsin ABC affiliate, her argument comes down to five points, including ineffective counsel from Strang and Buting, who she claims did not put expert witnesses on the stand to talk about DNA and blood spatter evidence, and ethical violations by prosecutor Ken Kratz. (You can read about those points in more detail on the WBAY website.)

In the document, Zellner effectively—though not explicitly—accuses Halbach’s ex-boyfriend of her murder, saying only that he was never eliminated as a suspect, and that Avery’s jury never heard evidence on him:

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, TCO said:

I watched the first two episodes and nothing has changed my opinion that he's 100% guilty although shouldn't have been convicted.

The documentary seems very biased too.

After Serial my conclusion was that even if he was guilty, he didn't get a fair trial and shouldn't be in jail.

But see that they've now finally run DNA tests and none of the samples they collected from the body matched Syed makes a pretty compelling case for his innocence.  The fact that Jay has once again changed his story adds to it.  The idea of him being guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is getting destroyed, that's for sure.

Its funny, I watched that with Joey and we both came away with very different impressions.  Neither of us had any prior knowledge of the case. 

Joey came away thinking that Adnan was definitely guilty and that Jay's story added up when you took into account that he was selling a lot of weed at the time and so, of course his story changed over time -- at first he was trying to hide that from the cops, but when it became clear they didn't care about that in wake of a murder he complied.

On the other hand, I took that same information and went, 'yup, I could totally see the cops, especially Baltimore police, using the weed charges as a way of blackmailing Jay into testifying exactly how they wanted him to."  The bit from his interview where the cops go like 'so where did you two bury her?'  'On the side of the road.'  'The side of the road where the big white barriers are?'  'Yeah, exactly, where the barriers are' sounded like he was being fed information.  

Either way, quite enjoyed the docu-series; I didn't realize just how close I lived to all that!  The crimes took place in Woodlawn, and when I was college I lived right on the line between Catonsville and Woodlawn, a couple miles from the edge of Leakin Park where Hae's body was found.

The biggest take for me with Baltimore and Jay's story was that they stuffed up part of the phone tower evidence (the whole phone tower thing was a joke anyway) and put one of the calls near the completely wrong phone tower and then had Jay's story match that completely wrong phone tower.

Jay's story was completely made up. None of that happened.

I don't know. Given that none of the forensic data collected in the car was ever looked into, it could have easily been someone else.

And the only evidence they have is Jay's story, and they have pretty much proven that it is a lie.

11 hours ago, TCO said:

If you follow the theory that Jay is lying and Adnan is innocent then who killed her and what was the motive?

I just don't see anybody else being the perpetrator after seeing the evidence.

The creeper 20-something who was dating the teenage Hae who Hae reportedly was going to see that night and whose alibi for the night in question comes from his mom?

Random violence?

Crooked ass Baltimore pigs?

The dude who found the body?

I don't get the idea that Adnan is the only choice here.

• 3 years later...