The E-Sports Thread

Krone

Classic sc2 moment.

The good old days when Artosis and Tasteless gave a fuck about Starcraft rather than Heroes of the Salt

It´s hard to tell. HOTS might become a decent e-sports title someday, it´s only being casted right nowbecause blizzard gotz ze munnyz. The game feels very much like a beta with a new hero every week and the matchmaking so horrendus that they are still calling their ranked preseason and just reset the entire system and ranking (like i said, just like a beta).
But to me SC just feels like a more watchebell e-sport. I know many people feel different and thats fine with me - but LoL for example i could never get into as much as SC broadcasts. Even now were i pretty much never play SC2 anymore i can still watch the important games and enjoy them.

FPS games confuse the fuck out of me. A frind tried to show me some CS pro game a few weeks ago and it was very apperent that i never play FPS games. I had no idea were i was, what teams perspective i was in ect. - it´s very alianating to non players like that. This will often stay ae-sports problem, people need to know your game. If roberto carlos bends a ball against the laws of physics everyone, even someone who dos not care about football, knows something special just happend. It´s still a long way.

So this inspired me to look up eSports ladders on Gamebattles, and there are people that play WWE 2K15 competitively. I do not envy said people.

Hope they regulate things or that'll be nothing but glitched out finishes that freeze people and running grapple spam. With that out it'll just be two hours of kicking out of pins back and forth til one blinks and misses the bar.

Classic sc2 moment.

The good old days when Artosis and Tasteless gave a fuck about Starcraft rather than Heroes of the Salt

It´s hard to tell. HOTS might become a decent e-sports title someday, it´s only being casted right nowbecause blizzard gotz ze munnyz. The game feels very much like a beta with a new hero every week and the matchmaking so horrendus that they are still calling their ranked preseason and just reset the entire system and ranking (like i said, just like a beta).
But to me SC just feels like a more watchebell e-sport. I know many people feel different and thats fine with me - but LoL for example i could never get into as much as SC broadcasts. Even now were i pretty much never play SC2 anymore i can still watch the important games and enjoy them.

FPS games confuse the fuck out of me. A frind tried to show me some CS pro game a few weeks ago and it was very apperent that i never play FPS games. I had no idea were i was, what teams perspective i was in ect. - it´s very alianating to non players like that. This will often stay ae-sports problem, people need to know your game. If roberto carlos bends a ball against the laws of physics everyone, even someone who dos not care about football, knows something special just happend. It´s still a long way.

Classic sc2 moment.

Same really. I only ever watch SC and mostly just the Korean games cause they're the best at it. I tried to get in LoL and DOTA but since I don't really play MOBA's (Well besides Heroes of the Salt) I just can't follow it, there's only one caster in DoTA I can watch, Tobiwan. 

I have playlists and everything

What's the longevity on this kind of career? I'm just thinking I might be the best Call of Duty player ever but if the next game changes (yeah right) a lot I might not be anywhere near as good. I think that's where I get lost, is video gaming an e-sport or are the individual games e-sports?

Also, sport maybe, but I genuinely can't get my head around the idea of it as a spectator sport, literally everything you're seeing is happening within the constraints of what's been programmed years earlier.

Also, sport maybe, but I genuinely can't get my head around the idea of it as a spectator sport, literally everything you're seeing is happening within the constraints of what's been programmed years earlier.

I don't get that bit? What happens in each individual game is unique, I guess the analogy is that all sports have a rule-set which has been programmed years earlier. It isn't like the rules in sport often change, it's that either you'll find a player that does things better than anyone else. Or a coach/manager comes along with a new theory on how best to exploit these rules and creates a new style of play that gets picked up. I don't really get how that's too different to a video game. Most of the proper ones that are played at a competitive level are regularly balanced and patched so if there is an exploit that is found and unintended it's removed.

Unless you mean the games look old or aren't well optimised for spectators. The spectator bit I agree with 100%. I think devs for a lot of these games could create a spectator mode that gives a better view of the overall game. It isn't an issue for stuff like sports or fighting games but stuff like FPS, RTS and MOBAs could definitely be presented in a way that's much easier to follow for people new to the genre (rather than flitting between the different player's perspectives).

What's the longevity on this kind of career? I'm just thinking I might be the best Call of Duty player ever but if the next game changes (yeah right) a lot I might not be anywhere near as good. I think that's where I get lost, is video gaming an e-sport or are the individual games e-sports?

It always depends on how popular the game is i guess. You could do totaly fine if no one cares, but with something as big as Starcraft the lack of reaction time in your brain will become a problem for most pros by the age of 24. Obviusly you can always come up with new builds and strategies, but as these games often are very reaction based you will become limited.

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/starcraft-esports-study-brains/

I think there are a bunch of a lot older players around in COD. As i don´t know the game well i don´t know why that is, to a degree i just assume it´s because esports are not as big here as they are in south korea . It´s like with soccer, they just filter and try to make a profit of the best players asap all over europe, africa and south america - that kind of elit filter is not around in most countrys for e-sports yet. It should be very hard to become a SC2 pro age 50 in korea. I can´t wait for someone to point me in the direction of the 50 year old SC2 pro i never heared of now. >_>

World Championship qualifiers for the "lesser regions" of League of Legends are on right now: http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames2

Australia's Chiefs Esports Club just defeated Bangkok Titans. About to start is the match between Japan's Detonation.FocusMe and tournament favourites Dark Passage out of Turkey.

Edited by Plubby

Totally sniggered at "Dark Passage".

The only issue I have with e-Sports is the fact that everyone is known by their in-game names. I can't take something seriously when the caster says; "And now we're going to hear from PsychoDuck...".

They are professionals. They want their game/field to be considered professional. Use your real names!

• Like 1

I flip back and forth on that issue. There are some that I really like, I think in-game names formed from real names are cool (Like Bjergsen from the player Soren Bjerg) but there are names like IWillDominate and Rekkles (pronounced reckless) that I think are kind of silly.

I flip back and forth on that issue. There are some that I really like, I think in-game names formed from real names are cool (Like Bjergsen from the player Soren Bjerg) but there are names like IWillDominate and Rekkles (pronounced reckless) that I think are kind of silly.

When they call him Dom though, I'm cool with that. Because it sounds not-stupid.

I for one and disappointed at the lack of names like xX-420xSt0ner69-Xx

• 1 month later...