Biggest upset ever?

Liam

Cardiff City vs. Leeds FA Cup 3rd Round 2002

Personally this is the biggest upset. As far as I can remember Leeds were top of the Premiership at that point and Cardiff were knocking about in League Two.

Next to that is probably this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wj_-RrqJk

Next 

That was the beginning of the end, from that day on everything  went tits up. I'd not even thought of that match.

Ireland beating England at the Cricket World Cup (Not a good example but let us all remember anyway)

Or how about Holland beating England at the Cricket World Cup?

If everyone and his Mum can be listed as beating England, surely it becomes less of a shock? :P

I, for one, was shocked when England beat Scotland at the Cricket World Cup.

I still argue that Douglas over Tyson wasn't as much of an upset as it was flat out showing that Tyson was overrated.

Absolutely not ... Tyson is vastly underrated for his skill due to his punching ability.

Before that fight Tyson was an absolute machine.  Youngest fighter EVER to win WBC, WBA, and IBF Championships (first ever to hold them all - also first ever to unify them).  First 19 fights were KOs, 12 in the first round.  He then took Spinks out in 91 seconds and erased any doubt as to who the best boxer was (Spinks was unbeaten at the time and never fought again).  The "revision" on history due to his outside issues and problems after coming back (although it is often overlooked how good he was in the first Holyfield fight, and the fact that he is on a shortlist of 6 fighters, including him, to have regained a Heavyweight Title after having lost it) tend to play down just how dominant and ridiculous he was up to the point that Douglas knocked him out.  Douglas was a journeyman that had put together two decisions against two to challengers to earn the fight ... Tyson had a very nice list of not only wins, but dominant wins against guys that were as good as it got at that time.

• Like 1

Cardiff City vs. Leeds FA Cup 3rd Round 2002

Personally this is the biggest upset. As far as I can remember Leeds were top of the Premiership at that point and Cardiff were knocking about in League Two.

Next to that is probably this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wj_-RrqJk

Next 

I know they had fallen far from this point by then, but I think the biggest FA Cup upset with Leeds on the losing side was a few years later, when Histon, a village team from the Conference, knocked them out 1-0 with the winning goal coming from a postman.

My favourite part of the Cardiff one is the quote attributed to O'Leary: "Our FA cup run begins and ends in Cardiff."

Obviously he had intended that to mean the final at the Millennium Stadium but accurate all the same.

I still argue that Douglas over Tyson wasn't as much of an upset as it was flat out showing that Tyson was overrated.

Absolutely not ... Tyson is vastly underrated for his skill due to his punching ability.

Before that fight Tyson was an absolute machine.  Youngest fighter EVER to win WBC, WBA, and IBF Championships (first ever to hold them all - also first ever to unify them).  First 19 fights were KOs, 12 in the first round.  He then took Spinks out in 91 seconds and erased any doubt as to who the best boxer was (Spinks was unbeaten at the time and never fought again).  The "revision" on history due to his outside issues and problems after coming back (although it is often overlooked how good he was in the first Holyfield fight, and the fact that he is on a shortlist of 6 fighters, including him, to have regained a Heavyweight Title after having lost it) tend to play down just how dominant and ridiculous he was up to the point that Douglas knocked him out.  Douglas was a journeyman that had put together two decisions against two to challengers to earn the fight ... Tyson had a very nice list of not only wins, but dominant wins against guys that were as good as it got at that time.

I won't argue that Tyson was great before he went to prison. I'm not sure if prison took something out of him, if boxing had changed while he was locked up, or both. But post-prison, Tyson was definitely overrated.

I've seen arguments that Tyson is one of the greatest boxers of all time, and I call bullshit. While I agree that his punching ability was underrated, I don't think he qualifies as one of the greatest boxers ever. At least not top 10 greatest, anyway. Because if he faced some of the greats who used strategy and footwork, he'd lose. Tyson vs. Ali, with both in their prime, would be an interesting fight. But I'd give it 5 to 6 rounds at most before Ali wore Tyson out and sent him kissing canvas. Tyson was a walking sledgehammer.

I'd dare say Matt Serra over Georges St-Pierre at least deserves a worthy shout. Even after retiring, GSP only has two losses in his MMA career - to Matt Hughes and Matt Serra. At the time of the fight, Serra was 9-4 with no notable wins and only received a title shot because he won TUF 4: Comeback season. 

• Like 1