TV/Film you didn't expect to like but did

Benji

5 hours ago, livid said:

The Vampire Diaries. I gave it a chance because it was being well-received at The AV Club but didn't quite expect it to crack my Top 10/15 of the year on more than one occasion.

Definitely this. I put it off as just a teen girl show but as I started watching it, I enjoyed it more and more each episode. I'm still working my way through it and hopefully it doesn't lose my interest.

7 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Avatar: The Last Airbender. From the looks of the few minutes of the show I've seen I thought it was just an attempt by a western studio to profit off of the popularity of Anime by ripping off some of their more popular tropes. A stupid show for kids created not to tell a compelling story but simply to sell merch. I decided that I was too old for it and skipped it during it's entire run. It was a combination of a friend of mine being really into Korra (the sequel show) and trying to get me interested into the show as well as the Nostalgia Critic bringing it up very often in his reviews that made me finally watch it. And I loved it. Each episode. As well as the sequel show (although I admit that it had a lot of problems).

Oh Avatar is so good. Not even kidding, TLA makes it into my top ten series ever easy. People who just dismiss it as a kids cartoon should really watch it. it probably has the single best character arc of anyone I've ever seen in...

Spoiler

Zuko

• Like 1

I'll echo the fact that I was surprised by how much I could love a movie like Pitch Perfect, considering I should hate everything about it.

I've never been into anime, I never hated it but it just didn't seem for me, but I was convinced to try Attack on Titan and really enjoyed it.  From there I discovered an insane love for Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.  Between those two and the original FMA, I haven't seriously watched any thing else and I really don't think I will find something to match up.

Finally, I decided to check out The Last Ship simply because Adam Baldwin was in it (I watched Castle because of Nathan Fillion and love it, so figured maybe this could be the same thing). I think the show is fantastic and really unique.

Edited by Azazel

The premise of iZombie made me side-eye it pretty hard even with Rob Thomas being involved in it, but I'm glad I looked past it. It's a very worthy Veronica Mars successor, and the scene set to "Der Kommissar" from the season 1 finale is one of the best scenes of the year.

• Like 1

I didn't think I'd like Arrow. I was expecting Smallville  2.0. I only watched it when it was added to Netflix and I was sick. Now it's my absolute favorite current TV show.