Books - epic fantasy series

HarshMillennium

Not sure if this belongs here but couldn't see anywhere else for it. 

I'm a big fan of books and in particular I enjoy epic fantasy novels as a genre. How about anyone else?

I've read many series and my favourite so far has been Malazan Book Of The Fallen by Steven Erikson. Anyone else like this series? I know you have to dedicate a good bit of time to get through it but I definately think it is worth it. Between how well it's written, character development, plot points and overall grittiness I believe it's easily one of the best series ever written.

Any other epic fantasy series that you would recommend?

2 hours ago, the evil oversans said:

We used to have a Wheel of Time thread on here somewhere. Pretty sure only me and like two other people posted in it though. <_<

I must not have been here when that thread was around. As soon as I saw this topic title, that was the series I was going to come in and recommend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

I must not have been here when that thread was around. As soon as I saw this topic title, that was the series I was going to come in and recommend. 

Yeah, I'm talking ages back - might have been when Robert Jordan was still alive actually. Certainly before the last book.

1 hour ago, Big Hairy Man Face said:

I've never read any of The Wheel of Time, but I've heard it gets a bit rubbish in the middle.

It has its ups and downs. <_<

• Like 1

Yeah for me, The Dragon Reborn is the absolute high point of the series (with The Shadow Rising a close second), the next few were good if not as good, then things slowed down during books 8-10, a lot was still be said but a lot less was actually happening in each book. Things picked up during the last stretch as Jordan brought the series into the end game before Sanderson finished it off.

Also, IIRC I think I started that Wheel of Time thread in the build up to A Memory of Light, so that I could re-read the series before it came out. Then I discovered Leigh Butler's re-read on Tor and just read that instead  

Actually The Fires of Heaven was probably my favourite in the series, although that's probably more my Asmodean fandom speaking than anything. It definitely gets good enough again at the end to be worth the effort, and I feel a lot of the sense of lull in the middle of the series can be attributed to the way a lot gets thrown at you in the early books and Jordan was basically forced to stop introducing new characters every other page and start doing something with the ones he already had. I think all of the books have at least one major plot high point, with the exception of Crossroads of Twilight.