Summer Transfer Window Thread 2016

Lineker

Sergi Canos, a young midfielder who has had one decent season at Brentford, is apparently worth £2.5million? Even with the pedigree from Barca and Liverpool, that isn't senior football so how is it the bargain that is being touted seemingly Raf?

That is a huge amount of money for a team of Bristol City's level too.

1 hour ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

If by that you mean Klopp caught the virus four years ago when he first sent scouts to watch Mane, then yeah. It's terminal.

Insider Nerf, busting out all the facts.

You should write a book.

2 minutes ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

Either that or, y'know, the reports of him being interested in Mane when he was in Austria.

Klopp was impressed by Mane when he scored twice as Southampton came from 2-0 down to beat Liverpool 3-2 at St Mary's on 20 March.

You'd think he'd know a bit about Mane's quality if he'd been actually that interested in him?

1 minute ago, James 'Kryten' Milner said:

You'd think he'd know a bit about Mane's quality if he'd been actually that interested in him?

You can have prior knowledge of a player and still be impressed when they tear you a new one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Twist said:

You can have prior knowledge of a player and still be impressed when they tear you a new one.

Oh, I agree. You can also send scouts to see all number of different countries, clubs, etc. I don't buy the fact that a Dortmund scout watched him four years ago means Klopp necessarily wanted him at that time. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

EDIT: To add to that, the wording and the inclusion of it in the newspaper report implies that this was noteworthy, rather than the act of a player that he was already coveting/had already coveted.

2 hours ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

If by that you mean Klopp caught the virus four years ago when he first sent scouts to watch Mane, then yeah. It's terminal.

If he's caught a virus he should see a doctor 

2 hours ago, James 'Kryten' Milner said:

Oh, I agree. You can also send scouts to see all number of different countries, clubs, etc. I don't buy the fact that a Dortmund scout watched him four years ago means Klopp necessarily wanted him at that time. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

EDIT: To add to that, the wording and the inclusion of it in the newspaper report implies that this was noteworthy, rather than the act of a player that he was already coveting/had already coveted.

I mean, so fuck? Even if he didn't want him then, he wants him now.

3 minutes ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

I mean, so fuck? Even if he didn't want him then, he wants him now.

Your post implied he was all up in his grill four years ago.

But he had him scouted and seemingly didn't like him.

Now he wants him.

That is contradictory to your original point.

5 minutes ago, James 'Kryten' Milner said:

Your post implied he was all up in his grill four years ago.

But he had him scouted and seemingly didn't like him.

Now he wants him.

That is contradictory to your original point.

No, Rafa indicated as if Klopp's suddenly been brainwashed by Southamptonpool, when that isn't the case.

The reports at the time were that Klopp liked him but didn't think he was ready for such a big move at that stage, but has been monitoring him and now apparently deems him ready. I don't understand why that's so difficult to believe, nor why anybody is particularly arsed. If Klopp wants him, which he obviously does, then I'm all for it.

3 minutes ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

No, Rafa indicated as if Klopp's suddenly been brainwashed by Southamptonpool, when that isn't the case.

The reports at the time were that Klopp liked him but didn't think he was ready for such a big move at that stage, but has been monitoring him and now apparently deems him ready. I don't understand why that's so difficult to believe, nor why anybody is particularly arsed. If Klopp wants him, which he obviously does, then I'm all for it.

He doesn't have enough vowels in his name for my liking.

4 minutes ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

No, but his G/A p90 last season trumped Coutinho, Eriksen, Rooney, Kane, Lamela and Martial, and comparable with Sanchez and Siva, so I'll forgo that particular defficiency.

Not that difficult when you are the main man (alright, they have Pelle to weigh in with some goals). A lot harder in a team where things get shared about - I mean, come on, you listed three players from Spurs.

Or when you list players who played solely in midfield/striker.

I'm not saying that Mané is going to be a bad player for Liverpool or that he is going to flop. It's pretty obvious that he has quality. But is he going to be a game-changer or does he have the upside? That's the big question. He will have good games, even excellent games, but Liverpool won't become a title-challenging/top 4 side with that kind of player.

Calling Mane 'phenomenal' for averaging 1 in 3 over two seasons is a load of bollocks when you've got Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez etc. averaging 1 in 1 or better over the past few seasons.

But no, Klopp sending scouts to watch him in Austria four years ago (when he was still playing in the French second division and got relegated no less) must make him a world beater

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, PentaNerf Jr. said:

I'm not sure what the point you're making is, but those kind of numbers from somebody playing predominantly as a winger are phenomenal.

My point is fairly bleeding obvious. You are comparing him to players in teams where the goals and assists are spread around equally amongst numerous players because they have numerous quality players. Saints have a good team, but only really Mane and Pelle weigh in offensively.

Also, you listed players who have dropped back into midfield (not expected to score as many) and players who are strikers only (less likely to assist). He has good stats for the role he plays.

I typed up a longer post, but my Kindle is playing up. Rafael is right though, in short.