No Man's Sky

Benji

4 hours ago, RPS said:

It is a great game to tune out, explore and to be chill out and relax too. If you are expecting a game of complicated game mechanisms that is deep and constantly game systems, the game is not for you .

I would honestly watch a Let's Play for an hour of the game and see if you enjoy what the  game is like. There is more to do now beyond that first hour, but it is pretty indicative of the game as a whole. 

Good idea. Watching a Let's Play is how I got hooked on Minecraft when it was new. I'll give this the same chance.

17 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Good idea. Watching a Let's Play is how I got hooked on Minecraft when it was new. I'll give this the same chance.

Really, if you watch 30 minutes, you get the entire game. Not much changes. If the awe of discovering new planets and creatures and getting to upgrade spaceships seems cool, buy it. 

57 minutes ago, RPS said:

Really, if you watch 30 minutes, you get the entire game. Not much changes. If the awe of discovering new planets and creatures and getting to upgrade spaceships seems cool, buy it. 

I did some watching. Man, this game is almost perfect but it's missing just a couple things it'd need to be enjoyable. A game like this is screaming for a colonization aspect but there's nothing beyond building your own base. And combat looks like it never changes  no matter what you've got in a fight with. I think this might be my second game with 2K being first.

• 7 months later...

Man I am so confused. I know I need to repair my ship but like" it doesn't tell me how to get those bits. Like I know you mine for minerals but none of what I need seem to be around and like one is something like a metal plate. Can I craft that or something? There are tips popping up but they're way too small to tell what button it's trying to tell me to press.

26 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Man I am so confused. I know I need to repair my ship but like" it doesn't tell me how to get those bits. Like I know you mine for minerals but none of what I need seem to be around and like one is something like a metal plate. Can I craft that or something? There are tips popping up but they're way too small to tell what button it's trying to tell me to press.

You can craft a metal plate with 40(?) Ferrite Dust, which can be found by mining rocks. Ferrite Dust is a common material, usually found in abundance on every planet. Some materials must be crafted by refining them - which is done by using a Refiner, which you have to craft from 1 Metal Plating and 30 Oxygen.

• Like 1

"You have learned the Gek word for abomination."

Oh wonderful. That's exactly the word I want to learn from a monolith on a ruined planet.

• Haha 2

Just now, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

So does the update now on PSN, is it worth buying the gsme for £15? I do love floating around and exploring it must be said but like to have some point to what I'm doing.

I'm basically in the same boat as Hammy. I'm willing to give it a go at some point, so might as well grab it while it's on a sale, but if I'm playing alone, is there much point to this aside from the exploration?

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

I'm basically in the same boat as Hammy. I'm willing to give it a go at some point, so might as well grab it while it's on a sale, but if I'm playing alone, is there much point to this aside from the exploration?

Base building is fun. Being able to upgrade your Starship and other elements of your persons is rewarding (I feel like it is). It is definitely a much more enjoyable experience playing with others, however playing solo is challenging but rewarding at the same time. It does take a little bit to get into and to actually be going places, but once you're off the spawning planet - it becomes a great overall experience; at least I have found it to be. 

DkDD3u3V4AEp5XM?format=jpg

"Beware! Abomination! Despair!" all on it's own paints a pretty clear picture.

13 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Exactly! I don't have the online pass though - do I need to be online?

No.

Though overall I'm enjoying it since the next update (hadn't played since launch) I'm still finding it frustrating to get enough units to buy anything worthwhile. Seeing all these better ships, guns and recruitable frigates but never being anywhere near close to being able afford them is annoying I suppose you need to grind to get units.

• 4 weeks later...

So it turns out that there's a very easy way to earn money now after all - if you find an abandoned building, you can mine the whispering eggs for a Larval Core. They sell for like 60,000 units each and you can get about 10-12 at one building.

All you have to do to avoid the "Biological Horrors" from attacking you is to stand on something - so if you build a signal booster or something similar (or even stand on one of the eggs), they can't attack you and you can grab the Cores really easy.