Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam

15 minutes ago, Liam said:

What did you think of Saga? I love it. 

Others that cross over are Where'd You Go, Bernadette? And My Sister Is A Serial Killer. I think we've already chatted about Snow Crash, haven't we?

Good effort on 80 books though, jesus. 

Here's mine - https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/16345820, which includes quite a lot of graphic novels that pad the numbers. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What did you think of Saga? I love it. 

Others that cross over are Where'd You Go, Bernadette? And My Sister Is A Serial Killer. I think we've already chatted about Snow Crash, haven't we?

Good effort on 80 books though, jesus. 

Here's mine - https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/16345820, which includes quite a lot of graphic novels that pad the numbers. 

What I read of Saga, I really enjoyed. Only so much of it available on Kindle Unlimited though so stopped at that.

My Sister Is A Serial Killer was enjoyable, as was ...Bernadette. Neither ground breaking, but definitely worth reading. And yeah, have already talked a bit about Snow Crash.

Kindred is a brilliant book.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ah, here's the thread!

In the last couple of months, I've read Prefidious Albion by Sam Byers, Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis, and Blood Music by Greg Bear. The latter book became increasingly difficult to read, what with the pandemic, but I recommend all three. I was surprised, or shouldn't have been surprised really, Ellis' book is essentially Fifty Shades of Grey'd Transformers - it's also an unadvertised start of a book series so only go in if you want to commit to other books.

I started The Circle by Dave Eggers too but put it down for now as the set-up seemed too similiar to Prefidious Albion. I'll pick it back up in a few months.

Now I'm reading The Long-Lost Autobiography of Georges Méliès curated by Jon Spira; and I might give Guy Evans' Nitro book about WCW another whirl as I found it in the loft after trying to find it for a year.

the last two years I read 41 (going 1 book over my goal) and 20 (meeting my goal) books, respectively. I set this year's goal at 20, and so far I've read 10. Due to too much going on in real life (a lot of it having to do with my father's health issues), I will be lucky if I read 12 to 15.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished The Shadow Friend by Alex North today, loved it. I don't do anywhere near enough reading these days but he's one of the few authors at the moment I'll drop other things for.  His first book, The Whisper Man, was brilliant and this was an excellent follow up.

I am at 12 out of 20. I'm going to edit it to 15, because there's no way I will get to 20 before the year is over. If it was due to laziness/not being in a reading mood, I'd leave it at 20. But I've not had time to read due to ongoing issues with my father's health. I am spending too much time taking care of him to read.

Even had a book I checked out that is the final book in a series I've been waiting since 2018 to read, and didn't get to read a single page, even after renewing it twice. (Secret World Chronicles book 5, if anyone cares.)

On 10/10/2020 at 11:51, GA! said:

Now I'm reading The Long-Lost Autobiography of Georges Méliès curated by Jon Spira; 

I just read this! It's really odd, and I don't know if I like it. A lovely object, though.

I've just started on Richard Evans' In Defence Of History, having already read and enjoyed a couple of his previous books on the David Irving holocaust denial trial and his most recent one on Hitler/Nazi conspiracy theories, so thought I should get round to this one. I'm two chapters in and already think it should be required reading, it's fantastic stuff.

Very much on target to hit 24 - I've read 23 novels so far this year.

I've also read 30 graphic novels and one play collection. 

Recently loved Boy Parts by Eliza Clark and Sisters by Daisy Johnson. 

Currently 2/3rd's through Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl, which I think, so far, is outstanding as well. 

• 1 month later...