Tomb Raider

Benji

First impressions from my three hour stint last night - it borrows heavily from Uncharted in terms of pace, which is only fair since Uncharted borrow heavily from Tomb Raider for almost everything else. It plays very smoothly, it's got some interesting mechanics, and it looks pretty. Hoping there's going to be more levels where it's not dark because of night or rain, because the initial outside level where I had to get my first animal kill was good looking. The bow mechanic is great, I'm preferring to use that and go stealth unless I accidentally trigger a guard reaction, which is where the gun comes out and does its job, so the weapon system is well balanced.

Generally, I'd say so far that I'm confident it's good. How long it'll be might be it's downfall, as I had about 25% complete after just 3 hours last night, but I'm not sure if that includes collectibles or is just the story.

Got it yesterday and playing today. Through to the first area and, although I could have continued through the bunker, I came back up to root around for the "stuff". Afterall, Tomb Raider is all about the stuff so I'm happy to play it through that way. It looks lovely, Lara is what 2013 woman vs nature Lara should be and I'm loving the Japanese vibes with the Oni and the mysterious music. I'm already preferring the wider open areas than Uncharted and it seems to me that although the story will be linear, there's scope for you to run around and explore yourself...which is great.

Just put an arrow through a bunny wabbit too so that's lovely.

Yeah I think so. I'm through to the third area (or "second" I guess) where things kick off a bit. Everything has been done very well from an emotional standpoint so far - fear, the gravitas that comes from killing an animal for the first time and then a person. The bow is fantastic. Loving the salvage updating of equipment and just unlocked the ability to fast travel between camps which makes searching for all the stuff even more of an obvious decision.

Also it's worth getting the extra stuff, especially the diaries as they really fill in a backstory of the island and of the different characters. The changing weather and time of day is very nice too. Also all the little touches like Lara running her hand across the cliffsides when you walk along narrow ledges are lovely touches.

Uncharted is definitely more of a Hollywood blockbuster in the vein of Indiana Jones while Tomb Raider definitely feels different.

Yeah I think so. I'm through to the third area (or "second" I guess) where things kick off a bit. Everything has been done very well from an emotional standpoint so far - fear, the gravitas that comes from killing an animal for the first time and then a person.

The first wolf part was

amazing. Really brought a cool new twist on an old memory.