EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Here's more very good movies. In a different year probably any of them could make the top three, but, you know. It's what it is.

0aTjOsB.png

7. The Irishman (39 points, appeared on six ballots)

VXeomHe.png

6. Booksmart (45 points, appeared on nine ballots)

4r68tWm.png

5. Spider-Man: Far From Home (52 points, appeared on ten ballots)

9AHZASG.png

4. Midsommar (66 points, appeared on eleven ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: A doughnut hole in the doughnut's hole. But we must look a little closer. And when we do, we see that the doughnut hole has a hole in its center - it is not a doughnut hole at all but a smaller doughnut with its own hole, and our doughnut is not a hole at all!

or

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: That's why people shouldn't make plans. With no plan, nothing can go wrong and if something spins out of control, it doesn't matter. Whether you kill someone or betray your country, none of it fucking matters. Got it?

or

Next Time, on EWB's Top 31 Movies of 2019: I am inevitable.

• Like 3

Ahh, that's a very, very good Top 3 :) 

The Tarantino movie is really good and really funny and didn't feel long at all, I went in actually knowing there'd be a fictional plot but I totally forgot I knew what was going to happen due to the nervousness and anxiety the build up and third act were causing and I was just submerged in the story. Really good, and just made my top 20 in a crazy good year of films.

Jojo Rabbit has so much heart and is spectacular in its wit and setting, but also has one of the most unbelievably heartbreaking moments in movies I've seen last year. My heart just absolutely broke in two at that, fuck me even now when I think about it, I'm getting a little sad.

Uncut Gems is simply some crazy drug-fueled haze of anxiety, your heartbeat goes insane. I fucking loved this. Adam Sandler was absolutely the best leading actor last year, there wasn't anyone that even came close (although I guess Adam Driver came close, Taron Edgerton was lovely and Roman Griffin Davis was solid AF).

Marriage Story, fuck me. Noah Baumbach wrote something absolutely incredible here. In my opinion, this is almost as good as A Separation. That movie had me feeling all kinds of shit afterwards, and Marriage Story definitely did the same. I might not want to watch it again (although I've watched A Separation two or three times after that as well, and it's been just as good each time).

The Irishman was fucking wonderful cinema, just everything I'd want in a Scorcese gangster film. 3 hours plus just flew by.

God, I really need to watch Booksmart. I feel so stupid for not doing so.

FFH was a ton of fun! Probably just the right type of film to have right after Endgame, too, really made me wait so impatiently for Phase 4. 

I also really need to watch Midsommar! Eurgh, really annoyed with myself how I can't bring myself to watch longform stuff now in favor of the episodic format, instead. My watchlist just grows and grows.

Man, EWB again came up with a great list, to be honest. Even with some duds (Rise of the Skywalkers, fucking Joker eurgh), crazy to see how good cinema was last year. Plus, I think for the first time ever all of my top 10 actually made it in, and 14 out of my top 15.

Would be curious how a list of this year's films would be, with the delays of so many releases. 

• Like 1

I really liked Far From Home. Good movie. But I'm also a sucker for anything Spider-Man.

I still need to see Booksmart as well. And The Irishman. And Midsommar.

45 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Cloudy, I have never been more confident in saying you'd like a thing than I am saying you would like Booksmart.

It's essentially a coming of age teen comedy, right? From the POV of two high school girls? I can dig on that.

• Like 1

I really loved The Irishman, I am open in saying after 2 hours of watching a movie I almost always get up and do something else/return to it another day. But for The Irishman all I did was get up to get water and pretzels. In so many years it would have been my number 1 but I don't even think it cracked my top 3 this year (I'll have to go back and check my list).

Midsommar is a brilliant movie about cutting all the toxic waste out of your life and embracing people who care about you with the backdrop of a Scandinavian cult.

Far From Home was a fun Spider-Man film that's for sure.

All good things must come to an end.

Q5AlJz1.png

3. Knives Out (88 points, appeared on eleven ballots)

2u7UuJ7.png

2. Avengers: Endgame (100 points, appeared on fourteen ballots)

TFgWG0S.png

1. Parasite (110 points, appeared on fourteen ballots)

I don't care that it won Best Picture, that is a huge upset. Parasite and Endgame were neck-and-neck in the early ballots until Avengers started pulling away, but Parasite got back within a spitting distance near the end and then the last few ballots came up huge for it. MCD and I were talking on Zoom weeks ago and I said that it's near-impossible to beat a really good/well-liked Marvel movie in these, you usually only see something else win in years where the MCU offerings are like... relatively minor sequels or stuff like Ant-Man.

I'll write my overall feelings on the top 15 at some point later, but I think this is almost certainly the strongest top ten (technically eleven) we've ever had. Thank you all for voting on it and who knows, maybe we'll do it again next year.

• Like 3

The Irishman: I have yet to see it. I've heard a lot about it, I've no doubt it'll be great. I just haven't had the want to watch a 3 hour gangster movie lately. But it's on the list. 

Booksmart: I haven't heard of it, to be honest. But that's a stellar cast list. I'll have to look it up. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home: I've only seen parts of it when a friend was watching it recently. I'm really interested in Tom Holland's Spider-Man (I think he's been stellar in the role in the Avengers films) but I haven't gotten to his stand alone films yet. I've been slowly doing a Marvel Chronological watch through during lockdown, so I'll get it it/them then. 

Midsommar: Another one I've heard enough about, and it was always good, but I've not come across it yet. It's been on the list a while now. 

Knives Out: Haven't gotten to it yet but have been wanting to see this since it's theatrical release. I have heard nothing but good things. And the plot is right up my alley it sounds like. 

Avengers: Endgame: I saw it in the theatre, and rewatched it on Disney+... it's such a great film from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it brought together the whole timeline really well.

Parasite: As with everyone who hasn't seen it yet, it's been on the list since the Oscars. It looks great. I'm looking forward to it.

Great list.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was holding out hope for Knives Out but the other two were just too strong :( 

To be honest I see Knives Out as the movie that made the highest ranking on this list that wasn’t in a true class of itself that Endgame and Parasite are, those two are just two incredibly huge and game-changing movies, IMO (Endgame more than Parasite, but Parasite really feels different as well). It’s a great film by itself, though, Rian Johnson is a fantastic filmmaker. Feels weird that there’ll be a sequel, though.

Feel that Endgame will be my favourite movie ever for a long time to come. I do not know how you can top a movie as big as this for me. It’s this generation’s Empire Strikes Back. 

Parasite actually just only made it into my top 15 with the last spot, but this is a well deserved victory for it. Utterly brilliant writing. I’ve only watched it once so far, actually want to go back and watch it again once a lot more details fade from memory.