The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I haven't heard anything about that, it's definitely a rumour. And movie rights don't work that way, they'd gain nothing from using Miles instead.

If anything, I feel like Spider-verse is setting us up for multiple Spider-Men active in 616. I'm kind of hoping we get a time displaced Superior Spidey in mainstream continuity before it's all done.

I just heard they are most likely replacing Peter with fucking Miles Morales because of the movie rights garbage. Please tell me that's a stupid rumor

That'd be weird if true. You'd imagine the issue would be the Spider-Man brand itself, not just the guy under the mask.

Thor was wonderful this week. I absolutely adore this book and it's arguably my most looked forward to book each month. I'd pretty happy with Odinson remaining Unworthy forever so we can keep the lady Thor.

I hope when they decide to give Odinson back Mjornir, they Beta Ray Bill the current Thor and give her a new hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Locke & Key has rekindled my love for comic books big time. It's just so wonderful, I'm on the last book now and good lord I don't ever want it to end.

after this I've got a Castro graphic biography to read which I'm pretty pumped for, then I think I'll get started on either 100 Bullets (I own the first two but never got past the first few pages) or Saga (I adore BKV already and everyone won't shut up about how good it is).

To any Captain America/Marvel fans, I'd highly suggest Marvel's Nomad series from the early 90's its a pretty fun read. The basic premise of the entire series is in theory Captain America stripped to the bare bones - no flashy get up, no gimmick villains, j.ust a man, Jack Monroe (50's Bucky, former Steve Rogers sidekick) travelling the country, discovering both himself and the true America, not the image the government likes to portray and it just so happens along the way no matter where he goes he finds himself helping common people with very common and socially relevant problems.

Basically so far in my read I can only think of it as Captain America deconstructed and its actually pretty damn good.

I.E. Just within the last few issues Jack has found himself in the middle of the LA riots that followed the infamous Rodney King trial, in a dispute between a group of native Americans and the FIB over the right to gamble on reserves and helping the transgendered community stop a serial killer who's been targeting members.

Edited by WeAreOne

The 90's gets shit on quite a bit ... but looking back there's some really good stuff. As you said, Nomad ... but the Midnight Sons stuff was great as well as the Foolkiller maxi series in the early 90's. MARVELS was amazing (just as good as Kingdome Come IMO) ... and say what you will and I may be in the minority but Age of Apocolypse was actually really good.

I basically grew up on 90s X-Men and that was my introduction to comics.

X-Cutioners song had just started when I first bought one and I loved them from then on, that's still one of my favourites to this day. The phalanx covenant and the Age of Apocalype as you mentioned were also two of my favourites.

I also loved Spider-Man during the whole Ben Reilly run, the stories either side of that were pretty great too.

X-cutioner's Song was another I really liked.

I know what I'm going to get for saying this ... but I liked X-Force (and not because of Liefeld's art like many claim to have been drawn to back in the day). I actually enjoyed the darker turn and evolution of the New Mutants (one of my favorite 90s books) and where X-Force went with things.

I also really enjoyed McFarlane's Spider-Man for some of the same reasons ... really picking at the other side of the issue for Parker and his villains.

Speaking of 90's X-Men, I remember reading Mutant X and even way back then thinking it had so much potential, might have to try and do a reread in the near future.

X-Factor is one of my favorite books of all time, and Mutant X was a lot of fun. Sometimes I wish they never stopped X-Factor, but then I remember that Mutant X wouldn't have happened either.

Finished Locke & Key. Wow and damn guys. Wow and damn.

Gonna get started on the Castro graphic novel now, looks fun. Next on the list is either Bone, 100 Bullets or Saga. I just can't decide which.

Saga.

Always Saga.

Edit: While I'm here, is Powers any good? There's like 14 volumes on sale at Comixology.

• 2 weeks later...

"Fight Club 2 - The Comic Sequell" is a 10 parter that Chuck has had in the work for more than a while now. Rolling Stone has the first preview pages. Part of me wants to avoid this like the plague part of me wants to read it because FIGHT CLUB!

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/check-out-exclusive-artwork-from-fight-club-2-comic-20150218

Gonna get started on the Castro graphic novel now, looks fun. Next on the list is either Bone, 100 Bullets or Saga. I just can't decide which.

Bone is legend. Probably the best Comic i have ever read. Saga is very good aswell, yet for some reason i dident manage to read the last 12 issues, i only got them sitting on my iPad. >_>

On the Topic of Concluding great comics (and as a saga tie in, since it was written by the same guy) i can always point at "Y - The last man" as a good long read with a well don conclusion.

Edited by Herr Matzat

Are there any apps to buy/read comics digitally? preferably for Windows 8.1