What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Before Midnight

Amazing. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are just magic on screen together. The Jesse and Celine characters are just so wonderful. I don't care about the Oscars anymore, but they definitely deserve theirs.

So I went back and looked up what I said about it on here, and can't believe I didn't mention it before, but did you guys realize

that they did have a reference to the first two movies, in the wine and the tea? I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but it seems that a lot of my friends missed it somehow. It's actually fucking sad, because the wine was there in the park in Sunrise and the tea was there at the end in Sunset, but in Midnight both were left untouched. Was pretty sad as hell for me

:(

I don't know if it's considered a reference to the previous two or a callback, or if both mean the same thing.

I finally watched Cloud Atlas tonight and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. We watched it on the big screen in Uni, which I think helped with the pacing because I rarely felt bored, but I felt I'd have struggled to watch it on a laptop. But yeah, it's really cinematic and epic in scope and Jim Broadbent & Hugo Weaving are incredible. Would recommend it to people who were put off before.

Also watched Dallas Buyers Club which I thought was a good film elevated by wonderful performances. I'd have had no idea that Jared Leto was even in it if I didn't know beforehand.

I watched Punch Drunk Love last night.

It was alright. Sandler was really good, but to be honest, I didn't really enjoy some of the directing. Stuff like playing that really annoying music over the top of people talking, which totally worked for why they wanted to do it, but it just bugged the shit out of me and really took me out of the film. I think there's better ways they could've portrayed it. Hoffman was brilliant for the small part he played, too. Overall, I just wasn't so into this one.

Captain Phillips

Awesome. Barkhad Abdi deserves every Best Supporting Actor award on the planet. Oh, and Tom Hanks was his average Tom Hanks (which is still better than almost everybody).

Nebraska

Pretty good. Will Forte and June Squibb were amazing, and Bruce Dern of course did fantastic. That scene in the car is can't-miss, especially.

I was really, really disappointed by Inside Llewyn Davis. I really can't put my finger on what it was, I saw it with an awful cinema audience, but I thought it was just kind of hollow. I didn't really care for much that was going on, and a number of performances were too one note. The lead actor was incredible, but I just never got invested. I wasn't too keen on hearing each song in full, either. I've loved a lot of The Coen's previous work, and I was so excited for this, but it just didn't do anything for me. Oh, John Goodman was wonderful though, and it looked beautiful. Maybe I need to watch this one again?

Philomena

Judi Dench is the best, man. I don't even like Steve Coogan half the time but he was pretty good in this as well. Plus, it helped that I didn't know how it was going to end.

The Spectacular Now

Honestly, best coming of age film this year besides Kings of Summer. Oh, and Frozen, too, I guess, if that counts.