The Wire Appreciation Thread

How should we handle Spoilers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be spoiler tags?

It is, to me, the weakest season. That said, it's still likely better than the best season of all but a handful of other shows I can think of.

And that said, I do like the idea of giving the focus to what happens to an intensely focused idealist trapped within a failing institution. From that perspective, it's the natural fifth act in the Tragedy of The Wire. Not that that's a perfect analogy.

Finished season three.

Lots of interesting pieces taken off the board...

Yeah, that marks a definite shift in the series. However, the next season may be the best one yet.

I am liking it thus far.

Coach Dennis is racking 'em up.

All the guys asking McNulty to come back are kind of sad though.

He's happy with Holly Flax. Leave him alone and solve your own damn murders. :/

Speaking of, I wish Dominic West would get cast in more high profile projects and, no, I do not mean stuff like Johnny English.

Related, and some of you may know this already: I haven't yet watched any Game of Thrones, but West apparently turned down a major role in the series. He supposedly didn't know a great deal about it and it just didn't interest him. I'm probably going to find that disappointing once I start watching Game of Thrones.

It's not all that high profile, but he was incredible in The Hour (I think that's what it was called. The BBC thing about a 1950s newsroom which, aside from all the retroactive moralising, was very, very good), and gloriously hammy in John Carter.

Oh, Jesus Christ, that is amazing.

I legit laughed out loud and hard at the Ziggy bit and several other things. My one and only gripe is the skipping stage 2 and missing nothing bit. Otherwise, that video's a goddamn treasure.

Snoop is awesome. Someone needed to die in the upper echelon of the Marlo organization but I sort of wish it was Chris and not her. But I guess you couldn't have a scene at the end of Snoop and Wee-Bey in prison...

Ugh. No. She was the worst.

The nail gun scene was cute, I admit, but came waaay too early. I was beyond ready for her to die at least six episodes before it happened.

I was even getting pissy when they got busted with the tools as I thought she might be getting arrested and making it out alive. Agonizing.

When the kid started asking her to stop so he could pee, I was sooooo psyched.

Other thoughts...

I had it spoiled for me while watching season two I think that Omar didn't make it, so EVERY time he showed up after that I was like "...is this it?"

Him and the brother facing off... I was SURE it was over.

Then, the shootout with the couch... SO SURE.

Even the jump. I was like "man went out on his own terms, rather fitting".

But no.

Once he survived that and started calling Marlo out all over town, I was expecting a big Matrix-style finale. One-on-one showdown.

Then boom.

Pack of Newports.

Spoiled and still fucking stunned. I even did instant replay on it to make sure. What a trip.