The Wire Appreciation Thread

How should we handle Spoilers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be spoiler tags?

Blasphemous. It's Tom Waits! Not only is it Tom Waits, but he composed the original song ("Way Down In the Hole").

• Like 1

No it's pretty much the GOAT it's touted as.

I don't think it tops Game of Thrones for me, looking back, but it definitely ended up better than SOA, to go back to my original comments on it.

EDIT: Though, to be fair, the first three (four? Whenever...

Stahl dies. )

ranks up there with them, and GoT is helped by my love for the books. Speaking of which, if you like The Wire, you definitely need to read the books behind them.

• 1 month later...

Season three is significantly more accessible than seasons one and two. I'm enjoying this from the offset, and Major Colvin is an exceptional addition to the cast, with a great character too. McNulty remains an absolute bell-end. About halfway through, and overall arc seems to be setting off a powder keg ready to explode, and I can't wait for it to go down.

Colvin is a great character that will develop even more in Season 4 and become even better.

Fun little bit of trivia - Colvin's second in command, the mustached dry humored badass is a former cop and is actually the inspiration for the Jay Landsman character since, well... his name is Jay Landsman.

Inspired by that post, I went on YouTube and rewatched

The breakdown of Avon and Stringer's relationship ending in each of them betraying the other. I forgot that Avon was actually in position to take a real shot at Marlo before the cops showed up at his base of operations. Jeez. Without spoiling anything for season 4 and 5, you have to wonder what they'd have been like if he'd succeeded.

• 2 weeks later...

Colvin is a great character that will develop even more in Season 4 and become even better.

Fun little bit of trivia - Colvin's second in command, the mustached dry humored badass is a former cop and is actually the inspiration for the Jay Landsman character since, well... his name is Jay Landsman.

Most of the characters are inspired by real people and real events that David Simon experienced as crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun and made appearances in the show.

The wiretap case from season 1 was based on a case that Ed Norris worked in the 80s, that's why they were using pagers in 2002.

Ed Norris, who plays Det. Ed Norris in a minor recurring role, was actually commissioner of the BPD and went onto become Superintendent of the Maryland State Police. He had to resign after pleading guilty to corruption charges. He states that only resigned because he falsified his income on a mortgage application, the "head shot" that Lester Freamon used to get Clay Davis to be an informant in Season 5. Conviction on the mortgage fraud charge could have gotten him up to 30 years in federal prison, so he instead pleaded guilty to other charges and spent 6 months in prison.

Clay Davis is said to be based on former Maryland state Sen. Larry Young, who was expelled from the Maryland Senate for corruption but was later acquitted at trial. Hunter appeared in Season 5 as a talk radio host interviewing Davis before he went on trial.

The Deacon character is portrayed by Melvin Williams. Williams is a major inspiration for the Avon Barksdale character and was arrested by Burns in 1984 and his trial was covered by Simon.

Snoop Pearson essentially is playing herself. She's a former drug dealer and was convicted of second-degree murder at the age of 14 and spent 6 and a half years in prison.

Brother Mouzone's personal assistant, Lamar, was played Deandre McCullough, who the main character in David Simon's book "The Corner." McCullough was a drug dealer and addict and spent time in prison and eventually was found dead of a heroin overdose in Baltimore at the same time there were warrants out for his arrest in two armed robberies.

Plus, the "Hamsterdam" experiment was apparently really tried by Kurt Schmoke, who was Mayor of Baltimore in the 80s, and he had cameos in Season 3 advocating to Royce to keep Hamsterdam running.