Star Trek Discovery

K

I was about to rewind to confirm they did indeed drop an F bomb when they proceeded to throw in another one.

I actually liked it. It felt out of place but it came from Miss Out Of Place, so it felt in character with her.

I also like how there's just a casual gay couple, and that the captain continues to be essentially just an asshole to everyone.

The show is definitely growing on me. Sort of like spores.

One thing that did bother me...

Spoiler

Lorca abandoning Mudd in the Klingon prison. I know he's meant to be a different kind of Captain, but just abandoning Mudd to his fate seemed very un-Trek. I think it's the one thing I've genuinely not felt comfortable with in the show so far. Trek is about hope to me, and unless there's no other option, abandoning him there to die just made Lorca feel a little... evil?

Think it's clear that this isn't just any Trek show, which I'm actually really enjoying. It's not just being different for the sake of it, either. As for @Benji's spoiler:

Spoiler

Lorca is the guy that goes against the Star Trek code, it's why he doesn't consider himself an explorer. He wouldn't have thought twice about using the Targidade for whatever purpose, and he would sooner have had it sent for testing or something once it went into that shell shape.

On 10/16/2017 at 03:13, SeanDMan said:

I was about to rewind to confirm they did indeed drop an F bomb when they proceeded to throw in another one.

Yeah, I had to do this too :shifty: . 

Man, imagine if one was dropped during the early seasons of The Next Generation...

Data: Fucking. A vulgar yet colorful metaphor, often used in instances of frustration or excitement, also used to describe the casual act of copula--

Picard: Thank you, Mr Data, we are aware of what 'fucking' means.

18 hours ago, Mick said:

Yeah, I had to do this too :shifty: . 

Man, imagine if one was dropped during the early seasons of The Next Generation...

Data: Fucking. A vulgar yet colorful metaphor, often used in instances of frustration or excitement, also used to describe the casual act of copula--

Picard: Thank you, Mr Data, we are aware of what 'fucking' means.

Wesley would have been a lot tolerable if Picard was allowed to tell the little fucker exactly what he felt about him on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed it thus far and have got fully up to date.  It feels like a darker Trek at the minute, but there are enough references to past canon that it still feels like a Trek for the most part. F-bombs aside.

Also this weeks episode was great and made me appreciate Michael so much more, the main characters really are starting to feel a bit more organic and likeable.

This week's episode was a nice bit of character work for Burnham and Sarak, very enjoyable episode.

Spoiler

Lorka makes it a second episode in a row for making highly morally questionable decisions by leaving Kat in Klingon hands to save his career.

While leaving Mudd behind last week was vaguely defendable this was him outright sacrificing someone to save himself and puts him down the path of becoming an outright villain.

Haven't seen the episode but I am disappointed that it doesn't feature the Lethians.

1 hour ago, SeanDMan said:

Haven't seen the episode but I am disappointed that it doesn't feature the Lethians.

I hated that episode as a kid because it was stupid, now as an adult I hate it because I'm older than Dr. Bashir was when he was having his breakdown about being old.

• Haha 1

I think I've almost caught up. Just met Clem Fandango which excited me more than it should.

I love it. I like that most of them we've met on the ship is a bit of a dick in one way or another (except the doctor so far) and Lorca's fantastically morally grey-at-best.

As I've mentioned in a billion places since I started watching, it feels like some Farscape vibes have been mixed in Star Trek. It's more brutal, more ambiguous, the "protagonists" have their own motivations that aren't just always for the good of Starfleet and the main antagonists are interesting and I eant to know more about them.

Lorca's torture and capture was like a watered-down veesion of Crichton's capture and torture by Scorpius when he met Stark. The overarching story arc is more than just monster-of-the-week and is more character-centred than previous Treks, promising some proper development and evolution.

It's one of those weird things with modern trek, while it doesn't fit in canon (though have we had anything confirming when holodecks were invented in-universe?) it's something that makes sense for them to have when you look at how far VR has come in real life.

I'm fine with it but I can see how it may irk some people.