The Last Of Us II

Hellraiser

26 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I agree with some of this.

Hide contents

I never liked Joel much anyway, so seeing him killed off didn't bother me much. I always thought it was obvious that someone who massacred a hospital full of soldiers and doctors would have some mortal enemies, so the revelation of Abby's motivations for killing him shouldn't have surprised anyone. For that reason, the whole "Actually, the bad guys are the good guys of their own story" angle was completely predictable.

Spoiler

I went into the game fully expecting Joel to die at some point. I knew his rampage at the hospital would come back to bate him. I just hated how it went down combined with the perspective shift halfway through the game.

As someone who also just recently played this (for me it was the first time), I totally get why @Hellraiser feels that way and I think that was part of the point. For better or worse, TLOU has become the go-to example for stories in video games. And while I feel like Part 1 was a pretty basic zombie story that was good... for a video game, Part 2 is a hell of a story, albeit a little too long. I think they deliberately wanted to subvert expectations and knew it would be polarizing to players, but that appeals to me in an industry filled with safe choices. But I understand hating every single narrative choice they made because they were definitely provocative. 

Really eager to see how they do it in the show because I think people will lose their fucking minds if they adapt it exactly as-is in the game. 

• Like 1

I wish I had the same experience with the story, but none of it surprised me at all. Spec Ops: The Line already did the same sort of thing about ten years previously, and that had the sense to duck out after four hours because the point was made. The Last of Us 2 kept drilling home the same message over and over again, only to then have a final section that was rushed and underdeveloped.

Part 2 is the best game I've ever played that I know I will absolutely never play again. It was frustrating and sometimes it hurt which made it perfect I just know I never want to experience that again. In a world where everyone wants their games to be infinitely replayable that may not be a good thing but I appreciate the hell out of them for doing it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...