Tom Brady retires; unretires; retires again

livid

7 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Brady won't be starting his broadcasting stint at Fox until Fall 2024.

i.e. "Shit! We didn't expect him to retire this fast and we need to figure out what to do with Greg Olsen and Kevin Burkhardt!"

• Haha 2

Contrary to Jeff Darlington reporting that it was Bucs or retirement for Brady, Bill Simmons believes that the rumors from 2020 were still in play and that Brady would've played one more year if he could've either gotten to Miami, or a chance to play under Sean Payton.

Obviously the Dolphins publicly committed to Tua.  Simmons doesn't believe he'd have followed Payton to Denver even if Russ weren't there, as location would've been an issue for him. Jokes about "he must hate his family" aside, he wants to be reasonably close to his kids and for that reason he believes any talk of the Raiders, Niners, etc. was nothing but media wishcasting.

Anyway, Simmons can be annoying but he's definitely had some consistent Brady sources over the years. The timing of this all seems to jive as Brady went from "I'll take my time to decide" to retiring mere hours after Payton was off the board.

Maybe he'll get an itch to play when camps open again but he's clearly aware that he jumped the gun last year and I'm sure he knows he'd look like an imbecile if he unretired again.  Especially now that he just dropped a podcast discussing his retirement with his parents, Gronk, Peyton among others.  Seems this actually is the real deal this time.  Glad he's gone but gonna be weird.

1 hour ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Anyway, Simmons can be annoying but he's definitely had some consistent Brady sources over the years. The timing of this all seems to jive as Brady went from "I'll take my time to decide" to retiring mere hours after Payton was off the board.

I don't even have sources and that seemed obvious to me. 

• Confused 1