Christmas Movies

Captain Kirk

On 07/12/2022 at 17:25, GhostMachine said:

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Kidding!)

talking like that'll get Torg sent after you!

I probably watch the MST3k episodes of Santa Calus Conquers The Martians and Santa Claus every year. I enjoy Muppet's Christmas Carol also Scrooged is pretty great.

22 hours ago, GA! said:

No joke on nothing, my sister and I have watched Santa with Muscles starring Hulk Hogan in person every Christmas (except 2020 for obvious reasons) since 2009.

Annual watches are Gremlins and Jingle All The Way.

Reflecting once again how Santa with Muscles is technically in my top 10 most watched films of all time. I have a film degree.

• Haha 4

My Christmas Movies 'Hall of Fame', as it were, are:

It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
The Muppet Christmas Carol
The Snowman (yes the 26 minute animation, but it counts)

Those (or most of them) will seem obvious but I'm intentionally keeping it an exclusive group. There are many movies that fall just short of this quartet. Probably the closest candidate is the 2019 Netflix movie Klaus, which I rewatched last week and remains just superb.

I also remember Arthur Christmas being excellent but it's been a few years since I saw it, so need to confirm. I am also not sure if I've ever watched Scrooged properly, so I need to rectify that asap.

And Die Hard IS a Christmas movie and IS of course excellent... but not in the right way to broach the top tier.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stokeriño said:

My Christmas Movies 'Hall of Fame', as it were, are:

It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
The Muppet Christmas Carol
The Snowman (yes the 26 minute animation, but it counts)

Those (or most of them) will seem obvious but I'm intentionally keeping it an exclusive group. There are many movies that fall just short of this quartet. Probably the closest candidate is the 2019 Netflix movie Klaus, which I rewatched last week and remains just superb.

I also remember Arthur Christmas being excellent but it's been a few years since I saw it, so need to confirm. I am also not sure if I've ever watched Scrooged properly, so I need to rectify that asap.

And Die Hard IS a Christmas movie and IS of course excellent... but not in the right way to broach the top tier.

I’ve not watched Klaus yet, keep meaning too!

1 hour ago, The Kraig said:

Also featuring Shannon Spruill/Daffney!

Was she? I never noticed that. I assume she would be fairly young at the time though.

There are some weird appearances in that movie, like the slovenly sister from Keeping Up Appearances. I seem to recall Mike from The Young Ones was one of the elves too.

But yes, John Lithgow is amazing in that film. Pretty much turns the thing on its head when his character shows up.

21 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Was she? I never noticed that. I assume she would be fairly young at the time though.

There are some weird appearances in that movie, like the slovenly sister from Keeping Up Appearances. I seem to recall Mike from The Young Ones was one of the elves too.

But yes, John Lithgow is amazing in that film. Pretty much turns the thing on its head when his character shows up.

Apparently the film is a big deal in England. I'd never even heard of it until after Shannon died. She was a kid in England at the time and they were looking for American kids on a casting call or something. The film was done at Pinewood.

It's not Christmas until a muppet version of Tiny Tim reduces me to tears. Every year it does it since I watched the film at the cinema as a child. But it's a Christmas tradition. Just love the movie for some reason. Proper fun feel with a lot of scene's that still hit you a little later in life due to what we all go through. The Muppets and Caine just make it a very fun take on the classic tale. 

Although for some reason Christmas Movies are often either Crocodile Dundee, Steptoe and Son Ride Again with some Carry On films sprinkled in between the other festive usual one's that are on. Guess because this is what was usually on TV as a child and is now mostly at Christmas. 

Might watch one of the Lethal Weapon Movie's if there's time. Oh Black Christmas. As much as that film is disturbing. It's quite a decent slasher.

Lithgow got interviewed a few years back and it was brought up, it was a massive bomb in the US, but we Brits loved it, and it's one of the main things hes recognised for when he's greeted by people in the UK which says a lot from his body of work. And for all the stars in it, let us not forget Santa himself was played by THE Jeff Lebowski.