Christmas Movies

Captain Kirk

I never miss watching the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on Xmas Eve but outside of that I try to fit in the classics; Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, Gremlins, Die Hard etc.

I feel like I need to rewatch Scrooged at some point because I recall liking it the first time I ever watched it but then I didn't the last time I did which was like 5 or 6 years ago now.

11 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

I never miss watching the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on Xmas Eve but outside of that I try to fit in the classics; Miracle on 34th St, It's a Wonderful Life, Gremlins, Die Hard etc.

I feel like I need to rewatch Scrooged at some point because I recall liking it the first time I ever watched it but then I didn't the last time I did which was like 5 or 6 years ago now.

I wouldn't even say Scrooged is a fantastic film, it's decent. I watched it when I was like 9 on Christmas Eve once and it just stuck with me.

Die Hard

Scrooged

Miracle on 34th St

A Christmas Carol (either the Alastair Sim or Sir Patrick Stewart version; the Disney version is a no-no because it almost makes me cry.)

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Kidding!)

I have not seen Its A Wonderful Life in at least five years, A Christmas Story in at least ten.

I also get stuck watching a lot of the new Hallmark movies every year, because Heidi is addicted. However, I have her record them and we don't watch any until a couple of days after Thanksgiving. She also watches some while I'm asleep, but the after Thanksgiving rule still applies. 

Pretty much the only movies that I tend to watch with regularity now at Christmas time is Die Hard and Home Alone. I used to watch National Lampoon's Christmas but honestly I've gotten tired of that movie. It just doesn't live up to the same enjoyment I shared with it when I was younger. 

I got that way with A Christmas Story. Would watch it every year but got worn out on it. I'm tempted to watch it again after seeing A Christmas Story Christmas which was pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I don't celebrate Christmas at all, but I watch The Muppets' Christmas Carol every year without fail.

If the reports are true we'll be finally getting the full version this year, as they are putting When Love is Gone back into the Disney+ version.

It was removed from the theatrical release since as it was felt it brought down the tone and was only release on select home releases.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

If the reports are true we'll be finally getting the full version this year, as they are putting When Love is Gone back into the Disney+ version.

It was removed from the theatrical release since as it was felt it brought down the tone and was only release on select home releases.

If they don't (and it does like they are), the song is in the extras on Disney+ so you can watch it irritatingly manually.

After TBS started showing it for 24 hours, A Christmas Story became mandatory viewing on Christmas Eve and Day.

Growing up, a local station would always air a burning of the yule log for 8 hours, from 6am to 2pm.  This would be on our TV while we opened presents.  This isn't the exact one, but its reasonably close

11 hours ago, Happy HoLintdays said:

After TBS started showing it for 24 hours, A Christmas Story became mandatory viewing on Christmas Eve and Day.

Growing up, a local station would always air a burning of the yule log for 8 hours, from 6am to 2pm.  This would be on our TV while we opened presents.  This isn't the exact one, but its reasonably close

We actually do this. Rogers Cable here in Canada actually has a fireplace channel during the holiday seasons so we put that on when we open presents.

• Like 1

Elf is my usual go to along with Die Hard. Netflix have released alot recently in the past few years, I watched the film that brought Lyndsey Lohan out of retirement and it is cheesy garbage. Watched Office Christmas Party for the first time and that was quite funny. But you cannot go wrong with The Muppet Christmas Carol

• Like 1

Home Alone is something I feel the need to watch every year.

When I was at uni we watched Joyeux Noël every year, since we had an international bunch or people whenever I was flat sharing. The cast is also international and they use English, French, German and even Latin in the film. I always feel the need to recommend it since many a drink, laugh and cry were had to the point where I don't feel right about sitting watching it myself. It's based on the Christmas truce of 1914.