Sports Memorabilia

TheGrandAvatar

Just found a box of my brother's stuff in it. It has a load of match day program's from 1990 to 1995 for Blackburn Rover's.

It was nice seeing them again. As Mark loved his football and would often go down to watch them. Always remember waiting at the door for big brother to come home from the match.

It had a plaque in there designed like their home shirt at the time that he had made himself and some player's signed it for him. There was also a Lancashire telegraph from the day they won The Premiership. Plus a little Alan Shearer figure that came in some cereal at the time. 

It had me thinking to the thing's we collect from our own love of sport. What do you own that is something special to you from a sport's team or player?!

• Like 1

My mother used to know Julian Joachim's mother, so he was kind enough to give me an Aston Villa ball signed by the whole 1999/2000 squad. I'm not a Villa fan, but it's a great piece of memorabilia.

My grandfather, who I never met, was a big Notts County fan. He had some match programmes from way back in the inter-war period. When he died, he got a small tribute column in the programme for the next match too.

• Like 3

I've got a Jonty Rhodes autograph on a picture of him in a magazine, I got him to sign it when the South African team were down at Kent for a warm up match before the 1999 World Cup. That was cool.

I also have a Kent mini bat from the early 90s and a signed sheet for Australian and South African teams from a similar era due to me raising money for a charity as a twelve/thirteen year old.

I've got a really cool pack from the cycling Tour of Britain from years ago which I bought off ebay. It's a big road book for the cyclists/fans with info on all the routes, also sheets with all the results each day. The owner had gotten the stage winner to sign each day so it has autograph from riders like George Hincapie, so that's a nice thing.

I've got loads of wrestlers. Partly from me attending shows and some from a friend of mine working as assistant to wrestlers at a comic con a few years back. I'll take some photos in a bit.

• Like 2

I've gotten into collecting football shirts so there is that. Some old, some relatively newer kits that I like. 

In my mums there's a bunch of old football programme and tickets for Liverpool (one thing I hate about modern football is you don't really get paper tickets anymore unless it's a final or a semi final at Wembley) 

I've got a signed photo of me and Jan Molby hung in my office. Heather got me an ultimate Liverpool experience when we first started dating so had breakfast with him and a group of us went to the academy and had a training session and played a match with him then back to Anfield for lunch. 

Most random is Roy Carroll's autograph when he played for Wigan in the old division 2. Have cousin's from Wigan so used to go to their games a bit as a kid

• Like 2

Ok, first few....

Meiko Satomura from an appearance at EVE.

Hurricane and Gail Kim from my friend's work at a comic con.

A whole load of wrestlers from the first Wrestle Queendom with plenty of signatures from the meet and greet. Including everyone on the poster, Millie McKenzie and Addy Starr.

20221218_233411[3573].jpg

20221218_233444[3574].jpg

20221218_233430[3571].jpg

20221218_233441[3572].jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I have several NASCAR drivers autographs from the 80s and 90s, including Richard Petty. Kyle Petty's is on a Racing Champions die-cast Mello Yello car, which is the one Tom Cruise's character drove in "Days of Thunder" with a different #.

I also have quite a bit of Racing Champions die-cast cars, including a Dale Earnhardt one that is worth quite a bit of money if I ever choose to sell it. 

And I also have a few items commemorating Mark McGwire breaking Roger Maris' single season home run record, but I hid that crap away a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My great uncle worked for Liverpool, managed to get me a long sleeve shirt back when it wasn’t a replica signed by the whole squad (Houlier did it twice) plus a lot of 8x10’s of like Paul Ince, Patrick Berger and a few others. They’re at my family home so when my step mum pops it, I’ll have those.

Through work I won a competition to be the ‘match day sponsor’ of a Cobblers game, had like the whole three course meal, free bar, sat where the owners sat. Had to walk out on the pitch before that my wife found hilarious.

As part of it I was gifted a shirt signed by the whole team, was extra special because they were relegated that day which was very fun.

• Like 2

I've got one of those souvenir mini cricket bat from a county championship game me and my brother went to in the mid 90s that we spent the day getting autographed by whichever player was fielding by the boundaries. Main two are Graeme Hick and Glenn McGrath.

• Like 2