2 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I never said I faulted him for turning down the contract. But I don't think you turn it down and then accept something else, without hitting free agency.

I think it depends on the situation. For argument's sake, he gets traded to Toronto, the Jays sign Ohtani and extend Bichette. Now he's with a team that has two generational talents locked up long-term, of which he'd be the third if he signs a new deal. Now he's with a team that not only wants to sign him, but also has proven that they'll do what it takes to win. Maybe that's enough to get him to put pen to paper.

Even if it isn't, I think the Padres end up taking way less than their ask from New York to move Soto. I think them trying to maximize his value is going to hurt them long-term, because they need to be out from under his salary, and other teams are going to be aware of that.

Lost in all of this talk, I want to make sure you all know that I have no expectation that any of this really goes down. This IS Blue Jays baseball, after all. It's just really exciting to know that the top free agent available is not only interested in Toronto, but that the Jays are in on him right down to the wire. That's huge.

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm curious to see who is the starting 3B for the Jays next season. The free agent options are not very exciting. And I like Espinal - but not as an everyday starter. 

If it wasn't for his age, I'd say take a flyer on Joey Votto, and convert him from 1st to 3rd. He actually is from Toronto, and I really don't see anyone signing him as a starter at 1st.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm curious to see who is the starting 3B for the Jays next season. The free agent options are not very exciting. And I like Espinal - but not as an everyday starter. 

FanGraphs has Biggio, Martinez, Palmegiana and Espinal all having about 100 PA should the team remain as is (with Schneider and Espinal splitting some time at 2B. My gut says that Barger could get a decent amount of time there though. Excited to see him in Spring Training. 

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

If it wasn't for his age, I'd say take a flyer on Joey Votto, and convert him from 1st to 3rd. He actually is from Toronto, and I really don't see anyone signing him as a starter at 1st.

Even if they signed Votto (which they shouldn't, he's been pretty bad), he'd just fill in the role that Belt had this year. No reason to move him to third, especially at his age. 

I saw a name thrown around on rumor sites the other day... I want to say it was Isaac Paredes. Can't remember, but I'm okay with no obvious starter at 3rd if signing Ohtani means that additional adds are limited.

There's enough there in the system that I'm comfortable giving the opportunity to the young guys to see if someone can take the reins. If not, then maybe we look at a 3rd baseman at the deadline when it's easier to get a solid bat/glove from a non-contending team.

Yankee writers seem to believe strongly that the Soto deal gets done today.  Yankees seemingly feeling some pressure to close things out before Ohtani makes his decision so that there isn't more Soto competition.  The Padres knowing they can possibly wait for more bidders but ultimately just prefer the package the Yanks could offer.  Add that up and it feels like maybe whatever final remain piece or two preventing the deal can be agreed upon today to get it over with.

As a Mets fan, Soto to the Yankees feels like it'll be a nightmare scenario.  Not for 2024, I don't care about that and realize he's officially only a rental.  But I see a long-term ripple effect where getting him in 2025 becomes far more unlikely.  I hope to be proven wrong of course but to me, I'd feel better about the Mets' odds of signing Soto if he landed literally anywhere else.

Even if he tests the market, the Yankees will have tons of pressure to sign him back.  Is it possible Hal gets scared off by the amount it'll take?  Maybe.  But it's just tough to not imagine them finally going "fuck it, we're still the Yankees" and doing everything they can to get him to re-sign in November/December.

It's one of those things where if he plays a year here and decides he loves New York, a market competitive offer from Hal might win out over Cohen offering slightly more.  It's just really hard to imagine a scenario where a guy goes from a stadium where he's perfectly suited to hit 45 nukes a year and hitting next to Judge in one of the most imposing duos of all time, to going crosstown to a far worse hitters park, on a team that figures to be bad in 2024 and in a division that will be run by the Braves for the next decade.  It's just really hard to see a generational talent in the prime of his career willingly going from the Bronx to Queens.  It's never happened.

Yep.  This is a gut punch.  I've never wanted a player in Queens as badly as Juan Soto.  My only fear with the Mets not pursuing him in trade (and they really couldn't, they're weak in young pitching and could've never offered what the Yanks could) was that the team that got him would go all-out to re-sign him.  Even if he hits the market, the Yankees will have all the pressure on them to keep him and I honestly think if Soto loves it in the Bronx it'll just be a Judge situation where I'll believe he actually leaves when I see it.

I don't doubt Cohen will still make him the highest offer next winter but unless he just absolutely completely blows the doors off of everyone else I think Soto will stay in the Bronx if it's close.  Cohen's money can't change the fact that an entire generation of players and fans alike have grown up seeing the Mets as the second rate franchise in their own city.  That shit really can't be overcome short of finally being a consistent winner, which they've never been in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

What happens with Stanton? I would guess the outfield is Verdugo - Judge - Soto. Is Stanton going to be stinking up the DH slot all season?

That's what he's been since joining the team. He's played outfield maybe 20-25 times a season the last few years. Knowing him he will likely get hurt driving to spring training and miss three months anyway.

Although they've gotten the timeline wrong before, about an hour ago reporters all started talking matter of factly as though an Ohtani announcement was imminent and could come today.

Then someone took the time to check flight data and saw that a private plane left Santa Ana, CA (20 min outside of Anaheim) headed for Toronto.  And Yusei Kikuchi has apparently reserved an entire upscale sushi restaurant just outside of Rogers Centre for 50+ people tonight.  Oh and December 8th is also the same day he made his decision last time.

This could all just be a series of coincidences but as JR says, business is picking up!