Classic Cinema Discussion

Your Mom

Missed almost the entire first half of the US World Cup match but it was worth it for Double Indemnity!!

I don't know exactly what you call it but I really think this is my favorite style of movie as far as these old time movies go. You got the strong main male character who acts like he is in control of things but mostly has no idea what's going on and the femme fatale type "dame" who acts weak but is really in control the whole time. Or is she?? 

Like once I got past the agreeing to commit murder because you liked the look of someone's ankle this was another really great one. My favorite character was a bit of a side character again. It was Keyes the guy who was working the insurance case. He was sort of a Columbo before Columbo type guy and I really enjoyed him.

I normally don't like when the movie starts at the end and a character tells you the story but I had enough questions that I was still with it until the end and was actually still wrong about part of it. So we are officially back on track with good movies! Not sure what's up next.

Classics watched this year:

1. 12 Angry Men (1957)
2. The Maltese Falcon
3. The Third Man
4. The Searchers
5. Network

6. Casablanca 
7. In the Heat of the Night
8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
9. Citizen Kane
10. Double Indemnity 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Missed almost the entire first half of the US World Cup match but it was worth it for Double Indemnity!!

I don't know exactly what you call it but I really think this is my favorite style of movie as far as these old time movies go. You got the strong main male character who acts like he is in control of things but mostly has no idea what's going on and the femme fatale type "dame" who acts weak but is really in control the whole time. Or is she??

Have you watched Touch of Evil yet? It would be in that wheelhouse.

• Like 1

I suppose at this point 20 years is classic cinema. So I've been meaning to watch the extended editions of Lord of The Rings trilogy for basically forever. I've never got around to it. I always imagined sitting with Baggins for the long haul and watching it and now... well, yeah.

So I've got the week off this week, and my boy might not be here to see it physically, but I'm going to show him what he's named for, and show him that like Frodo, he helped carry my darkness for so long and saved my world at a time when I really needed him.

I know I'm going to break at "don't go where I can't follow". I always do, but this time it's going to have a whole lot more meaning.

I'll see you across the rainbow bridge in the Undying Lands my beautiful boy.

• Like 2

If you liked Double Indemnity you're in luck that there's quite a number of films in a similar wheelhouse. The Letterboxd page for Double Indemnity has a similar films list that is really helpful - some new stuff, some old stuff, some that are pure remakes (Body Heat), but a great resource.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damhausen said:

If you liked Double Indemnity you're in luck that there's quite a number of films in a similar wheelhouse. The Letterboxd page for Double Indemnity has a similar films list that is really helpful - some new stuff, some old stuff, some that are pure remakes (Body Heat), but a great resource.

Body Heat is not a remake, but `influenced by'. Ie, they took the basic plot and did their own thing with it.

13 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Body Heat is not a remake, but `influenced by'. Ie, they took the basic plot and did their own thing with it.

Yeah, I've seen it. The entire central twist is lifted from Double Indemnity, so as soon as you figure that is the way it's headed, the suspense gets muted.

12 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Yeah, I've seen it. The entire central twist is lifted from Double Indemnity, so as soon as you figure that is the way it's headed, the suspense gets muted.

True. Body Heat is undoubtedly one of Kathleen Turner's finest performances. Maybe even in the discussion for her best. But if I made a list of my 100 favorite movies of all time, it wouldn't be on the list. Double Indemnity definitely would be somewhere in the top 25. 

On 22/07/2023 at 03:30, Your Mom said:

Like once I got past the agreeing to commit murder because you liked the look of someone's ankle this was another really great one. My favorite character was a bit of a side character again. It was Keyes the guy who was working the insurance case. He was sort of a Columbo before Columbo type guy and I really enjoyed him.

I normally don't like when the movie starts at the end and a character tells you the story but I had enough questions that I was still with it until the end and was actually still wrong about part of it. So we are officially back on track with good movies! Not sure what's up next.

1. 12 Angry Men (1957)
2. The Maltese Falcon
3. The Third Man
4. The Searchers
5. Network

6. Casablanca 
9. Citizen Kane
10. Double Indemnity 

Funnily enough, I watched Double Indemnity for the first time about three days ago. Loved it. I also was a big fan of Keyes in particular as a character.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2023 at 03:30, Your Mom said:

1. 12 Angry Men (1957)
2. The Maltese Falcon
3. The Third Man
4. The Searchers
5. Network

6. Casablanca 
9. Citizen Kane
10. Double Indemnity 

Double Indemnity is part of the Film Noir genre, it's my favourite of that era, but there's a bunch of other great movies if you like this style. You've already see The Third Man, but I'd recommend Out of the Past, Gilda, The Lady of Shanghai and Force of Evil if you're looking for me. Touch of Evil is also incredible, other than Heston's casting as a Mexican. 

Edward G. Robinson (who plays Keys) is one of my favourite actors of that era. If you want to see more of him, I'd recommend Key Largo (he plays the villain opposite Boggart and Bacall), Little Caesar and The Stranger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's ashamed that it took a death but out of respect for William Friedkin I just watched The French Connection

It was a lot. I mean like I felt like I was on the streets with these men trying to make the bust. Some of the back and forth in this one were so intense I almost couldn't take it. After watching his buffonery in the Superman movies I was reminded of what Gene Hackman could really do with some proper material. Wild car chase sequences and intense action just added to a really well done movie. The ending made me furious but what can you do when you are going off of a true story?

1. 12 Angry Men (1957)
2. The Maltese Falcon
3. The Third Man
4. The Searchers
5. Network

6. Casablanca 
9. Citizen Kane
10. Double Indemnity
11. The French Connection

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

It's ashamed that it took a death but out of respect for William Friedkin I just watched The French Connection

It was a lot. I mean like I felt like I was on the streets with these men trying to make the bust. Some of the back and forth in this one were so intense I almost couldn't take it. After watching his buffonery in the Superman movies I was reminded of what Gene Hackman could really do with some proper material. Wild car chase sequences and intense action just added to a really well done movie. The ending made me furious but what can you do when you are going off of a true story?

Go watch the sequel ASAP. John Frankenheimer directed it instead of William Friedkin (who sadly died yesterday), but its a a continuation of the story. Completely new cast, except for Hackman and Rey.

But avoid the tv movie with Ed O'Neill. It was a busted tv pilot, and its surreal seing the actor best known as Al Bundy play Doyle.

• 1 month later...

I think the only Charlton Heston movies I've seen really are Planet of the Apes and Touch of Evil.

I can't recall the former very well. He's fine in Touch of Evil but I honestly forgot he was in it until just now. I only really ever think of Welles and Janet Leigh.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I can not for the life of me understand the appeal of Charlton Heston. He is a horrendous over actor in every movie I've seen him in.

He's done a handful of good ones, but most have been good due to other cast members.

Ben-Hur (he won an Academy Award!)

The Greatest Show On Earth

Major Dundee

The Omega Man

(I actually have an idea, if someone is willing to do it: Go watch The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man, and I Am Legend, and report back what you think after each movie, then what you thought of all 3 overall once done. They're all based on Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. No major spoilers, but the movie I Am Legend has a somewhat important change from the book.)

On 15/08/2023 at 22:44, million$$man said:

A year ago I watched 100 movies that I had never seen before. 

The Lady Vanishes (1938) by Alfred Hitchcock was brilliant.  The opening sequence is a masterclass in cinematography, especially when you consider it was 19 freaking 38. 

I highly recommend it.

I adore The Lady Vanishes. So, so good. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone watched Paths of Glory? its a Stanley Kubrick movie starring Kirk Douglas, set during WW1 and about the French military. I won't give the plot away, but its sadly based on a true story. 

I can't decide whether it or Dr. Strangelove is my favorite black & white Kubrick film, but I've seen Paths a few times more.

7 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

You know I've never seen that despite having gone through a big wave of watching a lot of the staunchly anti-war canon.

Just going to say this: After watching the movie, I was a lot more sympathetic to the French troops, but not so much the officers.