Franchise Fatigue

Your Mom

10 hours ago, FLiam said:

I’m still waiting for the day they reboot Back to the Future and milk it for all its worth. That will depress me.

Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale co-own the rights to it, and both have said there will be no reboots while they are alive

Director Robert Zemeckis and writer Bob Gale share the film rights to Back to the Future. Zemeckis has made it clear that there will never be a reboot, stating, "That can’t happen until both Bob and I are dead. And then I’m sure they’ll do it, unless there’s a way our estates can stop it."

Gale says he's been approached countless times in the past with studios offering large amounts of money to relinquish the rights, but Gale says he's already "made a lot of money" and remains adamant that the hit movie franchise has run its course. Officially, a new movie can't ever happen without the permission of Gale and director Robert Zemeckis, however, as the two actually had it written into their contracts with Universal that no new Back to the Future movie can be made without them giving it the greenlight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

John Wick 4: I'm sure John will be fine and his dog will probably be fine. Why am I bothering?

Hide contents

I stand corrected! :lol: Great movie but I really do hope it ends there

They are already working on spin-offs. There is a prequel mini series premiering in September about the Continental hotel and a young Winston that is also starring Mel Gibson of all people and a spin-off movie set between John Wick 3 and 4 about one of those Ballerina assassins they introduced in part 3. You better believe that they'll try to milk this franchise for all that it is worth.

Spoiler

But I also hope that as far as main movies go they won't make another one and Wick remains dead. I really hope that Keanu doesn't go down the Liam Neeson route where they have to make a million cuts in every action scene to hide that the dude is in his 70s.

• Like 1

4 made a lot of money so they already have 5 in development. It'll be awhile, though. Reeves and Stahelski already said they were going to take a lengthy break regardless. And what shape it takes remains to be seen. 

16 hours ago, livid said:

4 made a lot of money so they already have 5 in development. It'll be awhile, though. Reeves and Stahelski already said they were going to take a lengthy break regardless. And what shape it takes remains to be seen. 

I'm not going to lie I would absolutely take the money too but I really wish there was a way to make people leave things alone when they have perfect ending points. Like it's easy to tell people to do it for the art when it's not your money so I wouldn't do that but man they are going to ruin it :( 

• Like 1

If something like Possession were made today you'd absolutely see vultures trying to force that into its own sprawling franchise. Instead, we just have the perfect break-up movie with one of the greatest acting performances in history unsullied by years of diminishing returns.

There's such an artistic value in not letting money meddle with decision-making.

Back to the Future did the sensible thing and made a musical.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the sensible thing, but it's about a thousand times better than a music (or reboot) of that franchise should ever have been. I still have absolutely no idea how they pulled that off.

I think the Mission: Impossible franchise has handled this perfectly.  Everything up to Fallout was a stand alone film, each one ends up accessible to new audiences, and if there is something you need to be reminded about a character, it gets covered pretty quickly.  But most importantly, the films haven't been getting cranked out every two years.  Be it from creative disputes, Tom Cruise being an in demand actor, or most recently due to the pandemic, the films all have a decent gap of time in between them.  So the films don't feel like they are being churned out, and the franchise doesn't feel like its been left for dead, waiting for Hollywood to dredge up its corpse to see what else it can extract.   That allows them to now do a big two part finale release in back to back years without feeling like we've seen too much.

The fact that everything after MI3 has been like fun cinematic candy certainly helps too.  The price of all this is that its kind of weird, after nearly 20 years of this franchise, to know next to nothing about a character like Luther Stickell.

• Like 1

The weird thing for me is that it felt like ages between the first two (to the extent it almost felt the first would be standalone) then not long til the 3rd, and the rest are getting churned out fairly quickly. In actual fact it was only 4 years between the first 2, and all the others bar Rogue Nation/Fallout had bigger gaps. I can only presume this is due me being old and time moving incredibly rapidly as I rapidly approach the grave. Convinced I've overtaken Tom Cruise already.