Country Music

GhostMachine

It was my Grandmother's favourite type of music was country and western.

She had quite the collection of music record's and cassette tapes from most country singers since the 1950s to about 1990. Don Williams was her personal favourite. In a sense I think it was passed onto my brother. He often enjoyed country and western music, listening to countless radio hours of it on some station's on a Sunday.

He requested it to be a song at her funeral in 2019. So it again sparked an interest in listening to some of it again for myself after her funeral, along with his own. 

I quite enjoy some of the music now from the known performers. Don Williams, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Jim Reeves and Johnny Cash. 

I wouldn't say it is my personal genre of music, same be said for my Father's interest in it too, along with memories of Irish Folk music and Irish Country and Western he loves. Usually a farmer singing about either a tractor or a woman. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

It was my Grandmother's favourite type of music was country and western.

She had quite the collection of music record's and cassette tapes from most country singers since the 1950s to about 1990. Don Williams was her personal favourite. In a sense I think it was passed onto my brother. He often enjoyed country and western music, listening to countless radio hours of it on some station's on a Sunday.

He requested it to be a song at her funeral in 2019. So it again sparked an interest in listening to some of it again for myself after her funeral, along with his own. 

I quite enjoy some of the music now from the known performers. Don Williams, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Jim Reeves and Johnny Cash. 

I wouldn't say it is my personal genre of music, same be said for my Father's interest in it too, along with memories of Irish Folk music and Irish Country and Western he loves. Usually a farmer singing about either a tractor or a woman. 

The first country concert I ever went to was Kenny Chesney (with a then unknown Brad Paisley as one of the opening acts) back in 1999 or 2000, and She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy is my jam. He peformed it twice. Second time as the encore. (Band was breaking in a new fiddle player, and they aced it.) I still have the Kenny Chesney cap I bought, and wear it when I'm not in the mood to wear a sports team cap or driver hat, and one with mesh is a no-go due to possible rain. The other opening act was a group called Yankee Gray, who didn't last long. They had mic issues during their part of the show.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest country music fan these days. Most of what I do listen to is 90s and earlier, Brad Paisley's Mud on the Tires is a rough stopping point of my fandom. When I do listen to country these days its pre-Faith Tim McGraw, Clint Black, and Charley Pride. Still listen to a lot of Statler Brothers because they were my mom's favorite group and admittedly had a lot of really good stuff.  Can't really stand most modern twangy pop country. 

For the record I'd appreciate if you didn't besmirch the good name of Conway Twitty. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2023 at 15:08, GhostMachine said:

Any thoughts on any of the songs released so far from Dolly Parton's "Rockstar"?

I'm about half way through the album now. It's OK. I liked "Open Arms." Pink sounded great on "Can't Get No." "Night Moves" was good as well. Her voice just doesn't work with some of the songs 

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

I'm about half way through the album now. It's OK. I liked "Open Arms." Pink sounded great on "Can't Get No." "Night Moves" was good as well. Her voice just doesn't work with some of the songs 

"Magic Man", "Wrecking Ball" and "Bygones" are pretty good, but I didn't care for "Whats Up?" or "World On Fire". ("World On Fire" is not a particularly good song.) That's all I have heard so far, but "Baby I Love Your Way" , "Either Or", and "Stairway To Heaven" will likely be the last songs I listen to. (The first is one of the most overplayed, overrated songs of all time. Do not want to hear the fake Trump-lover Kid Rock. As for the last, I'm kind of sick of Lizzo.) 

Will probably listen to "Open Arms" next. I know Steve Perry wasn't Journey's original lead singer, but without him or Gregg Rolie, I consider them a cover band.

Dolly already did a cover of Stairway to Heaven on "Halos & Horns" back in 2002, and it's a much better version than this one. 

Most of the album doesn't really work for me, though I haven't listened to all of it yet. Wrecking Ball is good, and Bygones is the closest to what I hoped the album would be, in terms of Dolly doing actual rock music, but the rest feels a bit gimmicky.

Definitely feels more like a karaoke album then a covers album. I enjoyed most of it. Couldn't stand "Stairway to Heaven" or the one with Kid Rock. Enjoyed the song about Elvis, "Let it Be" and "Bygones." For being a passion project with the story behind it, it was good overall.

I actually really enjoyed this album, I bought it on Vinyl this week after listening to it a few times. Some songs are certainly better than others, and I agree her voice doesn't always fit some of the tunes... 

What's Up was pretty good, and she gave it enough of a twist to fit a woman of her age vs the angst of a 25 year old singing it. 

Wrecking Ball is also a really good cover. 

Don't Let The Sun Shine Down On Me is one of my favourite tracks, easily, and I also really enjoyed I Dreamed Aout Elvis... that's a fun throwback to the origins of Rock and I quite like it. Tried To Rock and Roll Me with Melissa Ethridge is also a really good son and they compliment each other really well. Rockstar is a good new track, Heart of Glass, Satisfaction, My Blue Tears, Heartbreaker, and Let It Be are standouts for me that I really really like. 

I didn't realize Jolene was done with Maneskin, and it's a download exclusive sadly, but I'll have to look it up. I enjoy that band a lot and I'm curious how that played out.

• 2 months later...

Toby Kieth passed away yesterday, age 62 from stomach cancer. Toby's hit "How Do You Like Me Now?" is what got me into country music and I saw him in concert 5 years in a row. He was a major part of me growing up. Say what you will about his views and how his music was the last decade or so, but this one hurts.

• Sad 1