Starfield

Paton

I lost about 3 hours because that's how long I had been working on the last mission but I couldn't take it anymore and after some reading it turns out I already have the best stuff that questline gives you anyway. Maybe I'll come back to it when I'm done with literally everything else just so I can say I finished it but right now I need to skip it so I remember that I don't actually hate this game

I doubt you'd get much out of the good parts of it and would just despise the bad, and it's not like the Freestar Rangers where you get something genuinely invaluable out of it. I'd just skip it.

Belatedly, I guess the one thing you really get out of Ryujin that might be useful in other times you need to use stealth is a mission gives you access to Manipulate, a high-level social skill, regardless of how many points you've put into that branch. The mission that comes after it would absolutely infuriate you, though.

The order in which I've done things and what I've chosen to do or not do has completely taken a crowbar to the game's sense of immersion (spoilers for the main plot and the Freestar Rangers plot:)

Spoiler

So I've basically never gone out and done things with Sarah as a companion. It was pretty much always Barrett, Andreja, or briefly Sam. But I decided "ah, what the hell, Sarah isn't really a character I find compelling but Barrett's dead and I've spent a ton of time with my snake-worshipping space wife. Let's see what I get out of her." So I'm now getting some of Sarah's conversations, and in them there are dialogue options about Barrett, as though he's still alive. The game apparently didn't account for the idea that I wasn't going to keep her around once I finished the mission where her presence was mandatory.

We're doing the mission where you go to Fancy Resort Planet and have to deal with the colonists who traveled 200 years to get there. Given that I'm playing my character like she's basically a mercenary with a conscience, I go the "let's buy them a grav drive and get them the hell away from this shitty CEO" route. This takes me to speak with an engineer at... HopeTech. HopeTech, of course, is pivotal to the Freestar Rangers plotline and in it I took the choice of getting into a fight and killing the founder and CEO of that company because he broke a whole lot of laws to crush the common man under his boot.

So we land and head to the HopeTech office, and Sarah -- blissfully unaware that Ron Hope is a prick and also is dead, which feels like it would be pretty major news -- talks about how Ron Hope is a bit of a dreamer but ultimately means well. And then we enter the lobby and two HopeTech guards apparently remember that I killed Ron and his assistant and his security so they open fire on us and Sarah kills both of them. And then I go make a deal with the engineer without any incident whatsoever, and no other security starts anything. OK!

• Haha 1

Just finished the Freestar Rangers plotline today, t'was enjoyable. But I think I might be done with Starfield for now. I've done the main mission, no interest in doing the NG+ (since it seems the point is to just level up and get higher level stats), and did every faction but UC. If anything, playing this has made me want to pick up Cyberpunk again after the 2.0 update and DLC. 

Think I might be done with the game for a bit because the "Bethesda Jank" is just killing me.

Loaded up my exit save from last night, go to fast travel off the planet I'm on and it...reloads the planet I'm on.  Try again, same thing.  So I decide to just get in my ship.  Walk to the landing spot on my map...no ship.

Reload save...no ship

Alt-F4 and reload the earlier save...NO FUCKING SHIP.

I had to load a save that was 45 minutes earlier then the exit save just so my ship would appear.

So I get in my ship, go to The Key to unload my contraband and other crap since its the best place, with all the merchants in a small area.  Sell all my shit, go to do some upgrades on my ship (a Spacer Hyena), but its not named Spacer Hyena, its named UC Navy A Cargo (or Cargo A, not sure).  I do the upgrades and leave, get in my ship...and now I'm floating in space.  Reload a save thinking "Well I sprinted to it, maybe it didn't have time to load in". so now I walk to it.  SAme thing, get in ship and I'm just floating in space.

So now I reload a save from before I docked with The Key and instead go to New Atlantis.  Land and...well there is no ship on the landing pad.  I go to the guy, make The Frontier my home ship and its shows up.  Make my Hyena home ship and...no ship.  Get the Frontier again and its there, get the Hyena again and its not.  Ask for the Frontier again, it shows up, swap out for the Hyena and it finally fucking spawns in!  But now I"m afraid to get in it because, well other times, I just spawned floating and couldn't do anything.

I also have 2 missions I can't finish because

1.  The ECS Constant isn't where the map is showing it to be, orbiting that resort planet

2.  Pressing E to start dialog with the tree scientist guy does nothing after I collected his sensors.  He just responds with 2 or 3 lines of generic dialog but does nothing to end or advance the mission

Think I'm going to wait for some patches before I go on

• Sad 1

Not sure how to label this without spoiling it but if you've completed the main story can you answer this for me please

Spoiler

Will the game give me a warning when I need to get back for Sam's funeral? I don't want to miss it but I never pay attention to the in game clock. Should I just go back there and wait to be safe?

25 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Not sure how to label this without spoiling it but if you've completed the main story can you answer this for me please

Hide contents

Will the game give me a warning when I need to get back for Sam's funeral? I don't want to miss it but I never pay attention to the in game clock. Should I just go back there and wait to be safe?

I think there is an option...

Spoiler

...in the Lodge to just wait for the funeral to start. That way you don't need to worry about it. I just can't remember where you go - maybe to your bed?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Hide contents

...in the Lodge to just wait for the funeral to start. That way you don't need to worry about it. I just can't remember where you go - maybe to your bed?

This is what I did. Didn't want to miss, so I just slept until it was time. During it though my finger slipped and I threw a grenade at someone who was talking...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ruki said:

This is what I did. Didn't want to miss, so I just slept until it was time. During it though my finger slipped and I threw a grenade at someone who was talking...

It's what [insert deceased person's name here] would have wanted...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toe said:

Reveal hidden contents

That worked! I set the mission to active and it showed me exactly where to go

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

But now I think I might be screwed. I have the location of the final artifact but the planet says Level 75 and I am only level 43 and I don't see anything else to do. I aint grinding 30 levels my dudes. It's just not happening

If you're following the main mission, you're ok. I never paid attention to the planet levels, I finished the game at like level 35. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/09/2023 at 10:05, Your Mom said:

Cool! I'll try it today but it sounds like it should go fine. I've failed at ship combat a lot but only died on the ground like a handful of times so I'm pretty confident

It did go fine! I finished last night

Spoiler

I actually persuaded The Hunter not to fight. I admit I was a little disappointed it actually worked since that meant no end boss fight but it was actually kinda cool that I had the ability to just talk him out of the big fight :lol: 

After about 400 hours I'm ready to close off my first playthrough. I think I've done just about everything the character that I'm playing would do - and that saves a few quest lines for a second playthrough with a different style, so I'm good with that.

Late main mission spoiler-light (nothing specific just a funny note)

Spoiler

During one of the back-end main story missions, where a lot of big stuff has gone down and I'm rushing everyone to the ship to get away as quickly as possible - I hop in the ship, everyone's begging me to take off and just as the cut scene goes to show my ship taking off from a very tense situation?

Adoring Fan: "WHEEEEEEE!"

• Haha 2

well I needed to cheat and use console commands to spawn in a ship, because once again I loaded a save and my ship didn't spawn in, and there was no ship technician to call a new ship

So I started playing this, and I really should’ve started sooner. The various elder scrolls games didn’t do much for me as I’m not really into the whole swords & sorcery thing, but I’m enjoying this so far. It’s nice to be able to persuade folks out of a relatively big fight. Even if it kills some of the drama. 

• 2 months later...