Starfield

Paton

The bugs are starting to get to me. I just spend 30 minutes walking around the Key trying to find someone to start the mission. Dude was glitched off the map. I leave the ship, and then he starts a conversation with me when I'm fast traveling away through the ship.... so I don't even know what he's saying to me!

I have like 9 ships...upgrading targeting of so OP

I have one thats just named "Pirate Ship" but it doesn't have shielded cargo, so it kinda defeats the purpose...

I picked up a random sidequest, because I'm not a nice person, I decided to assassinate some people in the office to test out my new rank 4 stealth skills. One of them was a named person.

Continuing the mission, I meet another NPC who is having a phone conversation with that same person I just killed. My immersion is ruined!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Ruki said:

How do you get upgraded targeting?

Think its under the Tech branch of the skill tree.  At level 1, when your "locked on" at missile range, you can hit R (sorry, I'm on PC, not sure the button on XB) and enter targeting mode, which you can target the ships grav drive, shields or engines.  Take out the engines and you may be able to board the ship, kill the crew and take it.

I'm not sure what exactly causes it, one of the targets is tagged GRAV, which I think is the grav drive but I'm not sure, but sometimes when boarding the ships, the fight is in zero gravity, which is fun as hell.  Firing your gun pushes you back a little bit.  Its a little chaotic but so much fun

Edit:  To pilot some ships, you need to level up your piloting skill.  You can do a LOT of leveling your tech skills in the MAST simulator

https://kotaku.com/starfield-ship-increase-skills-level-up-pilot-simulator-1850834218

Think I finished up with Ryujin. Final mission...

Spoiler

Was hilarious because I was trying to commit to playing full stealth and manipulating people but then I accidentally trapped myself into either restarting the mission entirely or reloading at a save where someone was going to set off the alarm and so after multiple failures (fuck the Novablast Disrupter, what a shit gun and I keep forgetting to either replace or mod it) I just ended up going in hot and killing off like 80% of Infinity LTD security. Was curious if that would actually end in like a big mission failure when I got back to Ryujin but no, it's just kind of like how on The Office (US) Ryan didn't have a reputation for anything and then he fucked up one time and was the Fire Guy.

(Except my fire was lots and lots of murder.)

• Haha 1

On 20/09/2023 at 04:00, Lint said:

Think its under the Tech branch of the skill tree.  At level 1, when your "locked on" at missile range, you can hit R (sorry, I'm on PC, not sure the button on XB) and enter targeting mode, which you can target the ships grav drive, shields or engines.  Take out the engines and you may be able to board the ship, kill the crew and take it.

I'm not sure what exactly causes it, one of the targets is tagged GRAV, which I think is the grav drive but I'm not sure, but sometimes when boarding the ships, the fight is in zero gravity, which is fun as hell.  Firing your gun pushes you back a little bit.  Its a little chaotic but so much fun

Edit:  To pilot some ships, you need to level up your piloting skill.  You can do a LOT of leveling your tech skills in the MAST simulator

https://kotaku.com/starfield-ship-increase-skills-level-up-pilot-simulator-1850834218

GRAV stops them from jumping away when they’re losing. It’s the ENG that you need to disable to board, I have some weapons that don’t do physical damage specifically so I can board ships.

First undercover pirate mission

Spoiler

I convinced the medical ship to kill the Pirate. I thought it was the best option since it meant I didn't have to kill the crew. This was a very video game way for me to think. Bosses weren't happy with me and that crew who was forced to beat one of their own to death is probably pretty messed up too :P 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I did that as well and the first time he managed to kill the captain of the ship before dying and I had to savescum my way out of that because that felt too grotesque for what I also thought was the less-evil option.

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I was able to talk them into dropping him at the next possible chance, the Eclipse was going to pick him up and put him in holding until my undercover mission was done. No one had to die, and the pirates were none the wiser.

I have so many ships because I've captured them and its really not worth selling them.

Yeah they have really managed to duplicate the used car market. Ships are way expensive and you get nothing for your trade in.

I was going to buy a new ship for like 500K because it had bad ass weapons and a huge cargo hold. I'm glad I did a little research first though because it's a class C ship and I can't fly those yet. I'd also be broke so that's probably a bad idea right now

I realized... in a game all about exploring the universe, I don't feel like I'm exploring or stumbling across a lot of things. It feels like a lot of fast traveling between locations. Whereas in Skyrim or Oblivion or Fallout, you're walking everywhere and coming across things, which isn't really an option in this it feels like. 

Also, I feel I am getting close to the end of the main quest line. 

I feel like I've stumbled across a bunch of things early on in the cities but not on planets. Of course, I'm also basically not really engaging with that side of the game beyond what I absolutely have to. No outposts or anything like that.

12 hours ago, Ruki said:

I realized... in a game all about exploring the universe, I don't feel like I'm exploring or stumbling across a lot of things. It feels like a lot of fast traveling between locations. Whereas in Skyrim or Oblivion or Fallout, you're walking everywhere and coming across things, which isn't really an option in this it feels like. 

Also, I feel I am getting close to the end of the main quest line. 

I agree, I am enjoying the game but find the forced menu navigation a bit of a joy-killer. I'm not as into space fights or mining procedurally-generated land areas as this game wants me to be, sadly.

My girlfriend went on Fallout yesterday and it reminded me how fun it is to just stumble across random stories or enemies. I definitely haven't been able to do that in Starfield outside of the few cities you go around.

• Like 1

One thing that is jarring is the fact that the science outposts etc are all exactly the same.

Same layout, same enemy positions, same loot, same dead scientists.

I like the game itself when I’m actually doing something but everything in between is a pain. So many menu’s, shit inventory system, the spaceship flying seems almost pointless, the walking five minutes to a random landmark on a planet only to find out there’s nothing there than a couple of loot items. It’s all a chore and you waste so much time in between actually doing anything.

The crafting system is overly complex too, having to research things and then go across to another station to actually mod weapons etc. The skill tree is a massive step back from any Bethesda game too.

Whilst I enjoy the stories and the gunplay, overall it has been a massive disappointment for me. 

I’m not convinced I’ll complete it - I will more than likely end up back on the Yakuza series to fill my Xbox time.

• Like 1

I mostly love the skill tree, though only getting to add a point after each level does feel slightly stifling after a certain point in the game. Would have liked some sort of milestone system to get bonus skill points.

I get the strong impression that this is going to be another one of those games that ultimately will reward the people who stayed away from it for a year or two while the devs continue to flesh it out and tweak things that don't work, a la Cyberpunk 2077 or, well, Fallout 76.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doing the Ryujin stuff and I fucking hate it. Forced stealth has always been stupid and fucking frustrating. The worst part is I'm in too deep to just quit now. I tend to overwrite my old save so I'm not sure how much progress I would lose. It looks like a lot. Is this questline even worth finishing?

Did I mention I fucking hate it?