The worst film remakes

ROC

Credit: news.bbc.co.uk

Get Carter is 'worst film remake'

Get Carter, starring Hollywood action man Sylvester Stallone, has been voted the worst movie remake of all time.

The classic original, starring Michael Caine, was moved from 1960s Newcastle to Seattle for the 2000 remake.

Film fans were also left unimpressed by the remake of Alfie - a role also made famous by Caine.

Alfie - starring Jude Law - came sixth in the Top 10 Worst Remakes poll, carried out by DVD rental firm ScreenSelect.co.uk.

"Time after time, remakes fail to sparkle like the originals," said Alex Chesterman, founder of ScreenSelect.co.uk.

"The rehashed productions trade off fond memories of much-loved films.

"This poll is an indication that remakes can't compare with films which were classics of their time.

"It also proves you just can't beat Michael Caine," he added.

Second in the poll was Gus Van Sant's attempt to remake the Alfred Hitchcock horror Psycho for a new audience.

Thunderbirds movie was third, followed by Bridget Fonda thriller The Assassin - a remake of the cult film La Femme Nikita.

Other films to make the top 10 were Charlie's Angels - starring Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu - and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

The poll of 2,000 film fans also showed they preferred the Frank Sinatra original of Ocean's Eleven than the George Clooney and Brad Pitt update.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

As far as remakes go, Get Carter isn't that bad, I like the original and I usually hate remakes that take a british film and make it American, but had I never seen or heard of the original I'd rate the remake as alright.

Why Italian Job isn't at the top is beyond me, I mark for Ed Norton, but I mean come on, this movie is like the theatrical version of AIDs.

EDIT: And the recent Oceans 11 is quality, where as the original is fucking rubbish, its probably rated highly because of Frank Sinatra, who cares if it stars a dead legend, that doesn't stop it being a big pile of junk...

Edited by muddatrucker

I never understood what people liked about the original Ocean's 11, that movie was nothing but a vacation for the Rat Pack. It was one big party for them. I don't know why that's Sinatra's most famous role when he had countless other performances that were amazing. Sinatra was the fucking total package, acting, singing, overall performing, he was the man.

Worse remake ever has to belong to "Rollerball". Ok, granted the original is not James Caan's finest hour....but the remake it just the biggest peice of garbage this side of Battlefield Earth..which gets the worse Novel Adaptation of all-time by the way.

I wonder what the best remake would be....my vote would go toward either Oceans 11 or Dawn of the Dead. Oceans 11 was 100 times better than the original, and DotD is a great zombie movie, and a good job that didnt make the franchise look bad, as most remakes do.

Rollerball! Remake of doom as far as I'm concerned! The original was a classic!

They're remaking Assault On Precint 13 for some strange reason.

Other dodgy remakes:

The Italian Job

Taxi (Why rip-off Luc Besson's original and put in Queen Latifah?!?!? urgh)

The Grudge

Ring

When will you learn?! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!

I quite enjoyed The Avengers though...

Worse remake ever has to belong to "Rollerball".  Ok, granted the original is not James Caan's finest hour....but the remake it just the biggest peice of garbage this side of Battlefield Earth..which gets the worse Novel Adaptation  of all-time by the way.

A whole lot of horrible remakes outhere, but in my opinion:

-The Italian Job, flashy mini's can't bring this remake to life although Theron was pretty hot. Didn't they have to re-release twice?. The story sucked and what kind of a bad guy was Norton supposed to be?

and Ocean's Eleven, I think it was a great movie. Loook at the cast, got everybody in it. How much money they spent, I'm wondering... and I'm looking forward to Ocean's Twelve.

Gotta disagree with everyone who hates the original Ocean's Eleven. Yes, its not one of Sinatra's best performances, but its still a good film.

I do agree that the remake is better, but only because it expands the story, and because I like George Clooney. (Also, Carl Reiner was great in it)

I refuse to watch the Planet of the Apes remake, because I knew there was no way to better the original, and I'm glad I was right. So I can't comment on it.

I also haven't seen Get Carter, Rollerball or The Italian Job (remakes or originals) or Dawn of the Dead (seen the original, but not the remake), and I don't want to go see Alfie.

Least favorite remakes:

Psycho. Hitchcock > Gus Van Sant, and Anthony Perkins > Vince Vaughn. `nuff said.

The Assassin - La Femme Nikita was a lot better.

13 Ghosts. Yes, the original was a Grade-B (or worse) movie, and you never really got to see the actual ghosts, but the film was a lot more fun, and I thought it was better to leave what the ghosts look like to your imagination than to actually see them.

Haven't seen The House On Haunted Hill, but I've heard that it pretty much just borrows the name and a couple of elements from the original instead of being a remake. However, even if it was a pure remake, it would suck for one simple reason: ANY remake of a Vincent Price film will ALWAYS be inferior. Vincent Price is a legend.