First Images of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

Maxx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ringmaster

Not a big fan of Mars Attack. Frankly, it was kind of dull.

If this movie has the gothic feel of Scissor Hands, Batman 1 and 2 and Sleepy Hollow, it'll be great though. I think, and I do this in all cases of a remake, that you need to look at the movie on its own without constantly comparing it to the original. It's like that with Ocean's 11. Was the remake good? Yeah. Did it stack up to the original? Nope.

IMO, Depp will be good, but Gene Wilder owns the Willy Wonka role.

And IIRC, the book was darker in that Charlie's familly was way poorer. He really had issues with using the money he found in the streets to buy candy bars. Wonka also seems more evil for some reason. Maybe it's just Dahl's brilliant story telling.

I'm seriously missing the point where the book was this big dark scary tale of drugs and craziness. It seemed quite cheerful at the time. Dahl was an intelligent witty writer, but for me the film was a pretty faithful version of the book, all Wonkas inherent craziness was done superbly by Gene Wilder, and the Oompa Loompas were scary as hell. So how is the book darker?