Awesome.

MalaCloudy Black

So I was talking to my dad in the car a while ago. He asked if I heard about Dimebag and stuff, then after a bit of silence I asked him "You've seen Black Flag, right?" Yeah, he has.

Now that's cool.

But that's not all, oh no. I asked if he'd heard of Darby Crash & The Germs - not only had he heard of them, he'd seen them plenty of times. Along with X, Vicious Circle, and a ton of SoCal punk/hardcore bands in the late 70's and early 80's.

That is too fucking awesome. Way. too. awesome.

Um yeah, to keep this from being pointless; have you meet any celebrities or anything like that before? By 'celebrities' I'm largely asking if you've ever met someone from a band you idolize or really like, etc

Wow, X, Vicious Circle, and the Germs? The best I can say is that I have a tape with X on it, but that's about it. Do you happen to remember any of the other So-Cal bands he's seen? Maybe Battalion of Saints, The Adolescents, The Gears, The Controllers, The Dills, etc..?

About the closest to meeting a dude from a band I like is a fellow who works at a record store. He is the singer of a well known Detroit group called the "Bump n Uglies", and also is a tag team wrestler with another member of the band, they also Bump N Uglies as a tag team name. I think his name is Bubba McKenzie.

The name Bubba McKenzie sounds vaguely familiar.

And yeah, I think he may have mentioned the Dills. He listed off a bunch, and told me about the hall parties that bands held, that kind of stuff.

How envious I am of him. :P

I met Lars from Metallica last year at the Earls Court gig last year, and Rob walked past me backstage, so i'll count that as meeting him aswell.

And this is a bit unbelievable, and im sure i've mentioned it before, but i actually know Phil Campbell from motorhead (Yes, know, as in know personally, it was him that got me backstage for free at metallica.) His son is one of my best mates, so i guess im just lucky i guess. I've also met the rest of motorhead obviously and been backstage with Anthrax, but didnt actually meet any of them, they just happened to be in the room while we were meeting motorhead.

If you think that's impressive though, just think about how many people my m8 has met.

As far as celebrities...

I've met both Hollywood Hogan and Terry Bollea.

Here's how...

Hollywood Hogan in 1997 at the Largo (Florida) Rennisance Festival. He was there all in black (But no nWo clothes). Just enjoying himself. I call him Hollywood since it was such a public appearance.

And Terry Bollea because I was at Barnes and Nobels once, and he came into the store with his two sons. I didn't make a fuss, but I nodded at him and got one back.

I've met Ken Mattingly. Mattingly was an Apollo astronaugt portrayed by Gary Sinse in "Apollo 13". I met him when I was a little kid.

I met the guy that was "Uncle Freddie" in Fresh Prince.

I met the girl that was the black chick in "Star Trek First Contact"

I met the late Robert Urich...

OH YEAH....One I also forgot...

Bertie Higgins. Bertie was more or less a one hit wonder in the 80s with the song "Key Largo". I'm very good friends with his son. Bertie (and family) moved out to CA in 2003, but the man was cool.

I've also met a few pro sports athletes, the most notable I can think of being Tampa Bay Bucs LB Derrick Brooks. He wasn't a celebrity then, since the Bucs were still wearing those awful Orange uniforms.

That's all I can think of.

EDIT:

My dad used to insure one of the Steiner Brothers when we lived in Michigan. (Back in like 1988). I asked "Which One", and he said "The dumb one".

Well, that left me thinking. Who was the dumb Steiner Brother (this was in '93...)...Rick Steiner, acting like a dog, or Scott, who was pretty much smiling?

Come to find out, it was Scott Steiner. Now, my dad is not a small man (6'2, 240+, 54 Inch Chest). He said being in a room with Steiner was like being a sardine can (Since Steiner was big, even then).

Edited by themick

Um.. met Hogan at Fan Axxess.

Met NHL'ers Wade Belak, Dan Cloutier, Brian Gionta, and Brian Pothier at the OHSL practice sessions [which were held about 5 minutes from my house].

Met Lajon and Vinnie from Sevendust, Chad and Ryan from Mudvayne, all of Most Precious Blood, Tommy, and Kevin from Between the Buried and Me, all of Marilyn Manson [at a meet and greet], Walter Gretzky.

I've met a lot of wrestlers, however I don't know if they'd be considered celebrities.

EDIT:

My dad used to insure one of the Steiner Brothers when we lived in Michigan. (Back in like 1988). I asked "Which One", and he said "The dumb one".

Well, that left me thinking. Who was the dumb Steiner Brother (this was in '93...)...Rick Steiner, acting like a dog, or Scott, who was pretty much smiling?

Come to find out, it was Scott Steiner. Now, my dad is not a small man (6'2, 240+, 54 Inch Chest). He said being in a room with Steiner was like being a sardine can (Since Steiner was big, even then).

My Aunt works as a Title Insurance Closer or whatever for houses and shit, or whatever. Anyway. She lives in Atlanta and has closed for Rick Steiner, which she said he had legally changed to his last name...as in his legal last name is Ricksteiner." I laughed.

She also knows Marcus Bagwell. I was tempted to ask to meet him, so I could tell him I can relate to having full bottles of water thrown at your head :P.

EDIT: Oh, as far as names I've met. RVD, Bill Alfonso, and Nova. This was right after the closing of ECW, they came to work a show for the fed I was training with.

Edited by CakeSandal

I've met Paul Heaton of The Beautiful South, Sir Bob Geldof, Jools Holland, Charlotte Church, Lionel Richie, The Cheeky Girls and McFly....I only really had respect for the first three (and to a lesser extent Lionel), but McFly are really nice guys.

When Iron Maiden used to spend a lot of time in Jersey (around the time they were recording Piece Of Mind, IIRC, although Bruce Dickinson still spends a fair amount of time here) he went out with my girlfriend's Mum for a short amount of time, and my friend Matt once had a fencing match with him.

Whilst working on the Jersey Live Festival (which I missed out on due to my brother's wedding in England), a number of my friends met Razorlight, The Thrills, The Delays and a couple of other bands I don't remember.

My friend Tom Jordan got pulled up on stage by Karen O at one of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' first UK gigs, and got into an argument with Cedric from The Mars Volta/At The Drive-In whilst he was DJing.

My friend Aaron used to work for TotalRock Radio and once interviewed Kittie, and drank absinthe with Marilyn Manson and passed out on Twiggy Ramirez.

My friend Elvis J. Healey got into an argument with the lead singer of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster (one of his favourite bands) in Brighton when he tried to hit on Elvis J's girlfriend, but eventually ended up buying him a pint.

The local band Velofax that I'm kind of friendly with supported Beck, and some of them played as part of his backing band earlier this year, and local band MooG supported the Sex Pistols when they reformed.

I feel jealous.

Edited by Skumfrog

My Aunt works as a Title Insurance Closer or whatever for houses and shit, or whatever. Anyway. She lives in Atlanta and has closed for Rick Steiner, which she said he had legally changed to his last name...as in his legal last name is Ricksteiner." I laughed.

I thought it was the other way round? His surname was Rechsteiner, and that's how the gimmick name came about...

I assumed that she heard that his real name was "Rechsteiner" but misheard it as "Rick Steiner", thus assuming that he had changed his surname to his gimmick name...

I have met Comedian Lenny Henry and he was a good laugh and put on a smile after doing a three hour plus show just having a chair.

Believe it or not i used to live next door to Goldie (the guy with the Gold teeth in James Bond : The World is not enough) we used to play football in the backyard and i still pass his brother melvin a few times a day.

I have shook hands with Eminem who i respect but we didn't really speak so does that still count.

I met Dennis Lyxen from the (International) Noise Conspiracy, Refused and the Lost Patrol this summer, at the Warped Tour. He was a cool guy, who just seemed happy to be playing music for a group of people. In fact, he was quite modest about his success and who he was. Furthemore, I met the lead singer of Burlington, Ontario punk-band Jersey and had a conversation about how he liked the music business. Interesting and down to earth guy.

I met one of the founding members of the Dayglo Abortions as he played in this area with the band Maximum RNR {everyone should check them out}. I didn't realize until shortly after the show, when I researched them a little more and made the connection. I met a punk-rock legend, yo.

I met Canadian band, The Trews. They sucked and were really boring. Although, they did like my Ninja Turtle's Jacket.

I met Dave and Steveo from Sum 41. I talked to Dave about growing up in suburbia and Steveo was just... an asshole.