Bands You Should Know But Don't

Johnny Drama

I'm going to start with some who are more known. And who's stuff are easier to get hold of. Lots of you may already know who they are.

STRUNG OUT :

Official Website (Has 2 videos from songs on their 2002 album. An American Paradox. Razor Sex is pretty cool, have never watched the video though.)

(The Logo at the top of the sit is badass, even cooler than th one circa Element of Sonic Defiance. I hope they have t-shirts by the UK tour)

FatWreckChords : Thy have some MP3's up here. Not really their strongest stuff though)

Analog is from the new album and they're releasing a video soon for it. I'm sure they also used to have LuciferMotorcade up **shrugs** I'm not too fond of Ghost Town, Jackie O grows on you but ther est of TEOSD is so much better. Virginia Madison is pretty good as is Too Close to See, it's fast which makes it cooler. Alien Amplifier is hit and miss, sometimes I dig it, other times I don't

I just recommend you get some stuff by these, the amount of sound changes they've went through there's something you're probably going to like. Good lyrics, good guitars, good drums, the new bass player does his job (translation : is pretty shit), he isn't great but he hasn't given a chance to shine yet. IMO. Just check out stuff, try and buy The Element of Sonic Defiance, it might only be 24 minutes but it's a great listen. In fact all their albums are good, all have a mix of good songs and some not so good. On the new album (Exile in Oblivion), Anna Lee is probably the one shitty song. Wow I talked a lot there.

Against Me! : I couldn't find many MP3's. The official site is againstme.net but that has none as far as I can see. FatWreckChords has 1 song up Cliche Guevara (At the top)

They mightn't sound much on first listen but an awesome sing along band. Very much a get pissed and sing with your friends band. Reinventing Axl Rose is a great CD and even if you hate the band I recommend you get the "We're Never Going Home" DVD, some seriously funny shit. And if you like them, I recommend you get that and the new album that's out this year.

Pmx : High paced music. Seem talented for young'uns. Seem emo'ish in a way especially in the acoustic song. Have 3 songs on PureVolume (December Rained is the best IMO. Just takes a while to get going) The official site is www.pmxrock.com though it is currently down, but it's not down permenantly. It had about 5 or 6 downloads on it.

Skyline Collapse : Was really impressed the first time I heard them. http://www.purevolume.com/skylinecollapse

Their site is on their too.

I migh add more later, as you can tell by the last one I can't be assed anymore :shifty:

Edited by YI

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the bands might be well known well you are, some of these bands aren't well known in some other places. See: 36 Crazyfists, Strung Out, the first 2 bands I posted, etc etc.

Just because you know them, doesn't mean they're selling 1,000,000 copies of their albums and shit.

/forum/index.php?showtopic=15284&hl=nightwish">http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index....84&hl=nightwish

That thread has a load of reccomendations in. :)

Edit: Does anyone have their custom Launchcast radio thingy?

I was a bit sceptical when the first song it played was "Hey Ma" by Cam'ron (or someone, think it was Cam'ron...), but it has since redeemed itself :)

It's pretty good for discovering new bands.

Well, maybe not obscure bands, but ones you've maybe not heard a lot of (am I supposed to know who Soundgarden are already? :shifty:)

Edited by TheReilDeal

/forum/index.php?showtopic=15284&hl=nightwish">http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index....84&hl=nightwish

That thread has a load of reccomendations in. :)

Edit: Does anyone have their custom Launchcast radio thingy?

I was a bit sceptical when the first song it played was "Hey Ma" by Cam'ron (or someone, think it was Cam'ron...), but it has since redeemed itself :)

It's pretty good for discovering new bands.

Well, maybe not obscure bands, but ones you've maybe not heard a lot of (am I supposed to know who Soundgarden are already? :shifty:)

Launchcast is very good, but can be a little obscure when playing bands, with regards to your ratings.

And yeah, Hey Ma is by Cam'Ron.

Scars of Life

This is a band that people should check out. They are awesome, in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with any of their songs. I enjoy them all. If I was to pick a favorite? Maybe "Bullet With Your Name" and "Water In My Hands" are my two favorite songs from them. Check them out if you wish.

Edited by Fitzy

Against Me! : I couldn't find many MP3's. The official site is againstme.net but that has none as far as I can see. FatWreckChords has 1 song up Cliche Guevara (At the top)

They mightn't sound much on first listen but an awesome sing along band. Very much a get pissed and sing with your friends band. Reinventing Axl Rose is a great CD and even if you hate the band I recommend you get the "We're Never Going Home" DVD, some seriously funny shit. And if you like them, I recommend you get that and the new album that's out this year.

Scars of Life

This is a band that people should check out. They are awesome, in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with any of their songs. I enjoy them all. If I was to pick a favorite? Maybe "Bullet With Your Name" and "Water In My Hands" are my two favorite songs from them. Check them out if you wish.

Edited by Livid

http://www.slf.com/ - Stiff Little Fingers, Irish punk band who are cool as fuck.

Violent Delight - The websites not there anymore, I'm pretty sure they broke up but the album is awesome. Kind of pop punk stuff, not deep or meaningful or anything but a lot of fun. It's a bit expenive new, but used you can get for bargain prices. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...7475391-5183006

Zero Cipher - http://www.zerocipher.co.uk/ (IE Only) I don't know what kind of music they think they play, but it's awesome. Here's some reviews

"Impressively brutal, Zero Cipher are as slick as any of the big American bands… Genre bending metal - mix tangled fretwork and twisted beats with sweeping atmospherics... have ZC make you happy"

KKKK - Kerrang! Magazine

"Psycho, off the wall metal, vocal hooks, rampant drumming and DJ/tape-loop tomfoolery make you want to shake yourself until dehydration comes a-knocking..."

Rock Sound Magazine, September 2004

"Zero Cipher grind out dark hardcore with a disturbing emo tinge that'll make you realise why they're a standout band..."

Metal Hammer Magazine

Their album 45 Minutes of Fairytale Endings is awesome, it's a concept album and it tells a story all the way through. Excellent, I love it.

They're awesome live as well.

Anyone heard of Liquid Tension Experiment?

A song just came on Launchcast, and it rawks.

LTE is the side project of Dream Theater. It's basically just a prog instrumental band. I can't remember which members of Dream Theater are in LTE, but I know that they have 2 albums.

Chase Dabney - From the US. Kentucky/Louisville area I think. Came to live in Australia for six months or so and I saw him once or twice a week for pretty much that whole time. Amazing acoustic guitar soloist. No vocals and probably not for everyone but he can play as good as anyone I've ever heard. If you ever get the chance to see him live, definately recommended - plays over his head, sculling a whole beer... does guitar "lap dances"... very animated and totally gets into it. Here's a good description on him:

An acoustic guitar is such a simple instrument in nature. Often it is underestimated as a versitile instrument. Chase has been pushing the physical and sonic boundaries of the acoustic guitar with his first release Acoustic Sounds (independently released). With three countries under his belt, Chase has traveled the world playing an acoustic guitar like most have never seen. His performances win crowds of any age group and any musical genre.

http://www.chasedabney.com/

http://www.purevolume.com/chasedabney/music