Obscure Films You Liked

ROC

A few times, we've seen many films we've never heard of and it's surprisingly become a favorite of ours or at least likable, despite no one having heard of it.

One of these for me is a flick called 100 Girls. The basic story is that a man enters an elevator with an unknown woman he doesn't see in the face. Suddenly, the electricity goes out and the two talk and then have sex. When he wakes up the next morning,this mystery girl is gone, with only her panties left as evidence. So, he begins a search for this girl.

Sure, the plot is pretty cliche as well as the dialogue, but something well meaning drew me into it and by the later end of the movie it isn't half bad. Not to mention, James Debello is one funny bastard. If I ever get the chance, I'll probably watch it again.

So, what is your flick like this?

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few times, we've seen many films we've never heard of and it's surprisingly become a favorite of ours or at least likable, despite no one having heard of it.

One of these for me is a flick called 100 Girls. The basic story is that a man enters an elevator with an unknown woman he doesn't see in the face. Suddenly, the electricity goes out and the two talk and then have sex. When he wakes up the next morning,this mystery girl is gone, with only her panties left as evidence. So, he begins a search for this girl.

Sure, the plot is pretty cliche as well as the dialogue, but something well meaning drew me into it and by the later end of the movie it isn't half bad. Not to mention, James Debello is one funny bastard. If I ever get the chance, I'll probably watch it again.

So it's basically a form of Cinderella :huh:

I'd say Orange County, I'm not sure if it's "Obscure", but it certainly is a classic film that I don't hear enough about...

Shaun Brumder is a local surfer kid from Orange County who dreams of going to Stanford to become a writer and to get away from his disfunctional family household. Except Shaun runs into one complication after another starting when his application is rejected after his dim-witted guidance counselor sends the wrong application. So, Shaun goes to great lengths with a little help from his girlfriend Ashley and his drugged-out loser brother Lance to get into Stanford any way they see fit.

- IMDB

Jack Black at his funniest in this film and I swear you won't stop making references to the film with any friends you watch it with,

So it's basically a form of Cinderella :huh:

Guest Ringmaster

Session 9 is actually one of my favourite horror movies in the past few years. It reminds me a lot of The Shining in the way it's shot. Also, Caruso delivers the best, most quotable "Fuck you!" I have ever seen in a movie, or anywhere.

One of my more recent obscure movies that I loved was "Primer". I saw it at an art-house theater downtown, and it was seriously one of the best movies I've seen all year.

It's an independant movie that apparently only cost around $7500 to make (before post production, etc), which is awesome in and of itself.

Here's the website's synopsys:

"PRIMER is set in the industrial park/suburban tract-home fringes of an unnamed contemporary city where two young engineers, Abe and Aaron, are members of a small group of men who work by day for a large corporation while conducting extracurricular experiments on their own time in a garage. While tweaking their current project, a device that reduces the apparent mass of any object placed inside it by blocking gravitational pull, they accidentally discover that it has some highly unexpected capabilities--ones that could enable them to do and to have seemingly anything they want. Taking advantage of this unique opportunity is the first challenge they face. Dealing with the consequences is the next."

Can't really say too much more without absolutely ruining the movie, but it is seriously one of the better movies of 2004, and is highly recommended!

The Body

I've just never heard anyone mention it ever, and I've never heard anything about it.

An ancient skeleton has been discovered in Jerusalem in a rich man's tomb. Colouration of the wrist and leg bones indicates the cause of death was crucifiction. other signs, include a gold coin bearing the marks of Pontius Pilate and faint markings around the skull, lead authorities to suspect that these could be the bones of Christ. Politicians, clerics, religious extremists and those using terror as a means to an end, find their beliefs and identities test while risking their lives to unearth the truth

Plot summary from IMDB.com

I thought it was a really good film. It's was just on one night and I watched it. Thought it was really good.

It has Antonio Banderas and...um, the woman who played Mrs. Darling from Peter Pan. And a bunch of English guys.

Dirty Pretty Things an Urban thriller starring the girl from Amelie (Adurey Tautou(spelling is wrong, me thinks)). I watched it in a Sociology lecture. It was good. Next week I get to watch a documentary called The Corporation, sounds really good! :D

Apparently The Corporation is REALLY good. Matzat posted about it recently, and some of my mates saw it, and gave it glowing reviews.

I've seen that 100 Girls movie. It's pretty fucking awesome. I laugh whenever I think about the guy with the cock weights.

Another 'obscure' movie to check out is Ghosts of Mars. It's got Ice Cube, and the bitch from Species in it. Really fucking gorey, even though it's more of an Action Horror, than a Slasher movie. The only real complaint is that at times it's a little bit too CGI. If they could spray food die over a massive chunk of land to make it look 'mars like' then why the fuck couldn't they make the death scenes a little bit more lifelike. Other than that, I dug it just like I dig practically every other Ice Cube movie.

Even though it was on Comedy Central last weekend, a movie that a lot of people don't know about that I enjoy is Out Cold. It is kind of moronic but I find Zach Galifanakis very funny and overall the movie just works for me.

And for anybody who cares it is about a bunch of snowboard people who work in an Alaskan ski resort who have to fight back against the potential new owner, Lee Majors.

If you are talking about the Ghost World with Steve Buscemi, Scarlett Johannson, and Thora Birch in it. That's a good movie. Having HBO has allowed me to see many high quality under the radar movies as well as enough crap to last me a lifetime. All I have to say is that I saw "The Base 2: Guilty as Charged", "The Adventures of Pluto Nash", and "Rocky 5" within the course of a week. Why you ask? Look where I live.

Even though it was on Comedy Central last weekend, a movie that a lot of people don't know about that I enjoy is Out Cold.  It is kind of moronic but I find Zach Galifanakis very funny and overall the movie just works for me.

And for anybody who cares it is about a bunch of snowboard people who work in an Alaskan ski resort who have to fight back against the potential new owner, Lee Majors.