Music and Video Games

Mick

As the topic and topic description say.

All I ask is for original music, eg composed for the game.

Yes, the GTA: Vice City and San Andreas soundtracks (as well as other games out their) are awesome, but I'm thinking more along the lines before video games had actual real life songs in them.

Some of my favorites:

Contra (NES)

MegaMan (the series, NES)

Life Force (NES)

CastleVania 1 and 2 (NES)

Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

Shining Force (Genesis/MegaDrive)

Blaster Master (NES)

Metriod (NES)

Castlevania 2 for the NES has music that still sticks in my head to this day. And of course, the classic Zelda and Mario themes cannot be forgotten.

My favorite of all, however, is the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. It is one of the few scores that enhances the game, but is also fully capable of standing on its own as a seperate disc.

The soundtracks for Fallout 1 & 2 are great, Tactics isn't bad either.

Metal Gear and Resident Evil always bring good soundtracks as well.

I believe the only game soundtracks that caught my attention were the Silent Hill ones. Outstanding original soundtracks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just remembered, I also enjoyed the Guilty Gear XX's soundtrack very much.

Edited by Y2Johnny

A whole load of Mega Drive games really. It may not be of great use to be able to pick out a random piece of contemporary music and say "that tune sounds just like level 4 of Rocket Knight Adventures"...but I love doing it nonetheless. :shifty:

Newer games include the Metal Gear Solids, and the music for the the final time you face Seymour in FFX (the fourth time). It's just so awesome in its old-school gaming-ness that I can't help but love it. There are some other good FFX tracks ('Otherworld', for instance)...but admittedly most of it is garbage.

I bought the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack and love it like a mother, I'm also rather fond of the original Sonic The Hedgehog soundtrack, and the cheery acid trip eternal loop of the Alex Kidd In Miracle World soundtrack.

I demand each and every one of you heads over to http://www.ocremix.org NOW.

Well, the GTA games are a given (both the original soundtrack from the first four GTAs as well as the soundtracks to VC and SA).

But besides that, Street Fighter 2 Turbo. The stage music for guys like Balrog, Ken, Guile, Vega, and Ryu are classic, Balrog's in particular.

Also, I'd say PRIDE FC for PS2 because it had awesome entrance music, including a 36 Crazyfists tune.

I liked all of the backround themes used in the Streets of Rage series, 2 being my favorite. The music in the first stage of Pit Fighter (when you fight The Executioner) is also one that sticks out in my memory. The original music in Tecmo Bowl was also fantastic. It added to the drama of being chased by eight defenders while you ran for the end zone.

I liked all of the backround themes used in the Streets of Rage series, 2 being my favorite. The music in the first stage of Pit Fighter (when you fight The Executioner) is also one that sticks out in my memory. The original music in Tecmo Bowl was also fantastic. It added to the drama of being chased by eight defenders while you ran for the end zone.

Yesssss, how did I forget Streets Of Rage 2?! Utterly fantastic! Almost light lounge jazz as you knocked several shades of crap out of Galsia/Garcia over and over again. God, I loved that game.

• 6 years later...
Guest JukeboxHero

I was gonna make a new topic for video game music, but I found this one. It's old, but I'll use it. I love a good video game song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpyOkKWpCM

One of my absolute favorites. You'd never guess that a song like this came from a Mario game of all places. Just an epic piece.

I popped in Turtles in Time recently, so this one has just been stuck in my head. It really fits the game. Fun song.

Mirror's Edge.

I love the music in that game, it's perfect and fits with the way that everything about the look and sound of that game was different to the norm.

Really REALLY liking the new Deus Ex music right now. Sounds a lot like Tron.

Metal Gear Solid games.

Little Big Planet.

Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3 (even the intro music was brilliant - Chemical Brothers remix of Manic Street Preachers for 1, Cardigan's "Favourite Game" for 2 and Feeder's "Just a Day" for 3).

Hitman games used some Russian orchestra or something. They were great too.

:w00t: