NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

Guest Hit Man 3120

Then when exactly is it okay to fight in hockey? Were the shoe on the other foot and Tamapa Bay, obviously your preferred team, were down, would you condone fighting then?

No. Going around and intentionally starting fights when a game is over is pointless. It shows what is wrong with hockey and just puts a black eye on the game. What gets accomplished by picking a fight when your down 5-1 in the 3rd?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey is a passionate game. When you're in a situation with the adrenaline flowing and you're having a shitty day, you can get frustrated, and when you get frustrated and someone pisses you off, you want to beat their ass.

You're talking about fighting as if it was Chris Simon going up to St. Louis with a bat. It's players who are both into the heat of the moment and it boils over.

You ever heard of the need to blow off a little steam? </Limbaugh>

Besides, when you have a 4 goal lead, you like to boast about it. You can guarantee the fight was mutual.

No.  Going around and intentionally starting fights when a game is over is pointless.  It shows what is wrong with hockey and just puts a black eye on the game.  What gets accomplished by picking a fight when your down 5-1 in the 3rd?

I don't think this puts a black eye on hockey at all. It's completely normal. You ever heard of old time hockey? That's when they use to beat the shit out of each other for fun. And what gets accomplished when your down 5-1 in the 3rd and you start a fight is you send a message to the other team, send a message to your team and set the tone for the next game. The other teams gonna know you're not gong down without a fight and you send the message that your team better wake up.

No. Going around and intentionally starting fights when a game is over is pointless. It shows what is wrong with hockey and just puts a black eye on the game. What gets accomplished by picking a fight when your down 5-1 in the 3rd?

Are you an idiot? Do you even know anything about hockey? Or are you just someone who's gonna post pointless points? Guys fight late in one sided games to get their teams fired up, set the tone for the next game, retaliation for something early in the game when a stupid penalty earlier could've cost the game, etc...

And GYS, we'll agree to disagree. It was a freak accident and it was bad timing, but it doesn't change the fact that it could have been much more serious, and it could have been avoided.

Hits where a player is defenseless... the Bertuzzi hit on Moore, Moore's hit on Bertuzzi, Reghers shove on Fedtatenko... are incredibly dangerous, and should be avoided and an attempt made to deter them.

Anyway, game's starting.

It was a freak ACCIDENT.

Bertuzzi's hit on Moore was not an accident. Moore's hit on Naslund was not an accident.

Fedotenko slipped at the same time as Regehr pushed him into the boards. Not a hit from behind, just a freak accident - like you said [and then immediately rescinded by mentioning it in the same light as the other two examples].

Nieminen's hit on Lecavalier was a hit from behind.

Regehr's shoving-off on Fedotenko was a pure fluke accident.

Anyway, last night's game was pretty wild. Bulin made some great saves, as did Kipper. Bulin got lucky on a couple of shots, as did Kipper.

When Richards scored, two minutes into the first, the first words out of my mouth were.. "Oh, shit. We can stop watching now, because the game is over." I said it in total confidence, just hoping that I'd be wrong. Alas, I was not.

Obviously Bertuzzi's hit on Moore was not an accident. I said it was a headshot, which is what it was.

And Moore's hit on Naslund was very much an accident. Naslund slipped. Moore couldn't have known that when he leaped off his feet with his elbow out, but still. It doesn't chance the fact that the guy ended up on the ice with blood pouring out of his face.

Regher didn't know Fedtetenko was slipping. But that doesn't chance the fact that he ended up on the ice with blood pouring out of his face.

The hit by Nieminen on Lecavalier was both blatent and inexcusable. He deserves to have the rest of the playoffs as unpayed vacation for such a stupid hit. The worst part is that when you compare it to the three incidents I mentioned with the exception of Bertuzzi's punch none of them were deliberate, but you could pracitcally spot the twinkle in Nieminen's eye as he saw Lecavalier looking the wrong way.

And Moore's hit on Naslund wasn't a hit from behind either. It was just a freak headshot that could have and should have been avoided. When a guy slips you let up. When he's falling he has no way to defend himself, why not just let him fall? He takes himself out the play, all you have to do is skate past.

That and when Iginla (IIRC) held onto the puck too long on that last faceoff?

On a side note: I find it strange and a bit disgusted that ABC continues to whore out the NBA playoffs and advertising the finals - and doesn't do a whole lot on their coverage with the Cup here. The game ends, we get a commerical, about three minutes of announcer commentary, and a long promo whoring the NBA finals. Why?

Hockey needs promoting itself, NHL shouldn't step aside to be the NBA's bitch.

Edited by Lowerdeck

You know how to send a message?  Play better.  Get a couple late goals.  Dont just fight to fight

You know how you send a message?

Stop coming to EWB.

That will get the point across that you've finally realized how moronic you are, and you're tired of hoisting your stupidity upon those with a clue.

PS - Ville Nieminen was suspended for one game for the hit on Lecavalier. I'm suspecting that he was only suspended the game because he is a repeat game misconduct offender, which [in the NHL rule book] means that he must receive a MANDATORY one game suspension.

So really, it's all good. Except if you're Lecavalier.

Edited by grind your soul

1.) They did get a late goal.

2.) It's hockey, not fagsketball. You can't score as often as a Wallance ends up in jail, it just doesn't happen.

One game for Niemen eh? Well who over said Tucker was a good actor they should look at Laclavier.

I wanted to give him an Academy Award. It was close to being a blade job (Of course it wasn't, but work with my horrible metaphor here).

In any case, I still think Calgary will take the series in 6.

Edited by damshow

It was absolute bullshit that Nieminen was suspended for his hit, and Stillman wasn't. Complete and utter BULLSHIT.

And then Bettman had the nerve to tell Sutter that his comments were unnecessary...bullshit.

The referees aren't calling the games properly and players are getting hurt.

Marcus Nilson was hurt more than Lecavalier was, but because Vincent is a "star player" and also on an American team, the NHL board took action against Calgary's Nieminen...bullshit.

Marcus Nilson was hurt more than Lecavalier was, but because Vincent is a "star player" and also on an American team, the NHL board took action against Calgary's Nieminen...bullshit.

I'd think Calgary has a better fanbase than Tampa. I'm still doubting that many people care in the Bay Area. Where as in Calgary, almost everyone's wearing red at the games.

I'd think Calgary has a better fanbase than Tampa.  I'm still doubting that many people care in the Bay Area.  Where as in Calgary, almost everyone's wearing red at the games.

There's no denying the fact that hockey in Canada > hockey in America.

But that's why the league has been so shitty with officiating when involved with Canadian teams... I mean, how would it draw in American viewers, if the top team in the league was from Canada? It's a conspiracy.

I think Jay Onrait said the whole US rating thing perfectly:

So despite the declining ratings, the inevitable lockout, the fact that Brian Burke is currently not employed by an NHL team, there is still great reason for optimism about the state of the NHL in this country anyway. Oiler fans still hate Flames fans. Sens fans still hate Leafs fans. Everyone still ignores the NBA. All seems to be right in the greatest nation of hockey.

And Gaby brings up a point. 1993 the NHL doesn't want two Canadian teams in the finals so they tell Fraser not to call anything. Gretzky the high-sticks Gilmour and doesn't get a penalty so the Kings come back to win the game. No punishment for Gretzky and he scores 3 in game 7. Fraser blows. <_<

Tampa Bay still doesn't have a fan base, season tickets there were on par to 3 or 4 Leafs tickets and they had to include free beer to get people to go. The only reason they are going is they are winning if Tampa went back to losing Tampa's fan base would be cut by at least 30-40% where as in Canada every team has a loyal fanbase that stays with a winning and losing seasons. Other US teams have it too but Tampa doesn't.