• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

August 1, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rafael Palmeiro was suspended Monday for violating Major League Baseball's steroids policy, nearly five months after telling Congress that ``I have never used steroids. Period.''

Palmeiro two weeks ago collected his 3,000th hit, joining Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Palmeiro, 40, is the seventh and highest-profile player to test positive under the major league policy adopted earlier this year.

I just hope this stops him from getting to the Hall. I mean, he has the stats and has been a consistently good player, he needs to be there. Steroids or not, he MUST be there.

Plus, we all know that Bonds and McGwire will end there as well and I bet they had a lot more to do with steroids than Rafy.

I just hope this stops him from getting to the Hall. I mean, he has the stats and has been a consistently good player, he needs to be there. Steroids or not, he MUST be there.

Plus, we all know that Bonds and McGwire will end there as well and I bet they had a lot more to do with steroids than Rafy.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the Hall can't rightfully judge a player based on steroids. You can't say "This homer was due to steroids, and this one wasn't."

Plus, before Raffy became a good power hitter (Which if you want to say is when he started using steroids) he was a top notch contact hitter so the 3,000 hits probably would have happened anyway and gotten him into the Hall.

Bottom line though is that since you can't judge a player's whole career on one positive steroid test (What if he started using steroids, or took something that he didn't know contained a steroid just a few days before his test?) the stats should stand.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the Hall can't rightfully judge a player based on steroids. You can't say "This homer was due to steroids, and this one wasn't."

Plus, before Raffy became a good power hitter (Which if you want to say is when he started using steroids) he was a top notch contact hitter so the 3,000 hits probably would have happened anyway and gotten him into the Hall.

Bottom line though is that since you can't judge a player's whole career on one positive steroid test (What if he started using steroids, or took something that he didn't know contained a steroid just a few days before his test?) the stats should stand.

So you are saying that the Hall shouldnt judge the player based on steroids even though in many ways it is cheating. We dont know for sure how long he had been taking him wheather this week or for his entire career the point is he took them and in my mind it is cheating. He may not have been taking them his whole career but this will likely hinder his chances of getting in. Since like you said we dont know for sure which stats are from his skill and which are in part do to taking perfomance enhancing drugs.

There is no way to know how many HRs were the effects of steroids. Like Bonds he was a HOFer long before hitting any HR plateau. For all we know it could be a side effect of Viagara or something.

I read somewhere that some OTC's contain steroids. In fact, my allergy medicine I believe calls itself a steroid.

Remember the 2000 Olympics? The Gold Medalist gymnist, I forget here name, failed a drug test because of a cough medicine she took. A cough medicine. Bottom line is that you cannot judge and it is unfair to the players to disqualify them for a failed drug test that may be the result of something perfectaly legal that just happened to contain a substance used in certain anabolic steroids.

The only thing that could even be said against Palmerio about these "steroids" is, in my opinion, if he infact has been using them for a period of time, is to further his career by battling injuries during this later part of his career. I do not believe he has used them in a Jose kind of way, but if he has done them to battle injuries, that has allowed him to stay consistent to build these numbers.

Interesting stat from ESPN.......Palmeiro's HR per at bat since May are the best of his career.

That's rather interesting. Given that he had a dismal season last year it is quite possible he decided to try out the masking agent and steroids that I'm sure many other players still use.]

EDIT- I feel Jayson Stark summed up the Palmerio-HOF debate better than I could possibly do. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=2122193

Edited by damshow

At the end of PTI yesterday Tony Reali (Statboy if you will) brought up the interesting stat that he had something like 1 home run in his first 100ish at-bats and almost 20 in his next 250, hmmmmm. Whatever I knew the day would come where a big named superstar would get nailed for it. I just found it funny that the lead of every sport's show that night was Palmeiro's testimony in front of Congress. "I did not take steroids...PERIOD!" You just kept yourself from being a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame.

ESPN.com news services

Related Video:

Baseball Tonight covers the possibilities ESPN Motion

Rafael Palmeiro tested positive for the potent anabolic steroid stanozolol, the same substance Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson of Canada took in 1988, The New York Times reported on its Web site Tuesday night.

Palmeiro

Palmeiro

Johnson was stripped of a gold medal in 1988 after testing positive for that steroid.

According to a source with direct knowledge of baseball's drug-testing program, stanozolol, known by its brand name, Winstrol, was detected in the Baltimore Orioles first baseman.

"It's a mildly strong to strong steroid," Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor at New York University and an expert in sports doping, told the newspaper. "Potent is the word I would use."

On Monday, the 40-year-old Palmeiro was suspended for 10 days under the toughened major-league policy that took effect in March. Tuesday, Seattle Mariners pitcher Ryan Franklin was the eighth major-leaguer to be suspended for a positive test.

Palmeiro's suspension came five months after the player appeared before a congressional panel to dramatically deny he had ever used steroids.

While he didn't deny testing positive for the drugs, Palmeiro insisted Monday that ingesting them was an accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," he said during a telephone conference call. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

Without giving specifics, the four-time All-Star left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed. He said it was an "embarrassing situation" and still did not know what caused the positive test.

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. … I'm not a crazy person."

On July 15, Palmeiro joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Guest JoeyMadDogg

The way I look at it, its a sad day in baseball for someone such as a fan favorite as Palmeiro to test for steroids.

I feel cheated at this moment because the one guy that I feel has been taking steroids is Bonds, but yet since everyone says, "he has helped the world of baseball" they will stand by him and say he has not tested positive. The following reasons are to why I feel that Bonds took steroids.

1) Jason Giambi testified that he received steroids from Bonds' personal trainer and that Bonds' personal trainer had given Bonds steroids and he had been taking them.

2) Bonds' personal trainer pleaded guilty for distrubiting steroids to players.

3) Bonds' home run totals pretty much doubled in the season categories. How can someone who in his 20's and early 30's hit 20 to 30 home runs, but at 35+ years of age begin to hit 40,50,60+ home runs. That right there is signs of taking steroids. You are supposed to begin to suck as get past 35, not get better.

4) Look at him. Small head, squeaky voice, but big body. When you look at all the huge muscled players they have this masculine sound in their voice, but Bonds doesn't. He sounds like the biggest pussy in the world. That right there is yet another perfect example of him taking steroids.

And you know it must be pretty bad if a Hall of Famer even makes a statement that he took steroids. I'm talking about Reggie Jackson to MLB.com. As soon as I can find the interview again, I'll post it for everyone to read.

I hate Bonds as he is what I call a fan hater. He has it in his contract that he must be asked whether to be put in a video game or not, that right there is an asshole, a full blown asshole. I can not see how anyone can be a fan of him.

Guest Takayamanofear

The way I look at it, its a sad day in baseball for someone such as a fan favorite as Palmeiro to test for steroids.

I feel cheated at this moment because the one guy that I feel has been taking steroids is Bonds, but yet since everyone says, "he has helped the world of baseball" they will stand by him and say he has not tested positive. The following reasons are to why I feel that Bonds took steroids.

1) Jason Giambi testified that he received steroids from Bonds' personal trainer and that Bonds' personal trainer had given Bonds steroids and he had been taking them.

2) Bonds' personal trainer pleaded guilty for distrubiting steroids to players.

3) Bonds' home run totals pretty much doubled in the season categories. How can someone who in his 20's and early 30's hit 20 to 30 home runs, but at 35+ years of age begin to hit 40,50,60+ home runs. That right there is signs of taking steroids. You are supposed to begin to suck as get past 35, not get better.

4) Look at him. Small head, squeaky voice, but big body. When you look at all the huge muscled players they have this masculine sound in their voice, but Bonds doesn't. He sounds like the biggest pussy in the world. That right there is yet another perfect example of him taking steroids.

And you know it must be pretty bad if a Hall of Famer even makes a statement that he took steroids. I'm talking about Reggie Jackson to MLB.com. As soon as I can find the interview again, I'll post it for everyone to read.

I hate Bonds as he is what I call a fan hater. He has it in his contract that he must be asked whether to be put in a video game or not, that right there is an asshole, a full blown asshole. I can not see how anyone can be a fan of him.