Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Alright. So none of that worked, but I've talked the gf into getting Pokemon Black so I SHALL have my Conkeldurr! At the moment, I'm sitting on five badges and have just hit the sixth town (I forget what it's called right now). Here's what I've got:

Dewott (L31) - Fury Cutter, Revenge, Water Pulse, Razor Shell

Lilligant (L30) - Quiver Dance, Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Giga Drain

Gurdurr (L29) - Low Kick, Bulk up, Rock Throw, Chip Away

Darmanitan (L35) - Fire Punch, Flare Blitz, Headbutt, Belly Drum - worth mentioning for being the first Pokemon of mine to hit triple digits in any stat; also, on evolution, it's ability changed from Hustle (higher damage, lower accuracy, frustrating as hell) to Sheer Force (higher damage, no status effects on attacks with a chance of them, potentially AWESOME - 230 BP Flare Blitz/145 BP Fire Punch with his Attack? Yes please).

Zebstrika (L30) - Quick Attack, Thunder Wave, Spark, Flame Charge

Krokorok (L32) - Crunch, Dig, Bulldoze, Reassurance

yeah I also find Darmanitan really awesome so far. that and my starter and my only sure things. debating replacing Zebstrika with either a Zoltik or Tynamo I find in that cave and I'm probably gonna replace Unfezant.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I caved in and looked up the Elite Four. I may be in trouble. If you don't want to be spoiled on their teams, don't look.

1) Grimsley is going to be no trouble. His Pokemon are all part-Dark, making them all weak to Fighting-type moves - Bisharp, being Steel/Dark, has a double weakness - and two of them also weak to Bug-type moves, meaning Scrafty [sTABbed Brick Break], Darmanitan [sheer Forced Brick Break running off his massive Attack stat, 125 at level 40 and rising] and Samurott [X-Scissor off 105 Attack] will tear through his entire team.

2) Shauntal will be trickier, although I don't think by much. They're all weak to Dark, two are also weak to Water and a third to Electric, meaning I should probably include Zebstrika in the team. The only concern is Cofagrigus, which is only weak to Ghost and Dark but has a ridiculous Defense stat to somewhat protect it against Crunch. Nonetheless, it'll die - Scrafty's immune to Psychic, resists Shadow Ball and has great Defense and Special Defense.

3) Caitlin, see above. I love Krookodile for this battle - Caitlin's strongest Pokemon, L50 Gothitelle, has nothing that deals anything better than half damage to Krook, as his Ground/Dark typing makes him immune to Psychic and Electric attacks, and the same goes for Musharna as well. Zebstrika can hopefully deal with the Psychic/Flying Sigilyph, and Scrafty can fuck up Reuniculus if it goes south for Krook.

4) Marshal. Ah. All four of his Pokemon are pure Fighting-type, yes, but that means they have two weaknesses and I have nothing to exploit them. From the preliminary thoughts above, my team is going to be Scrafty, Krookodile, Samurott, Zebstrika and Darmanitan, meaning I need to get either a Psychic or a Flying-type Pokemon for that sixth slot and/or find a way to get a Psychic or Flying move on one of the previous. Samurott can somehow learn Aerial Ace, so it may need to be him, although it means losing Slash.

Tepig is the more offensive choice while Snivy is more defensive and Oshawott is balanced. Snivy is the hardest but the best looking imo so I took him. I kinda wish I had taken Oshawott though, not that many great water types around and he seems pretty solid. I'm usually more offense minded too.

The good thing about this game is that, no matter which starter you do choose, you have good options for the other two 'key' types. You've got Petilil/Lilligant if you didn't start with Snivy, the Tympole family if you didn't take Oshawott and Darumaka/Darmanitan if you didn't pick Tepig. I can't remember which one it was, but one of the previous versions had the Fire starter and maybe two other Fire-type families to choose from? Which sucked.

The good thing about this game is that, no matter which starter you do choose, you have good options for the other two 'key' types. You've got Petilil/Lilligant if you didn't start with Snivy, the Tympole family if you didn't take Oshawott and Darumaka/Darmanitan if you didn't pick Tepig. I can't remember which one it was, but one of the previous versions had the Fire starter and maybe two other Fire-type families to choose from? Which sucked.

Diamond and Pearl are what you're thinking of. Your choices for a Fire type were either the Infernape line or the Rapidash line. And that's it.

I was going to put something here about how well represented the Water type has been, and why a good Water replacement isn't an achievement, but looking at the list of Water types in B/W, there aren't that many. Seismitoad isn't actually that good - iffy attacking stats, average defenses, quad weak to Grass - but you've got Simipour which is alright even if it looks awful, Carracosta's good if you keep it away from Special attacks (and Grass types for that matter), and Jellicent is good fun for laughing at Special attackers - having used one, I can attest to this - but other than that there isn't much.

Amusingly, it's the Grass type that has more good alternatives to Serperior. You've got Simisage, Leavanny, Lilligant, Sawsbuck (this one is especially good imo, again one I've used), Ferrothorn, or even Maractus if you don't mind the fact that it moves with all the fervour of continental drift.

So many reasons to love Kaney already and he just keeps adding more and more. :wub: Anyone with Pokemon White, let me know if you want any Pokemon from Black. I've only just beaten the Second Gym Leader, but I'll make sure to capture two of any you guys need.

I would love if you caught an extra vullaby once you get later in the game and Iwill trade you a Rufflet (both exclusives to the respective games) , a Sawk would be pretty cool too and I could send a throh your way though I don't mind trading you any exclusives. I also want to reach 50 people traded to for the extra master ball and just to complete that. =) So PM me when you get them and we can trade FCs?

Just beat the Elite 4 on Black.

Current Team: (Possible spoilers)

Reshiram LV51

Seismitoad LV57

Leavanny LV56

Emboar LV57

Zebstrika LV52

Tranquill LV21

Tranquill is just there to fly me places, and Reshiram for obvious reasons to anybody that has beaten the Elite 4.

This is not going to be my proper decked out team though. I think I'll basically go over my pokedex when I've seen everything and decide what I want from that.

Proud of myself for not having checked out anything beforehand. Made some types hard to guess, and overall, more fun.

Search google for

'brand name' router settings

I did it this afternoon. Make sure when you're in your settings to have the router is set to show it's SSID. For some reason my DS couldn't find the access point when it wasn't.

Also, I am available for trades too, and I've completed the Unova Dex (sight-wise). Anybody needs anything from Black, feel free to ask.

Edited by Yugi Momo

Just picked up a DSi and Pokemon White so going to give it a whirl over the coming days.

Will have to set up my wireless to WEP though to be able to connect!

Also does the DSi have a infrared port?

Edited by chazmers

7th gym down, current team

L41 Seismitoad

L41 Galvantula

L42 Unfezant

L42 Darmanitan

L42 Serperior

L43 Krookodile

replaced Zebstrika with Galvantula, looking to replace Unfezant but I'd like another flyer. Archeos maybe?

I don't like using Legendarys just doesn't feel right.

Terrakion was the toughest to catch for me. Cobalion was on the second Dusk Ball, Zekrom and Volcarona were both with Ultra Balls fairly easily. I managed to miss Thundurus by my own stupidity >_>

Also, I forgot how great a levelling place Volcarona's Chamber is. Claydols FTW.

Got all of them except the grass/fighting one pretty easy. Used the Master on Tornadus though, just cause I fucking hate roamings.

And I haven't gone through the other half of the region yet, but I'll have to before Dissidia Duodecim comes out >_>

Terrakion was the toughest to catch for me. Cobalion was on the second Dusk Ball, Zekrom and Volcarona were both with Ultra Balls fairly easily. I managed to miss Thundurus by my own stupidity >_>

Also, I forgot how great a levelling place Volcarona's Chamber is. Claydols FTW.

Relic Castle, right? How soon can I get to the awesome levelling areas?

After taking a lok at some of the pokemon in the games, Im incredibly tempted to get the game and incredibly disappointed that I sold my DS several months ago. Though there are some pokemon that look stupid or seem like bad homages to Gen 1 or 2 pokemon, there seems to be a lot of excellent looking ones. Makes me want to go and play older games at home now >_<

If I wanted to use wifi with the games, what sort of DS would I need? Im not sure whether my wireless has WEP or WPA or whatever, but is there a DS that will allow you to connect using either encryption or do they only allow one or the other?